Seat 1.8t no power

Trev1g
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Seat 1.8t no power

Post by Trev1g »

Good day guys

I have Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8T, just a little back story to it, the car had dropped a valve in December and I had the engine completely rebuilt in February, new bearings, new gaskets, new forged conrods, a good second hand set of agu pistons, got a second hand head that was fully refurbished as well has changed all the exhaust valves on it. Car was fully assembled in March.

Here's the problem, the car started on the second swing, and idles perfectly at 750rpm. However the problem is that the car has no power between idle and + - 2500rpm of which the car goes into boost and the car picks up speed effortlessly.

The car does not smoke, does not miss and there is no backfire, just a flatspot between idle and boost.

The car had been scanned and the only fault was the cam sensor. A compression test was performed and it was found that all 4 cylinders compression is evenly low.

Timing was checked by 3 different mechanics all of which said it was right.

Any help would be highly appreciated. As it is difficult using a car that barely has first gear power to go over a speed hump.

Thank you

Regards
Trev

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

farrell15
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 7 months
Car Make: Hyuandai
Car Model: Tiburon FL2 GTv6

Re: Seat 1.8t no power

Post by farrell15 »

Trev1g wrote:Good day guys

I have Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8T, just a little back story to it, the car had dropped a valve in December and I had the engine completely rebuilt in February, new bearings, new gaskets, new forged conrods, a good second hand set of agu pistons, got a second hand head that was fully refurbished as well has changed all the exhaust valves on it. Car was fully assembled in March.

Here's the problem, the car started on the second swing, and idles perfectly at 750rpm. However the problem is that the car has no power between idle and + - 2500rpm of which the car goes into boost and the car picks up speed effortlessly.

The car does not smoke, does not miss and there is no backfire, just a flatspot between idle and boost.

The car had been scanned and the only fault was the cam sensor. A compression test was performed and it was found that all 4 cylinders compression is evenly low.

Any help would be highly appreciated. As it is difficult using a car that barely has first gear power to go over a speed hump.

Thank you

Regards
Trev

Sounds like cam timing. But speak to Panic here on the club he'll sort you out.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

2009 Hyundai Tiburon FL2 GTv6 (Big turbo project)
2009 Golf MK5 GTI dsg (SOLD)
1979 Golf MK1 2L (SOLD)
2007 Polo 1.9 TDI (BEEEEEEG turbo) (SOLD)
1998 Jetta MK3 ABF 2.0 16v (SOLD)
1990 Jetta MK2 ABF
1968 Baja bug 2.0 Kombi project ABF (SOLD)

Precision Auto Works

2003 Audi 1.8t 20v GT28
2002 Polo 9n 1.9 tdi PD100

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Agree 100% cam timing definately. Probably find the ting is out at the chain between the cams. It's easy to get it wrong when assembling the head.
farrell15 wrote:
Trev1g wrote:Good day guys

Thank you

Regards
Trev

Sounds like cam timing. But speak to Panic here on the club he'll sort you out.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Trev1g
Enlisted

Post by Trev1g »

Thanks guys

The cam timing was checked at the chain, I've tried to attach pictures of it.
These were taken with the lifter up.

Not sure if its correct

Regards,
TrevImageImage

farrell15
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 7 months
Car Make: Hyuandai
Car Model: Tiburon FL2 GTv6

Post by farrell15 »

Trev1g wrote:Thanks guys

The cam timing was checked at the chain, I've tried to attach pictures of it.
These were taken with the lifter up.

Not sure if its correct

Regards,
TrevImageImage

Count 16 links on the chain

The first mark looks off Image

2009 Hyundai Tiburon FL2 GTv6 (Big turbo project)
2009 Golf MK5 GTI dsg (SOLD)
1979 Golf MK1 2L (SOLD)
2007 Polo 1.9 TDI (BEEEEEEG turbo) (SOLD)
1998 Jetta MK3 ABF 2.0 16v (SOLD)
1990 Jetta MK2 ABF
1968 Baja bug 2.0 Kombi project ABF (SOLD)

Precision Auto Works

2003 Audi 1.8t 20v GT28
2002 Polo 9n 1.9 tdi PD100

ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Few things ,

Was the Cam Sensor Fault resolved?
Was the VVT reconnected?
Did you use a Big or small port replacement head?
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Trev1g
Enlisted

Post by Trev1g »

Thanks Farrell will check it this evening.

Ice king, we cleared the fault it came back , did not change the cam sensor as it was the one used on the old cylinder head. Was not sure if I should change it or that the sensor was related to other things. Should I change it?

The new cylinder head is small port head of a polo gti(bjx) and the VVT is connected.

Thanks

Regards,
Trev