New to vw's help me with advice as to building a 1900 motor!

Ruwi03
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk1 citirox. Polo 8 gti

New to vw's help me with advice as to building a 1900 motor!

Post by Ruwi03 »

Hi guys i am looking at building a mk1 1900 8v please help new to this kind of stuff but fast learning have assembled engines before but new to vw's need all the help i can get head.block.crank.bearings gaskets have a ffz transmission looking to build a fast mk1 not drags or race car but just fun with friends and a beautiful car to show off. Have 2 other daily's thanks in advance
Dayknight-VW
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: New to vw's help me with advice as to building a 1900 motor!

Post by Dayknight-VW »

Howsit where you from ? I may be able to help u if u in Durban
Ruwi03
Enlisted

Post by Ruwi03 »

Hi I'm from kathu northern cape but would like if someone could help and maybe help source correct parts
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

Nothing too special/technical, just an 1800 crank with 82.5 or 83.5 pistons.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Quik-Trix wrote:Nothing too special/technical, just an 1800 crank with 83.5 pistons.
Corrected.

Howzit Ruwi03

1800 crank, preferably the forged crank from the Mk2 GTi (EV engine code) 86.4mm stroke

Audi 2.2/ volksiebus 2.3 pistons 1.0mm oversize at 83.5mm diameter.

Bore the 1800 block to match the pistons

Head gasket from the 2E MK3 GTi 2.0.

I would recommend to run the car with MP9 Bosch injection as it will behave very well and have decent driveability. My car ran successfully with a carb as I wasn't chasing power figures.

Throw a 276° can into the motor and a PoloCup tune on the ECU and it will be an animal when provoked.

You will need to soup up the clutch somehow. Perhaps have the flywheel machined to increase the clamping pressure on the clutch plate or get a copper clutch plate. The stock 9 bolt clutch doesn't last longer than 3 months.

Post pictures

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Ruwi03
Enlisted

Post by Ruwi03 »

Hi missioner what about running dictator management and what about head would you run a 2l 8v or 1.8 8v head and maybe a port job? At 8v performance?
Ruwi03
Enlisted

Post by Ruwi03 »

Maybe a high rev valve kit what rpm would you run it. And what about brand for piston rings would hasting work?i'm a hasting fan. And brand for mains etc.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Ruwi03 wrote:Hi missioner what about running dictator management and what about head would you run a 2l 8v or 1.8 8v head and maybe a port job? At 8v performance?
Both heads will work very well.

I did my own port job as an experiment and I think it did make a difference. I used the cam from a 1.8 (a "G" cam), but it wasn't a performance improvement.

My car did daily duties and it needed to be good at its job. This was achieved better than expected by some margin, the 1300 did roughly 550km from a tank of fuel, the 1900 got nearly 200km further. I was very pleased with this as I traveled around 100km a day to work and fuel gets expensive.

Give the guys at 8V a call. Good guys and they know their work. They will give you good advice on the head for sure.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Ruwi03 wrote:Maybe a high rev valve kit what rpm would you run it. And what about brand for piston rings would hasting work?i'm a hasting fan. And brand for mains etc.
This motor will not benefit from a high rev kit, the size of the pistons are the limiting factor here.

If you want to go higher than 6500rpm you will end up spending a fortune to achieve another 1000rpm.

Diktator will work fine for management, get it tuned right. Many "tuners" do a WOT tune and ignore the rest of the map, the car becomes a dog to drive in traffic and gets terrible fuel consumption, 200 - 350km from a tank. A good tuner will not skip the drivability stuff, but this is also the part that takes the longest to do. Expect to pay for the time.

Hastings is what I used in my motor. Worked 100%. The rest of the parts were all from Alert. Nothing special. Again I wasn't building a race car. If you expect to give the car some abuse, I would recommend better parts for the engine.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk