2e with std dictator

LouisHulk
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK2 GTI

2e with std dictator

Post by LouisHulk »

Hi guys so i think this is a question that was asked before but i cant get the an answer and i do know it is best to get it tuned on a dyno and its going to be done.
So for my question i have a golf 2 with a 2l 2e motor no cams and it is fitted with an dictator std with tps and i did the installation and the basic tuning so far and well the car is driving okish but there are things that i am not sure off and i hope someone can help.

What is the right way to do the timing from the beginning and where do the timing start and where must it end at 7000 rpm.
on the throttle idling you have target rpm wich is 900rpm and then min pos. wich is about 3% less than the actual idle per. and then max is about 4% more than the actual % then home is a little bit more than actual and so is startup but what must the idle response be ?
Then the throttle pump control is a big headache for me increase (35.5) and decay (38.7) and dead band (0.4) de-activate over ( 43.9 ) does this seem right
then startup prime is set on 3.100 is this fine

i just want to get the car running okish for the time been until i can take the car to the tuner i don't drive the everyday but i need to get it driveable if something happens and i need it so all the help will be very much appreciated
VW MK2 GTI golf
ABF BLOCK
HEAD REDONE MAX
CARAVELLE PISTONS
CAM
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Re: 2e with std dictator

Post by Quik-Trix »

Hey man, that seems a tad specific to each car, when playing with idle.
is the car wired for MAP or TPS?

Generally if your timing/fueling is setup correctly with your cold start, car will idle fine on dicktator, that is where you should concentrate on every morning.

In terms of timing, this is something that will need to be tuned on the dyno, but your 100% TPS, Should start around 10 and End around 22 to be safe, on the dyno it would end up somewhere closer to 27.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

@Quick-Trix,
the OP stated TPS. Your timing indications are a good starting point and base line.

@LouisHulk,
Check that you have TPS correctly calibrated for 0-100% for starters.
Did you check and set the base timing with a timing light? Is 10 degrees on idle at say 1000 rpm on map same on timing light and timing mark on crank pulley on the spot when using an advance timing light. Get car to idle at 1000 rpm and timing to match and then check on crosshair that you are right on the crosshair. Work from there to the rest of the map as base timing is then correct.

Set the dissy at zero degrees and not the normal 6 degrees advance as per oem setting.
LouisHulk
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 5 months
Car Model: MK2 GTI

Post by LouisHulk »

Hi Papajo so the base timing must be done at dizzy 0deg and when you start you set the Dictator to 6 and then check if the timing light agrees with it if not you set the cross-hair until the timing light agrees with the Dictator 6deg then from there the timing goes up until 34deg at 7000rpm but what puzzle me is the up and down is your rpm range that goes from 6 to 34 deg but what needs to happen with the timing when you hit left to right does the timing go a bit up or down.
Let me put it this way if the timing on 3000rpm is 20deg on 0 tps and you press it to 100 tps does that 20deg become 26deg or does it go down like 15deg.

And to answer your question yes the tps is set correctly and the car is driving it idles nice with the mp9 throttle it just stay on rev a bit now and then but other wise ok,then the car doesn't have the power it had but that i know is because of the timing that is not set correctly but luckily there is no ping.

The car is going for dyno setup hopefully soon i am just very curious to see how close can i get it and it is very nice to see and learn about the little more advance stuff like the timing how it works and how it changes through out the range
VW MK2 GTI golf
ABF BLOCK
HEAD REDONE MAX
CARAVELLE PISTONS
CAM