2011 Cross Polo 1.6 sound and vibration

zak2711
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 5 months

2011 Cross Polo 1.6 sound and vibration

Post by zak2711 »

Hi everyone

I'm new to the club. Will appreciate any help I can get.

I bought a Polo Cross 1.6i a few months ago. Full service history at VW, 128000km on the clock. About a month after I bought the car there was a deep aftermarket filter sound in low revs. 1st. 2nd, 3rd gear. Really liked the sound, sounded like a K&N filter and the car was due for its yearly service soon anyways. I didn't realize it was that bad till a friend of mine who has a polo 6R 1.6i told me the car vibrates on the passenger side with that sound. I took it to an ex VW service manager for the service told him about the problem etc. He serviced the car, new cv, filters, etc and told me the manifold is cracked, that could be the sound. He told me welding it wont last very long I should get a new manifold. So I took it to Cowley and had a branch fitted for 3k. The sound is still there, and at low revs the car seems to be losing power now and slightly jerky. Drove in Bokaap the other day and it wasn't any fun up those hills. Its not always there, when the cars cold its quiet. Anybody have a similar problem? The branch hasn't made much of a difference to the sound of the car anyways.

Thanks in Advance
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Re: 2011 Cross Polo 1.6 sound and vibration

Post by Howie-WP »

Any info when the car was scanned? Also was the mani actually cracked (when they removed it)? Something could be rubbing on the passenger side. Get someone to drive it and sit and see if you can trace it? In open area with no cars, open passenger door and lean out for a better listen....
zak2711
Enlisted

Post by zak2711 »

Hi i will try that thank you. yes the manifold was cracked
spdgti
Cadet
Registered for: 21 years 7 months

Post by spdgti »

Vibration could be the Lower Control Arm bushes, apparently know to be a weakness on the 9N, especially the diesels.

Loss of power and aftermarket filter, throaty sound could be a broken/loose EGR pipe?
'08 06 Magma Orange Cross Polo

ex: Reflex Silver GTi-R
zak2711
Enlisted

Post by zak2711 »

Hi sorry for late reply. i forgot
In the end it was an engine bracket that broke.
dont know how an ex barons vw mechanic said it was a cracked manifold.
funny how different a broken engine bracket on my polo felt compated to my old mk3 gti when it had the same problem. it was undriveable. whole engine shook