Battery and heat gauge light

Rowen8v
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Battery and heat gauge light

Post by Rowen8v »

Hi guys, I have a mk1 1.8 with 2.0 pistons, some head work and polo ecu. Car drives fine and all does overfuel a bit and gets little hot even tho I have no thermostat but only when driving stop and go. My main concern is whenever I give a little throttle my heat light and battery light starts to flicker even though it's not runnig hot or anything what could be the cause?
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Re: Battery and heat gauge light

Post by Howie-WP »

Rowen8v wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:36 am Hi guys, I have a mk1 1.8 with 2.0 pistons, some head work and polo ecu. Car drives fine and all does overfuel a bit and gets little hot even tho I have no thermostat but only when driving stop and go. My main concern is whenever I give a little throttle my heat light and battery light starts to flicker even though it's not runnig hot or anything what could be the cause?
another one..... :bang: :crazy: Please fit a thermostat, they are there for a reason.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

As Howie

Please refit the Thermostat because it is part of the engine.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Rowen8v
Enlisted

Post by Rowen8v »

Howie-WP wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:46 pm
Rowen8v wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:36 am Hi guys, I have a mk1 1.8 with 2.0 pistons, some head work and polo ecu. Car drives fine and all does overfuel a bit and gets little hot even tho I have no thermostat but only when driving stop and go. My main concern is whenever I give a little throttle my heat light and battery light starts to flicker even though it's not runnig hot or anything what could be the cause?
another one..... :bang: :crazy: Please fit a thermostat, they are there for a reason.
Only removed the thermostat temporarily because the car gets hot really fast, as soon as the temp starts rising I can't stand and idle at traffic lights because the temp gauge goes just past normal operating temp and stay there until I start driving again, could removing the thermostat be the reason for those lights flickering?
n.gov3
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by n.gov3 »

Rowen8v wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:18 pm
Howie-WP wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:46 pm
Seems like the thermostat is faulty.... Replace it with a new one and then check if the radiator fan works as it should.

Only removed the thermostat temporarily because the car gets hot really fast, as soon as the temp starts rising I can't stand and idle at traffic lights because the temp gauge goes just past normal operating temp and stay there until I start driving again, could removing the thermostat be the reason for those lights flickering?
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Are you running coolant or just water?

What size radiator are you using? Stock?
What heat range is the radiator fan switch?
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
dcmk4
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK7 GTi

Post by dcmk4 »

Did you replace the water pump or make sure it is even moving water? I won't be surprised if it is corroded away or broken.
'14 Golf Mk7 GTI
THANAS STG/// ECU&DSG
Littco L380x
All the ponies
Rowen8v
Enlisted

Post by Rowen8v »

Solved the problem, went through the whole cooling system and found that the bottom section of the radiator was clogged so bad that flushing couldn't get rid of, decided to get a new one and it's running fine now. Thanks for the help 👍🙏
JCTPUBLISHERS
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 8 months

Post by JCTPUBLISHERS »

Glad you sorted out.