2014 Tiguan 1.4 TSi (90kw) Bluemotion - Turbo & Gearbox

JuandreR
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan 1.4 TSi Bluemotion

2014 Tiguan 1.4 TSi (90kw) Bluemotion - Turbo & Gearbox

Post by JuandreR »

Hi everyone, I want to ask for some opinions / advice regarding a major issue I am having with my Tiguan.
I bought the vehicle second hand on 31 August 2017, having only 107 000km on the clock and still under warranty at the time.

In September 2017, I booked the vehicle in with VW for a gearbox noise and engine misfire. The gearbox would make a noise whilst driving in the residential areas at low speeds. The engine would also misfire at times when turning off the highway, slowing down, gearing down and then accelerating. The engine would also misfire on cold start for a few seconds and then become stable. This was explained to the dealership, but the vehicle came back as "All okay, no problem found". There is a jobcard for this.

I took the vehicle back several times after that for the same faults, and each time the explanation was that the gearbox noise I was hearing, was being caused by the tyres on the vehicle. I did not agree with this as the noise went away when you pressed in the clutch. To my surprise though, for the recurring times that the vehicle went back for these faults, no jobcards were opened.

I eventually gave up with that and kept driving the vehicle. My next issue I found was that the radio was faulty in the vehicle. I reported this to the dealership, they tested it and claimed it under warranty. It took a good 6 weeks for the new one to arrive, but okay.

The vehicle also kept showing "Low Battery" on the radio and at times wouldn't start. This was reported and they replaced the vehicle battery. The vehicle was fine for 2 days and started doing it again. I took it back and they replaced the battery in the key as well. Vehicle was fine afterwards for about 2 months, and started doing the same again although the car is starting.

We went away to KZN over December for the holidays, and my wife noticed the car was starting to smoke when idling. At that stage I called one of the technicians whom I know at the dealership, and asked what the cause could be or if I need to be worried. He informed me that it could be the Turbo leaking, but that it should be okay.

Once we came back from holiday, I took the vehicle in again, (once again no jobcard was done) although the car was supplied back to me with explanation "No fault found. The car is not smoking". There was also a whistling sound coming from the engine/turbo when the car is idling. This was also reported to VW. The vehicle had just left its warranty at this stage.

I then decided to take the vehicle for a second opinion, and the company that checked the Turbo found that it is worn inside. They supplied me with a report which I supplied to VW. Surprisingly after this report, they informed me that the Turbo needed to be replaced and that the gearbox had damages in excess of R50 000. Total damage according to the quote from VW is R80 000 on my Tiguan. (Turbo & Gearbox).

VWSA & The Dealership has agreed to cover 75% of all the costs involved as the vehicle is now out of warranty, and that I am liable for the remainder 25% of the costs which comes to R20 000. My question is, why should I be liable for any costs as I went out of my way several times in order to report to them that there is a serious issue with the vehicle. They failed to properly diagnose the vehicle, thus leading to damages now.

I have tried getting in touch with VWSA, they investigated the matter and informed me that they will not change their decision as they are paying the 75% out of goodwill, since the vehicle is out of warranty. But again, if they had properly done their work in the first place, they would have picked this up whilst the vehicle was in warranty still.

Your opinions? What do I stand to do? I don't have the money right now to fix this out of pocket
JuandreR
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months
Car Model: Tiguan 1.4 TSi Bluemotion

Re: 2014 Tiguan 1.4 TSi (90kw) Bluemotion - Turbo & Gearbox

Post by JuandreR »

I forgot to mention, according to the dealership there was a Technical Bulletin for the Turbo. 2020616/19, however I cannot find anything on this and they do not want to supply me with a copy of the bulletin information.
Tman21
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 7 years 10 months
Car Model: BosPolo
Membership No: 3247

Re: 2014 Tiguan 1.4 TSi (90kw) Bluemotion - Turbo & Gearbox

Post by Tman21 »

You should have forced them to give you documentation upon every visit. In this case if they are footing 75% of the bill after warranty expired I would take it and run.
Success: When hard work meets opportunity :-)
#TMAN21