Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Re: DSG reliability

Post by Kyle »

Neuk wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Neuk wrote:DSG gearboxes are not unlike the PD130 9n Polo Sportline TDi's, failures while somewhat common, were completely luck of the draw. I know of many people who have looked after ther cars well and had no failures, who have looked after their cars and had failures, haven't looked after their cars and had no failures, etc, etc. I decided that when I bought my R I wanted DSG but I wouldn't own it without a full maintenance plan, not onbly due to the DSG but modern cars in general are exorbitantly expensive to repair. DSG gearboxes are fantastic, despite the failures, the proof is in how widely the concept is used these days by a lot of manufacturers.
Yeah having a maintenance plan really does make life easy, although I had little faith in my car (and the technology) after the failure I experienced. You go from a car you'd jump in and drive 700km without even stressing to wondering if you're going to make it to work.

I really do like the technology and the 7 speed in my Audi was epic when it worked, probably the best daily I've owned... But cars that still have manufacturer warranty are still to expensive for me.
There in lies the issue with many peoples views on a maintenance plan, it helps financially but does very little when you are stranded next to the side of the road. I wouldn't own a new modern car without it though, repair costs are just crazy.
Well exactly, you need to consider the whole experience and not just "the repair will be free", that and the fact that the Audi gave off absolutely no warning signs... Drove perfectly to a red light and then never took off again.

I remember sitting in my nice Audi in traffic waiting for the tow truck while people in their 1994 Toyotas were looking in the car with smug looks on their faces :lol:
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Kyle wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Neuk wrote:DSG gearboxes are not unlike the PD130 9n Polo Sportline TDi's, failures while somewhat common, were completely luck of the draw. I know of many people who have looked after ther cars well and had no failures, who have looked after their cars and had failures, haven't looked after their cars and had no failures, etc, etc. I decided that when I bought my R I wanted DSG but I wouldn't own it without a full maintenance plan, not onbly due to the DSG but modern cars in general are exorbitantly expensive to repair. DSG gearboxes are fantastic, despite the failures, the proof is in how widely the concept is used these days by a lot of manufacturers.
Yeah having a maintenance plan really does make life easy, although I had little faith in my car (and the technology) after the failure I experienced. You go from a car you'd jump in and drive 700km without even stressing to wondering if you're going to make it to work.

I really do like the technology and the 7 speed in my Audi was epic when it worked, probably the best daily I've owned... But cars that still have manufacturer warranty are still to expensive for me.
There in lies the issue with many peoples views on a maintenance plan, it helps financially but does very little when you are stranded next to the side of the road. I wouldn't own a new modern car without it though, repair costs are just crazy.
Well exactly, you need to consider the whole experience and not just "the repair will be free", that and the fact that the Audi gave off absolutely no warning signs... Drove perfectly to a red light and then never took off again.

I remember sitting in my nice Audi in traffic waiting for the tow truck while people in their 1994 Toyotas were looking in the car with smug looks on their faces :lol:
I was at Pecanwood on the Hartebeespoort dam this weekend and went for a run yesterday morning. In the 6km's that I did I saw the following parked off, either outside or in a garage...

Series II Range Rover - It has been tehre for months and hasn't moved an inch.
Series III Range Rover - **** suspension, it is lower than anything PoLonY has ever worked on, parked for months.
Series III Range Rover - **** suspension, in a garage with a small cover over it and **** on its roof, first time I have seen it.
Mercedes Benz S55 AMG - **** suspension, it has been moved from the owners house to common parking but is still very much, ****.

If you can't afford to repair or service it, don't buy it.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

Yeah hey, some really attractive deals out there... Most people don't consider that a single component could cost the value of the car (or even higher). And then you add another dimension of ****ery when you decide to buy one of "those" vehicles on finance. And now you're paying installments on a really small lounge /Large garden ornament, because chances are that if you couldn't afford to buy the vehicle outright, then you can't afford to pay the repair bill.

I get what you're saying though, all brands have their common issues, and I was fortunate enough to afford the repair bill on the Audi... A quarter of the value of a vehicle and money that I definitely would not be able to recoup... Quite frustrating especially since the unit only lasted 60k kms until it needed replacement.

So basically, if you're fine with the risk of breaking down randomly and not having a car for a week or two.. then a DSG under MANUFACTURER warranty will do, otherwise... it's a real gamble.
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
jimbo
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 1.9 TDI DSG

Post by jimbo »

So...are failures more common in the 7 speed 'dry' clutch DSG box as opposed to the 6 speed 'wet' clutch DQ250?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Jacques venter
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Vivo

Post by Jacques venter »

Thank you so much for all the replies. Ill try and get to test drive and decide from there. Thanx for the warm welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by MrMazda »

damn cars have become to complicated. Even flippen manual gearboxes with DMF that require replacement with every clutch kit
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

MrMazda wrote:damn cars have become to complicated. Even flippen manual gearboxes with DMF that require replacement with every clutch kit
That is not complicated, it is just a pain in the ass.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

And relatively expensive.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
MrMazda
Cadet

Post by MrMazda »

Neuk wrote:
MrMazda wrote:damn cars have become to complicated. Even flippen manual gearboxes with DMF that require replacement with every clutch kit
No man in the good oll days flywheels used to outlast the car, so now it's complicated at least as far as the purse or bank manager is concerned.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

MrMazda wrote:
Neuk wrote:
No man in the good oll days flywheels used to outlast the car, so now it's complicated at least as far as the purse or bank manager is concerned.
Flywheels are no longer simply flywheels, they are dampening devices as well, they really can't be compared to older SMF's. The cost is a little crazy though, I paid close to R15k to replace the clutch and DMF on my B6 A4 a few years back.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
MrMazda
Cadet

Post by MrMazda »

Neuk wrote:
MrMazda wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Flywheels are no longer simply flywheels, they are dampening devices as well, they really can't be compared to older SMF's. The cost is a little crazy though, I paid close to R15k to replace the clutch and DMF on my B6 A4 a few years back.
Also true, probably giving my age away here big time. I grew up in the time when any car not only fords could be fixed with a hammer. pliers & bloudraad.
Rourke
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Rourke »

Crazy new car costs.

Remember when people used to say VW is the cheapest car to fix? well that left the building since golf 4 was introduced.

Reading through this post i see why a lot of manufacturers don't have the vrrrpa effect.

I applaud VW for the technology like others as it might be a hell of a driving experience( I never driven in a dsg nor have i driven 1 yet), just seeing those gtis and Rs flying up the road with that wonderful noise it makes.

I can tell you that alot of people are buying the cars just because of what they see other people doing with the car and the noise it make, oh and obviously its new with various other luxury items and tech. Who would not want it?

Also if i think about it, a automatic car becomes more and more appealing and i don't even live in a major city like jhb, pretoria, cpt and durbs.

the dsg just makes that more fun.

newer tech is always going to be expensive, lifes a gamble, look at the ford kugar?

I have also seen many mercs bms and land rovers on the side of the road even getting on a flatbed trailer.

ON the Fsi side i am also scared hey , have seen a few fsi jetta 5 and golf 5 cars with crismas tree lights for clusters. I dont know the reason for it , but why must vw always act up ? I have not yet seen a toyota with the same problems, maybe the older cars. As i 1nc heard my freind with a Rsi runX say his sensors are broken and needs replacement. thats about it that i heard from toyota.

With Vw even from citi golfs its always a trottlebody sensor and map sensor a temp sensor computer box problems etc.
What can we say thats life.

For me its your money and you do with it what pleases you , but only the good things in life.
ob wan
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 3 months
Car Model: MK1 2.0 16vT
Membership No: missing

Post by ob wan »

i broke 3 mechatronic units in my g5gti, the last one held so i sold the car (coz i didn't take it to Zwartkops...)
dmf's can now be machined to smf, i had one made for a cuzzy with a mini cooperS coz the dmf alone was R16K at the dealers, the smf cost him R7500 with my "mark-up".... it didn't even shudder! was smooth as a gupta
05 G5 Gti (ex)
97 LSvtec (ex)
05 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6
Mk1 velo 2.0 16v...Turbo
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

DMF can be machined to SMF? I'm seriously interested. Can you tell us more?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
ob wan
Cadet

Post by ob wan »

not the dmf itself, but the unit can be copied and machined to be a smf, very simple and takes the hassle out of replacing the dmf every time the clutch goes
05 G5 Gti (ex)
97 LSvtec (ex)
05 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6
Mk1 velo 2.0 16v...Turbo
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

ob wan wrote:i broke 3 mechatronic units in my g5gti
How'd you manage this?
ob wan
Cadet

Post by ob wan »

Howie-WP wrote:
ob wan wrote:i broke 3 mechatronic units in my g5gti
How'd you manage this?
gets too hot and it pops... not meant for trackdays...
05 G5 Gti (ex)
97 LSvtec (ex)
05 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6
Mk1 velo 2.0 16v...Turbo
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Pick up phone or mail DRD - buy smf clutch kit. Done. No need to get anything specially made.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

ThatBloke
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by ThatBloke »

panic-mechanic wrote:Pick up phone or mail DRD - buy smf clutch kit. Done. No need to get anything specially made.
What does Drd stand for?
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

ThatBloke wrote:
panic-mechanic wrote:Pick up phone or mail DRD - buy smf clutch kit. Done. No need to get anything specially made.
What does Drd stand for?
Dr Dolittle.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Delarey racing development. Ok simply PM breadroll or viper here. Is that easier?
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

ThatBloke wrote:
billionairebum wrote:I cannot afford a R40 000 repair and that is why I do not own one. Simple.
Me too, the blind one is one someone clueless buys a vehicle without knowing the potential cost and a month's down the line the box breaks. Even worse is if they bought it Hp and don't have anything in the kitty for expensive repairs.
dazza wrote:Luck of the draw...you will very quickly know if there is an issue after a proper test drive.
All this being said there are now guys that can fix/refurb the mechatronic units so no need to fork out 30-40k for a replacement
If not R30-40k how much?
Which generation Dsg boxes can they work on?

Can't be a whole lot less than R30k because you will need to add clutch packs, even a good old manual box doesn't come much under R15k to repair these days, if you are lucky.
Just a note...just because there is an issue does not mean that you need to fix/replace the mechatronics as well as replace clutch packs. It will either be one or the other very rarely will it be both. If its a clutch issue then replace the clutches, if its mechatronics then sort the mechatronics.
For cost give VagSpecCentre a call in Randburg and see what they have to say.
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

Jacques venter wrote:Thank you so much for all the replies. Ill try and get to test drive and decide from there. Thanx for the warm welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try do an extended test drive, preferably in some decent traffic where there is a fair amount of start/stop. Based on this you should fairly easily be able to tell if there is an issue. The box should be really smooth and if there is clunking or knocking when you comes of the brakes then you know generally there is an issue.
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
ralph@bluffo.co.za
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years

Post by ralph@bluffo.co.za »

Got a very strange issue on a 7 speed DSG 2010 Q5 3.0 tdi.

I get two errors on my dash:
1 Gearbox malfunction you can continue to drive. (No issues and car drives as normal)

2 Gearbox malfunction, you can continue to drive (limited functionality)

The second one I can carry on driving until I get down to 2nd gear where it dumps me in neutral until I come to a stop. You can then hear the gearbox leaver "lock" and you cannot move it until you turn the car off, and then can you put her in park. If you leave the car off (key out ignition) until the dash turns off, you can then restart the car and all is well again. However if you try start the car before the dash resets, it stays in that gearbox error state, and you can't shift out of park.

It's not one of the normal multitronic malfunctions that people are mentioning with odd or even gears not being able to be selected. No jurking or sudden gear shifts. Reverse is also 100%.

Oh have changed the gearbox oil less than 4000km ago at the agents...

The error I get on the RossTech program is:

VIN: WAUZZZ8R9AA108324
Car: Audi Q5
Year: 2010
Body type: SUV
Engine: CCWA 176 kW (239 HP) 3.0 l
Mileage: 149660 KM

---------------------------------------------------------------
02 Transmission

System description: 0B5 30 TDIRdW
Software number: 8R0927156AD
Software version: 0003