Jetta 5 TFSI rattling sound on startup and belt rubbing after major service

El 4 Romeo
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta 5 2.0 TFSI

Jetta 5 TFSI rattling sound on startup and belt rubbing after major service

Post by El 4 Romeo »

So before I start, I just want to make clear that I'm posting this to check whether I'm being paranoid or not. It's purely for a second opinion so that I'm prepared for my visit to the mechanic, who seems to be a stand-up guy.

We had a major service done about 2 weeks ago, that included a timing belt, tensioner and water pump replacement.

My wife uses the car, so I only noticed recently when she was reversing out that there was a rubbing sound coming from the engine. I asked her to open up the bonnet and could clearly hear the belt rubbing against the cover. Not something you could hear inside of the car but definitely audible to someone on the outside who knows what engines shouldn't sound like. I had to move the timing cover a bit later on when the rubbing noise was bad. However, no matter where I moved the cover, the belt still rubbed, albeit a bit more lightly.

There's also a plasticky, rattling sound on cold startup that disappears after about 5 seconds. I recorded it and sent the vid to the shop owner, who's asked me to bring it in. Sound at https://youtu.be/S_jTyt3MY8c . Am I being paranoid in thinking that there's a tensioner issue? It rattles every morning on startup for a few seconds.

There's another sound that comes and goes that I can't place. It's a random squeaking and rattling that is different to the tensioner startup sound but seems to come from the same area (could it also be the tensioner?). Sound at https://youtu.be/wpQVF7X0LY0

It's the first time we hear sounds like this since I bought the car 9 years ago. We're taking the car in tomorrow as the shop owner says it can be fixed while we wait. Is the combination of these three symptoms (rattle on cold start, squeaks and belt rubbing) indicative of a tensioner issue? If it is, should the belt be replaced as well after rubbing? Part failure can happen, so this is not a reflection of the shop's work - simply looking for an opinion other than my own.
VW Golf GTS 1982 (ex)
VW Jetta 5 2.0 T FSI 2007 (current)
Alfa Giulietta 2.0 Executive 1985 (ex)
Renault 9 GTL 1983 (ex)
Alfa Giulia 2000 GTV 1973 (current)
Alfa GTV 3.0 2001 (current)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Jetta 5 TFSI rattling sound on startup and belt rubbing after major service

Post by panic-mechanic »

Belt just not tight enough. Take it in and let them retension it.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
El 4 Romeo
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta 5 2.0 TFSI

Re: Jetta 5 TFSI rattling sound on startup and belt rubbing after major service

Post by El 4 Romeo »

panic-mechanic wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:08 am Belt just not tight enough. Take it in and let them retension it.
Thanks, panic. The mechanic said that it needs retensioning as well.
VW Golf GTS 1982 (ex)
VW Jetta 5 2.0 T FSI 2007 (current)
Alfa Giulietta 2.0 Executive 1985 (ex)
Renault 9 GTL 1983 (ex)
Alfa Giulia 2000 GTV 1973 (current)
Alfa GTV 3.0 2001 (current)