Golf 4 1.8t 110kw AGU oil pressure

Dr. Green
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Golf 4 1.8t 110kw AGU oil pressure

Post by Dr. Green »

Hi all

I hope to find a recommendation from someone on this forum.

My car broke 220km from home with an oil pressure error. I took it to a reputable workshop in cpt after I had it towed from swellendam to cpt. The car spent a week there they replaced the oil pressure switch but it did not fix the problem. They suspect a faulty cluster. I drove the car home yesterday no problems but this morning the error is back.

The macanic in swellendam and Google searches leads me to believe that it might be the pick up pipe in the samp that gets glogged with sludge.

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a workshop in cpt that can fix whatever the issue is with my oil pressure?

I am done with my current workshop as they are making excuses not to fix problems.

TIA
Dr. Green
Cadet

Re: Golf 4 1.8t 110kw AGU oil pressure

Post by Dr. Green »

So it's been more than 4 months and R12000 later and I still have the same problem with my car.

I am told that I need to find a cluster and abs pump oem parts from vw is almost R45000 and I can't find second hand parts.

I will drive the car and the rev counter will drop to 0 and I get an oil pressure low stop motor error. The sump has been serviced new earth wire and god know what else they did to my car.

Is there anyone who can please point me in the direction of a reliable workshop in cpt who can help me sort out this problem?
Pynoxim
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Membership No: missing

Post by Pynoxim »

Why do they say you need a new ABS pump?
Thursday Milkshake Crew
'00 GS2 Lexus GS300
Dr. Green
Cadet

Post by Dr. Green »

They say a scan reveals that there is no communication between the abs pump and cluster. To be fair I did get a abs error from time to time on the car before this oil pressure error started.

When I turn ignition on abs lights stays on. Weird thing is when the revs are on zero and I get this oil pressure low error when I hit a speedbump it goes away and all is normal again. The car will then drive fine untill I for some reason get the error again. Problem being intermittent is making it difficult to fix
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Are you 100% sure there are no broken wires or wires that are possibly frayed and touching something causing the intermittent issues?
That is the first thing I would look for if it was my car.

Such a small simple thing as a broken/frayed wire can cause many expensive headaches.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Dr. Green
Cadet

Post by Dr. Green »

Well the workshop I opted to take it to said they have checked all this. I ended up paying them 12k only for it to be the same. As an added bonus they bumped the car so busy respraying the front bumper and they also got a R500 speeding fine during the 4 months of which they had the car
Dr. Green
Cadet

Post by Dr. Green »

It's been a freakin nightmare to get this sorted. I am unfortunately not technically inclined at all
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

For starters, I would temporarily install a simple mechanical oil pressure gauge. This way, you can be sure that the oil pressure itself is OK.

Secondly, when monitoring oil pressure, the cluster uses a combination of two signals: the oil pressure signal itself and the engine revs. If the rev signal falls away, then the cluster generates an oil pressure warning, even though the oil pressure may be perfectly normal. The fact that your rev counter is falling to zero, seems to indicate that this is the case. I would therefore wager a guess that there is a bad, intermittent rev signal contact between the engine (or ECU) and the cluster.

I don't know the AGU engine, so I can't give any pointers on tracing and fixing the rev signal. But others here should be able to help.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Firstly - on those clusters if the rev counter goes zero and the engine is still running it will always show an oil pressure fault as it expects it to be zero.
Ie they are fixing the wrong issue. Just get another cluster then your oil pressure issue will go away.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Dr. Green
Cadet

Post by Dr. Green »

Gentleman thank you. I am getting a better understanding of what is wrong.

I will continue my search for a second hand cluster and perhaps get the abs pump that goes with it since I've had abs issues before this already. I cannot afford the new parts from vw.

Problem is I have a 2004 1.8t not a gti so it very difficult to find the parts second hand as there weren't a lot of the 1.8t non gti's
Dr. Green
Cadet

Post by Dr. Green »

So I found a 132kw version cluster and abs pump. The guy who is selling says it will work on my car. Can anyone confirm?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

very likely yes.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Dr. Green
Cadet

Post by Dr. Green »

Great thanks
22irwin.mercure
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 6 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3

Post by 22irwin.mercure »

The cluster will not be a direct swop. You will have to change your ecu, cluster and key. The agu 110kw is different to the 132kw version.

Sent from my m1 note using Tapatalk

Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Aslam_mk4
SO FLUFFY, WE ALL GONNA DIE!
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Membership No: 1824

Post by Aslam_mk4 »

Dr. Green wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:24 am So I found a 132kw version cluster and abs pump. The guy who is selling says it will work on my car. Can anyone confirm?
Pull the pin code from your old cluster

Connect new cluster to the car and pull new cluster pin

Recode new cluster using old cluster pin so it matches the Ecu and key immobilizer chip.

Been there done that a few times already
Bagged mk4 2dr

"Ride or die"