ABF turbo head mods?

Pankop
Cadet
Registered for: 19 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: VW Amarok

ABF turbo head mods?

Post by Pankop »

Need some help. busy building an abf turbo. so im going all in... sub assembly is fully worked(h-beam rods, arias pistons, arp bolts all over, acl bearings black series). sooo my head is still standard.. any advice on what you guys recommend.... looking to make about 400hp on the wheels..
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: ABF turbo head mods?

Post by Unobeat »

I am sure Viper, Vwpro, Donovan, maranou, graham savage and even Papajo will pop in to advise.

Oh have a read here http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=187479 as well and droll over some EPIC numbers that there motors are pushing.
Last edited by Unobeat on Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Citi 007
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: Citi 1.8i Ltd
Membership No: 1972

Post by Citi 007 »

What size turbo? Your target of 300wkw can be done without headwork
Pankop
Cadet

Post by Pankop »

still deciding on a turbo. not sure yet on the wheel sizes.. going to run a 6 speed audi tt gearbox. mmmmm no headwork required? sounds good..

injector size im going to use is 1200cc... with 60-2 dicktator.
Dirty Harry
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 3 months
Car Make: People Carrier
Car Model: footswagen
Membership No: 1640

Post by Dirty Harry »

1200cc? Yoh, is that not a bit overkill?

But yeah, no head work you should be ok for 400hp. I think more time should be spent worrying about turbo spec, not headwork ha ha. These heads flow pretty well standard, and you have the ABF cams which helps.
Citi 007
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: Citi 1.8i Ltd
Membership No: 1972

Post by Citi 007 »

What fuel and what turbo?

Idle is gonna be hectic rich with 1200cc injectors and pump fuel or avgas

Gt35 1.5 bar boost on avgas with stock head will take you to where you want to be and lots of headroom for improvement.
Pankop
Cadet

Post by Pankop »

haha I also though so about injectors. but ja my tuner said it will be fine(auto econo.. Gideon).

ok cool will do a bit of research on the turbo then :-D
Pankop
Cadet

Post by Pankop »

plenum, flywheel, clutch and branch.. was build by branch worx... so think those things will work lekke
Zubair
Major-General
Registered for: 21 years 2 months
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: missing

Post by Zubair »

You need half that injector size for 400whp.
Ex '02 Citi.Com 20VT K04
Ex '12 GTI 6 Candy White,Manual,Revo STG 2, 250whp 460nm KAR pump fuel only.

'80 MK1 L 2Dr 8V Throttles
'92 CTI 16VT 240whp @ Panic 0.3 bars boost.
'12 GTI 6 Candy White DSG 14.4 @ 160km/h Tarlton Stock Std.

Zubair Aka Boost Junkie

ZUB-AIR-RESEARCH
Boost Developments
Pankop
Cadet

Post by Pankop »

mmmm ok. will buy a set of 750cc also just for incase :-)
ABF
Enlisted
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Model: Golf 1

Post by ABF »

my ABF turbo runs perfect with the new Bosch 1600c injectors(pencil type), no idling issues at all as these are new technology injectors.
Precision 6262 turbo on a stock motor(no forge parts and no headwork-engine has not been opened since purchasing it 7 years ago) with full ethanol is making close to 380hp at the wheels. Your target with the forge goodies will be easily obtained without headwork.
vwpro
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi Quatro, polo Beast and A3
Car Model: S3, Polo Playa,

Post by vwpro »

ABF wrote:my ABF turbo runs perfect with the new Bosch 1600c injectors(pencil type), no idling issues at all as these are new technology injectors.
Precision 6262 turbo on a stock motor(no forge parts and no headwork-engine has not been opened since purchasing it 7 years ago) with full ethanol is making close to 380hp at the wheels. Your target with the forge goodies will be easily obtained without headwork.

yip you are correct, no head work needed to do that power, I also use 1600cc injectors, price the same as smaller ones, run ethanol with garret gt3071r , standard head and no problem to get into the 300wkw zone
:troll:
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT

Post by PapaJo »

Stock ABF head and cams will do the job for that power figure depending on the type of turbo you choose and where in the rev range you want to make the power.

VWPRO's turbo spec is a good choice and works well with not too much lag.

ABF cams work as they are and no need for larger duration cam. You can always at a later stage do the exhaust cam mod, but then you need to be knowing what you are doing to get the cam centres and overlap correct. Lots of internet info about that. There is a few secrets to a 16V head and if done wrong, that wrongly modified head will make less power than a standard head. Rather leave it std.

I'm going for a gtx3076r with 800c injectors, Wossner pistons and H-beam rods on a 1800 16V KR motor.

750cc injectors will get you at the power you want if coupled to the correct sized turbo. Remember this is not the only limiting factors and you need to look at cooling on the motor and also intercooler setup and boost pipe size to optimize your setup. One wrong match up could rob you of power or even a motor.

Get a proven and proper type FPR and fuel pump (044 Bosch) and larger diameter fuel lines too.
doctordubs
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by doctordubs »

Citi 007 reads minds lol. Its a fact that vw heads are over engineered. In terms of design flow and effeciency. Unless your gonna run 2.5 bar boost and aiming at 600 plus horses. Modding the head isn't necessary or worth it.

Sent from my GT-S5280 using Tapatalk
Von 2e
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by Von 2e »

ABF wrote:my ABF turbo runs perfect with the new Bosch 1600c injectors(pencil type), no idling issues at all as these are new technology injectors.
Good day ABF. If I may ask what size housings do you have on the 6262 turbo.? And at what RPM does it start spooling?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

The oke younare asking the question of hasn't been on this forum for 3 years. Almost doubt that you will get a reply.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.