Golf 5 gti lost power while driving

Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Golf 5 gti lost power while driving

Post by Trishen94 »

Hi guys I'm new to forum my name is Trishen I bought a gti5 about 2months ago and never really hurt it until today I really enjoyed it in the rain I stopped at a robot and tried to wheelie again next thing I know car has no power there's no miss and no rough idling car sounds normal just no power still revs up full though just no power
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
Trishen94
Cadet

Re: Golf 5 gti lost power while driving

Post by Trishen94 »

Sorry forgot to mention cars dp,76mm exhaust and cai
Thanks in advance guys really appreciate if some1 can assist

Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Post by Titleists »

Might be the dv
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

Post by Dub rox »

Trishen94 wrote:Hi guys I'm new to forum my name is Trishen I bought a gti5 about 2months ago and never really hurt it until today I really enjoyed it in the rain I stopped at a robot and tried to wheelie again next thing I know car has no power there's no miss and no rough idling car sounds normal just no power still revs up full though just no power
Check your plumbing. Might be a boost leak or pipe that came off....

Sent from my VFD 1100 using Tapatalk

OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Titleists wrote:Might be the dv
What he said and the wastegate........

Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Thanks guys ...lol so where is the waste gate and which r the common pipes to check plz don't judge me but its my 1st turbo car thanks again guys

Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Trishen94 wrote:Thanks guys ...lol so where is the waste gate and which r the common pipes to check plz don't judge me but its my 1st turbo car thanks again guys
Did you hear a popping noise and have a sudden loss of power?

Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Ish buddy that's a hard 1 to answer I cannot recall any noises coz it was raining and my car is extremely loud only 1 box on a 76mm exhaust with r32 back ...so it's very difficult I did hit a few hard bumps coz u can't see the pot holes in the rain but not so hard that it damaged anything I'm really not sure guys ...ive checked the boost pipes on the intercooler ...guys say if u see oil then it's leaking ...there is not a drop of oil on my boost pipes but when I took them out I did find a few drops of oil inside the pipes

Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Trishen94 wrote:Ish buddy that's a hard 1 to answer I cannot recall any noises coz it was raining and my car is extremely loud only 1 box on a 76mm exhaust with r32 back ...so it's very difficult I did hit a few hard bumps coz u can't see the pot holes in the rain but not so hard that it damaged anything I'm really not sure guys ...ive checked the boost pipes on the intercooler ...guys say if u see oil then it's leaking ...there is not a drop of oil on my boost pipes but when I took them out I did find a few drops of oil inside the pipes
Oil inside the pipes and intercooler is quite normal to an certain extent... Start at the turbo and check all the boost pipes all the way to the intake manifold. It is posible one could have poped of causing the loss of power. Could be a number of things

Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Chec out the link. Might be of some help.

https://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=138627
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

I've read through it I will re check everything tomorrow once the rain is gone hope I find something ish

Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Hi guys just some feedback from myside I done the intake recently and cut my engine cover so that I could put it over the intake so that everything looks neat... I think it was hitting the sensor on top of the hpfp every time I launched hard or snapped between gears so I took of the sensor and soldered wires into it ...car has definitely gotten some power back but still feels underpowered compared to it before I had the problem maybe it's my mind playing games with me and everything is normal or could be loss of boost will check for boost leaks this afternoon but I think it's solved just me whose paranoid lol

Camo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 1 month
Car Model: White-G5 GTi

Post by Camo »

Trishen94 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:06 am Hi guys just some feedback from myside I done the intake recently and cut my engine cover so that I could put it over the intake so that everything looks neat... I think it was hitting the sensor on top of the hpfp every time I launched hard or snapped between gears so I took of the sensor and soldered wires into it ...car has definitely gotten some power back but still feels underpowered compared to it before I had the problem maybe it's my mind playing games with me and everything is normal or could be loss of boost will check for boost leaks this afternoon but I think it's solved just me whose paranoid lol
:lol: was gonna say check sensor not cracked. :bang: Happened to me also in rain
(common fault for sensor to crack when hot and cover hit top of sensor)

Power will come back in full again.
Give it a day or so so that the HPFP build up proper pressure again.

NB: Hope you solder wires correctly on that sensor!
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Hi bud I'm not good at all at soldering but ive tried my best lol hope it holds up but ive put some insulation tape around it to hold it ...power seems 70% there just still lacking that 30% not sure if something else is wrong but its definitely moving better

Camo
Lieutenant

Post by Camo »

where you based.
If not sure we can have a look and see if you did soldering properly. Mine also running like that and all good, thats after I had buy a another HPFP I just desided to fix it, Let us knw if you need any other help
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

I'm GP bru boksburg...im shocked at the amount of help u guys offer in this forum I really honestly take my hat off for u guys I really appreciate it ...so yeah I live in boksburg do u know of any1 who can assist me with my car I have a few minor issues on it but id personally prefer a car without any issues lol just like everybody else here

Mr blue balls
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 3 months
Car Model: MK5 GTI

Post by Mr blue balls »

Camo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:06 am where you based.
If not sure we can have a look and see if you did soldering properly. Mine also running like that and all good, thats after I had buy a another HPFP I just desided to fix it, Let us knw if you need any other help
Hi guys i think I may have the same problem on my mk5, it goes into limp mode mostly when i floor it for more than a few seconds... I checked the sensor on the hpfp and it definitely has a crack.. Do you have a tutorial maybe of how I can fix it up myself?

Here is a link to the image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10S5xKq ... p=drivesdk
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Mr blue balls wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:55 pm
Camo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:06 am where you based.
Hi guys i think I may have the same problem on my mk5, it goes into limp mode mostly when i floor it for more than a few seconds... I checked the sensor on the hpfp and it definitely has a crack.. Do you have a tutorial maybe of how I can fix it up myself?

Here is a link to the image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10S5xKq ... p=drivesdk
Exactly what mine looked like 1st step would be to un screw that sensor i think 30mm or 32mm spanner ...2nd step brake of the half that has the plug connector on it plz brake it of very carefully with as little pressure as possible in an upward and downward direction NOT SIDE TO SIDE once the plastic is of u will see 2 very tiny pins
step 3... u can either solder 2 wires onto those 2 pins... if ur soldering skills aint so sharp like mine u can go to builders and buy the smallest round push on lugs u can get and crimp them on
Step 4 DO NOT CUT the oem connector... splice the wires just behind the connector and join those 2 wires ...clear fault on vcds and bobs ur uncle...
PLZ NOTE this should be only a temporary fix plz try and source a sensor or new pump coz the solder could brake or push ons can become push offs and if ur overtaking a car and theres an on coming truck and it fails we might NOT have u on the forum anymore ...let us know if u need any more help bru... hope u win

Mr blue balls
Enlisted

Post by Mr blue balls »

Thanks so much... Do you have any idea where i could source a new sensor maybe?
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Mr blue balls wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:03 pm Thanks so much... Do you have any idea where i could source a new sensor maybe?
The only place u can get a new sensor is a scrap yard , from someone who has a dead pump or buy a brand new hpfp from goldwagon ... the sensors are not sold separately to my knowledge ...u can try putting an add out on the forum in the WANTED ITEMS section im sure some1 might have 1 ...

Camo
Lieutenant

Post by Camo »

sensor not available separate, would need to buy complete bump.

But mine been done proper and never had problem with it, driving car like that for years, after new pump did same. If cracked the car will do that and go into limp mode.

NB: I am in Alberton area but go to Boksburg alot. so maybe we can have a look at it some time.

Also check your engine cover, if those rubbers are gone they will coz the sensor to crack as it knocks on the sensor. those engine cover rubber are like R40 each.
Mr blue balls
Enlisted

Post by Mr blue balls »

Hi Camo

Thank you so much for that, i do see that the rubber grommets have worn out and will be sourcing new ones soonest.. In the mean time im not driving the car coz the limp mode thing is very irritating.

Had the pump and cam follower checked out, it seems its still fine... Could I pop in next week sometime so we can take a look at it together.... I think its insane that We cannot get that sensor separately and vw wants R6500 for a complete pump... If there is a way to fix the sensor I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Mr blue balls wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:08 pm Hi Camo

Thank you so much for that, i do see that the rubber grommets have worn out and will be sourcing new ones soonest.. In the mean time im not driving the car coz the limp mode thing is very irritating.

Had the pump and cam follower checked out, it seems its still fine... Could I pop in next week sometime so we can take a look at it together.... I think its insane that We cannot get that sensor separately and vw wants R6500 for a complete pump... If there is a way to fix the sensor I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me
Try goldwagon for the pump ... if its still too expensive there is a guy i know selling a 2nd hand working pump for R2500 or R3000 . But solder the wires i ran mine like that for a year so with no issues but just be carefull when working on the car not to lean on it and better option take the engine cover off n snap on a cold air intake ... :violin:

Camo
Lieutenant

Post by Camo »

Mr blue balls wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:08 pm Hi Camo

sorry late reply been out country,..if not sorted yet! yes you can pop around so we can check the car
hishyy22
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 days

Post by hishyy22 »

I won’t lie I’m having such a bad problem with golf 5 GTI I’ve so far changed the high pressure pump, low pressure pump, dv, cambelt, can follower

My car seems to go into power and then by about 4K revs and full throttle the car bogs down completely and doesn’t deliver power smoothly instead it goes on and off constantly until I change gears and lower the rev

Please can someone assist me into what you’ll think may be a problem