ruan9n
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Scirocco 2.0TSI dsg
Membership No: 1343

Re: Golf 5 GTI issues. Please Help

Post by ruan9n »

My mk5 had very similar issues... Even with wmi + s3 cooler + forge twin cooler I saw -5 to -6 timing pull on cyl4 also boost didn't go past 1.25bar! Took the turbo off...what we found is the nuts holding the manifold to the motor could be loosened by hand around cyl 3 and 4! Also the actuator lost tension, so much so that the wastegate inside the turbo could spin around 360* freely! Tightened the actuator, then got a new dp gasket, new manifold gasket and new nuts holding the manifold down! PROBLEM SOLVED!
Candy white Scirocco 2.0TSI DSG StormtrooperXL 195kw 456nm @ stealth
Revo stage 2, Revo 76mm dp, Revo throttle pipe, APR 1&2 Carbonio intake, Neuspeed hiflow discharge pipe, H&R springs, 19" RS3 wheels, R8 coils, Iridiums, BSH dogbone insert, TTRS lca's, R interior.

Ex: Golf 6 GTI aka "pepper" 252hp 420nm
Ex: Golf 5 GTI aka "stormtrooper" 190kw 390nm
Ex: 9n Polo TDI sportline "The cupra polo" 125kw 430nm
Ex: Some other polos
MacMan
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: Tarraco XC 1.5 TSi
Membership No: 478

Post by MacMan »

I had the same issue when going Revo 2 on my car. I then fitted the Autotech HPFP internals and the issue went away.
'20 SEAT Tarraco XC 1.5 TSi
'12 VW Up! 1.0 MPi

Ex:
'06 Golf MKV GTi
'04 Golf MKIV GTi.:R
'99 Citi Golf 2.0i

Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears.
4 100KS GP
Cadet
Registered for: 20 years 7 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: MKV Gti
Membership No: missing

Post by 4 100KS GP »

@ Ruan9n - thanks will check the nuts and the actuator, if the actuator is loose how much should I tension it ?

@ Macman - thanks will keep that in mind, going to log again and check if there is any improvement with the new pump.

I'll update after we log.

Thanks
vdub caddy
Ian F's special snugglebunny
Registered for: 14 years 4 months
Car Model: Caddy
Membership No: 1548

Post by vdub caddy »

Solo786 wrote:Thats quite rich hey.. and you say revo settings are on F9?
whats your long term fuel trims at?
Any idea what the IDC is as well?

You have timing pull, and i thinks its dumping fuel..

lets see the LTFT
He sent me the logs, not all the measuring blocks are in there I would like to see.

Once we log the car again, we can update accordingly.
4 100KS GP
Cadet

Post by 4 100KS GP »

Morning guys,

Well the problem still persists but now the fuel pressure drop only occurs between 3100rpm and 3900rpm not sure what would have caused this improvement if I might say that. What I also noticed is that the car pings slightly, heard this while we were logging. Did some searching and found a post by (Macman) were he had pinging issues as well and the problem turned out to be carbon build up. I had the carbon clean done about 40k ago but the injectors were not removed. So I've decided to remove the intake and have a look at the valves and injectors, now while the intake is off I was advised to change the fuel pressure regulator to the RS4 one.

Now correct me If I’m wrong , the ecu only requests 109.99 bar fuel pressure currently, so I don't see the point in in upgrading the regulator, or am I wrong ? . Reading a post on the Vortex forum and it seems to be a recommend mod although there were claims that the valve caused a stock HPFP to seize not sure how true this is.

So my question to you is, since I will be removing the intake should I or shouldn’t I upgrade this part ( bearing in mind my fuel pressure issue) and will it cause strain on a stock HPFP ?

Thanks
ruan9n
Post Whore

Post by ruan9n »

Have you tried removing your intake and reinstalling it then cleaning your maf sensor? Is your forge dv working as it should? Don't like those forge dv's...oem rev H with a dv+ solution is the best out there now! Your dp...are all 4 bolts tightened down still and no leaks anywhere at the dp flex or anywhere else in the exhaust? None of these relate to fuel pressure but you have to start at inspecting hardware mods then move onto common problems like carbon buildup, fuel pumps, injectors.

Air- clean air filter, check intake for loose clamps, check boost pipes, cooler end tanks, dv. It's hard or even impossible to check your wastegate or turbo for cracks without removing it then refitting it with new gaskets and bolts.

Fuel- fuel filter, fuel lines, injectors and their seals- you could try an injector cleaner, lpfp, hpfp- your follower has been replaced, jerking car on stage 2 could be fuelcuts which is common on some cars- autotech sorts that out.

Ignition- coilpacks- R8?, sparkplugs- you have new ones correctly torqued down, you've done a carbon clean but in 40k it will reappear and the injector tips might be clogged by some buildup. coilpack wiring/conduit intact?

You could also clean all your sensors from maf to map to iat, check both dp sensors. Test with another intake, stock intake, stock mode, disconnect battery, reset long term fuel trims, throttlebody alignment or condition of throttlebody. There are many little things you can check or clean or swop out which might not relate to your issue but may help in the long term my checking out every little detail. Its quite possible that just a hpfp upgrade is needed or a faulty hpfp sensor/cam positioning sensor/fpr.
Revo stage 2, Revo 76mm dp, Revo throttle pipe, APR 1&2 Carbonio intake, Neuspeed hiflow discharge pipe, H&R springs, 19" RS3 wheels, R8 coils, Iridiums, BSH dogbone insert, TTRS lca's, R interior.

4 100KS GP
Cadet

Post by 4 100KS GP »

Hi Ruan

Before I reply to your questions and suggestions. Yesterday I got home and started inspecting all the pipes in the engine bay. I noticed so oil build up on the pipe that leads from the PCV valve to the intake manifold (u shaped pipe). Removed the pipe cleaned it and inspected it for leaks, visibly it was hard to notice anything. I submerged the pipe in a bucket of water blocked off one end and pressurized it with air from the other end and to my surprise I found 2 small hairline cracks. Sealed it with some silicone as a temporary solution, picking up a new pipe today.

Could this leak have caused my issue? Maybe this explains why requested boost was never met.

Answers to your questions:

Removed the intake and dv logged the car and the problem still persisted. I then removed all boost pipes and found a bit of oil in them, cleaned them all out, cleaned the intake pipes, airfilter, maf, map and the throttle pipe. Cleaned and regreased the forge dv, Re installed everything making sure that all clamps are tight.

I checked dp bolts and well as the exhaust manifold bolts they all tight. I pulled on the actuator rod and there is still tension so I'm assuming that is fine. I checked all pipes to the n75 and they all intact. Never checked the rest of the exhaust for leaks will do that this weekend.

Fuel filter is new, fuel lines seem fine no visible leaks or kinks. Cam follower was replaced when this issue started and another hpfp was fitted but I used my low pressure sensor but the issue still persisted.

Coils are standard and the wiring and plugs are intact, no misfire faults, sparkplugs are new gapped to 0.75mm but not torqued just tightened what would the correct torque setting be?

I decided after reading (Macmans) post that I would have a look at the injector’s and replace all the seals etc. Before doing this I will fit the new PCV pipe, clear fuel trims and do a throttlebody alignment and log again. Sensors I will have to look at as no faults appear when we scan the car.

I will provide feedback after this weekend. Thanks for taking the time out to assist I really appreciate all the help.
ruan9n
Post Whore

Post by ruan9n »

Good news that you're moving through a whole list of things searching for the cause of your issue, giving them a go-over now may help out at a later stage. A bad pcv will cause a whole lot of issues yes...a lumpy idle is the first tell tale sign. Even a dipstick not properly clipped in can cause a whole lot of crap! I hate the pcv setup on these cars, just throw on a pcv block off at some stage and let the rear one vent as intended. Regarding your boost... you'll never really fully meet requested in GP to be honest! I think I saw an actual of 2300mbar at a stage? That would equate to anywhere between 1.4 to 1.5bar depending on atmospheric pressure- 850mbar usually. Anywhere upwards of 1.4bar is perfect for the turbo on your car.

4 100KS GP
Cadet

Post by 4 100KS GP »

Well I hooked up an Autogauge boost gauge just to monitor the boost and this is the result. 3rd gear wot, boost goes just over 1.5bar then just after 4500rpm it stabilises to 1bar till red line.
Is this normal ?
ruan9n
Post Whore

Post by ruan9n »

Yes its actually very good!

4 100KS GP
Cadet

Post by 4 100KS GP »

Thanks Ruan, so I'm assuming this result eliminates the turbo being cracked or any boost leaks.
4 100KS GP
Cadet

Post by 4 100KS GP »

Hello guys,

Well I cleaned did the carbon clean, surprised that there was alot of build up again after having the clean done 40k ago. Cleaned the injectors as well :eek: the carbon build up was bad on the injectors, cleaned the throttle body as well. Re-installed everything, new gaskets, injector’s seals and an RS4 FPR.

Now my problem is intermittent, I don't know what the problem could be but in 6th gear at wot around 180km (high speed for testing purposes :smile: ) I get a cut, not sure if its fuel or ignition cut. Boost sits at 1.6bar constantly bit when the cut occurs the boost does not exceed 1bar and the needle jumps around, what’s strange is this issue does not happen every time, still have to log the car to see what’s going on but this problem is driving me crazy.
Camo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 1 month
Car Model: White-G5 GTi

Post by Camo »

Like I said,..My car did same with SW!
However the symptoms relating to when mine did it now and then was related to Cracked HPFP Sensor.

TAKE Pic of the HPFP Sensor?
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
4 100KS GP
Cadet

Post by 4 100KS GP »

Camo wrote:Like I said,..My car did same with SW!
However the symptoms relating to when mine did it now and then was related to Cracked HPFP Sensor.

TAKE Pic of the HPFP Sensor?
I inspected the sensor and there are no visible cracks. I will take a pic and post it up today.

Thanks
Eddels
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Make: Seat

Post by Eddels »

I know whats your issue i had the same problem for 2 months swap all the parts that i can think of and it did not solve the fuel cutting issue. If you are running stock hpfp thats where the problem lies. Your boost is set to high drop boost to 1.4bar or lower and your problem will be solved. my car was boosting 1.7bar and i had fuel cuts and she is now on 1.3bar map she running so lekker and healthy no more timing pull and the fuel is spot on.

Send me a whatsapp 083 263 8758 Eddie willing to help you out
My Seat Leon Cupra Thread - 240wkw and 525nm
My Seat IC Candy Project Ed Tuned - 281wkw and 711NM

Seat Ibiza Cupra tdi Silver - Stock
Seat Ibiza Cupra tdi Grey - Race Car
Eddels
Cadet

Post by Eddels »

upgrade to autotech hpfp internals and your problem should be solved or just lower boost

4 100KS GP
Cadet

Post by 4 100KS GP »

Eddels wrote:I know whats your issue i had the same problem for 2 months swap all the parts that i can think of and it did not solve the fuel cutting issue. If you are running stock hpfp thats where the problem lies. Your boost is set to high drop boost to 1.4bar or lower and your problem will be solved. my car was boosting 1.7bar and i had fuel cuts and she is now on 1.3bar map she running so lekker and healthy no more timing pull and the fuel is spot on.

Thanks for the response Eddie. I replaced the G410 sensor and the car seems to be fine for now, no more fuel cuts or going into limp mode. I will be upgrading the pump as well just doing some research as I see there is a local supplier "Vortexperformance" offering a HPFP kit for R2800.00.
Eddels
Cadet

Post by Eddels »

cool bud. i also wanted to change it but i changed the whole pump and still had the same issue. When you upgrade the pump the cam follower will wear out quicker needs to be inspected every 5000km. let me know when upgrade to the vortex part also keen on it

Camo
Lieutenant

Post by Camo »

4 100KS GP wrote:
Eddels wrote:I know whats your issue i had the same problem for 2 months swap all the parts that i can think of and it did not solve the fuel cutting issue. If you are running stock hpfp thats where the problem lies. Your boost is set to high drop boost to 1.4bar or lower and your problem will be solved. my car was boosting 1.7bar and i had fuel cuts and she is now on 1.3bar map she running so lekker and healthy no more timing pull and the fuel is spot on.

Thanks for the response Eddie. I replaced the G410 sensor and the car seems to be fine for now, no more fuel cuts or going into limp mode. I will be upgrading the pump as well just doing some research as I see there is a local supplier "Vortexperformance" offering a HPFP kit for R2800.00.
Dankie MOS,..glad u sorted
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
4 100KS GP
Cadet

Post by 4 100KS GP »

Camo wrote:
4 100KS GP wrote:

Hi Camo, thanks for the assistance, just clarify that we talking about the same sensor here. The one I replaced is the G410 (thrust sensor / low fuel pressure sensor) which is located on the side of the pump and I think the one you referring to is located on the top of the pump.
Camo
Lieutenant

Post by Camo »

4 100KS GP wrote:
Camo wrote:
4 100KS GP wrote:

Hi Camo, thanks for the assistance, just clarify that we talking about the same sensor here. The one I replaced is the G410 (thrust sensor / low fuel pressure sensor) which is located on the side of the pump and I think the one you referring to is located on the top of the pump.
Yes the one I referred to was the one on the TOP which gave me similar issues!
Glad you BOOSTING again! :driving: :hurray:
Astrax
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by Astrax »

Hi guys please assist me ! I have done the following mods on a golf 5 gti Dsg, cold air intake,front mount intercooler,high pressure fuel pump,down pipe,water meth progressive , ko4 hybrid. Stage 2 + software and a Dsg flash.

On my current ko3 turbo I have changed internals to the ko4 bits, currently car makes 200 hp , if I upgrade to S3 injectors will there be a difference or not ?
Sinbad
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: R170 AMG Hairdryer
Membership No: 1152

Post by Sinbad »

200hp? Something seriously wrong there.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

katotter wrote:Geezus, I wanna be his girfriend.
Astrax
Enlisted

Post by Astrax »

Yip sorry not 200 hp - 200 kw !!!
Astrax
Enlisted

Post by Astrax »

Good morning,

I am experiencing the following problem,

Golf 5 Gti Dsg, GTX3071R turbo ,forged pistons and rods, High revving cam kit, gas flowed head, ARP fasteners, progressive water meth kit, HPFP,S3 injectors, twin intercooler, CPI STAGE 3 software and DSG flash.

currently boost is set at 1.9bar, every time the car is coming into boost the EPC light comes on, this normally happens as from gear shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. there is no loss of power or turbo lag on this specific issue but the light will remain on until car has been switched off, on start up the light will reset and only appears under boost again?

we checked the fan and it is working and the car stays on normal temperature ?
previously I had an issue with boost pipe from the turbo back to intercooler which came out all the time, this has been resolved now but the EPC light keeps on coming on under boost still.

Water meth levels are constantly monitored and other fluid levels as well.

my fuel pressure pump in front are upgraded to a high pressure unit, can this be due to my in tank fuel pump ?
Cam follower was replaced 500 kilometres ago.