Caddy 1.6i - Something strange

michaelfalconer
Enlisted
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Caddy 1.6i - Something strange

Post by michaelfalconer »

Hi guys,
Just something I need to know on the BSF motors, as I can’t seem to find anything on any search related to it.

So on my other caddy I was towing a rather heavy trailer (Meyerton to Alberton and back again), after that, it seems like the timing belt stretched a bit, got a nice ‘tappet’ sound coming from the motor, but only when it was warm and only between 2-3000rpm.

Timing belt changed, as the old one looked like a dog show, all the marks were put in (previous one was 1 tooth out on the cam before I took it off). All went well until the motor warmed up again, and I’ve still got the old ‘tappet’ sound in the same rev range, but only when there’s load on the motor. You can sit stationary and rev all you want, no sound, only when there’s load?

Any thoughts on this? Plugged the pc in, and no errors are picked up. The caddy did smell rich before the belt change, and still does, but I still manage 10km/l on the highway.
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Re: Caddy 1.6i - Something strange

Post by marzbars »

Did you replace the tensioners as well?
michaelfalconer
Enlisted

Yeah, replaced both tensioners while I was there.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Check oil pressure.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
michaelfalconer
Enlisted

So after much thought, I decided to advance the cam by 1 tooth, and all that did was make the noise hot and cold. And then I retarded it by 1 tooth, and engine gods decided that was the best way forward. No more noise.
I know the correct way is to remove the head and get it sorted out properly, but as a work vehicle, there isn’t much time for that.

As for oil pressure, that all seems fine. No light or buzzer going off no matter what the rev range.
michaelfalconer
Enlisted

Ok, well here’s a bit of an update.
Took the head off when it refused point blank to crank over. And surprise surprise, I found out what the tick tick noise was. A tiny piece of the head gasket (some cheap crap) broke off and was playing ping pong in cylinder 1. Needless to say it ate away at the piston.

Sent the head in to be skimmed. Honed the block a small bit, new big ends and new set of piston heads and rings.
And valve stem seals (didn’t do that the first time, I should’ve just done it, but thought I was clever).

So that’s all be put back together now.
I did take the cam off my other caddy, as I’m still looking at another complete motor for there (if anyone can let me know if there’s a way to change the cam sensor on the APK to where it is on the BSF, or if I can just extend the existing wires).
One thing I did notice is, it struggles to start when hot. Cold start, no problem. It did this when it was in my other caddy, and I just advanced it 1 tooth.
I did see a video on YouTube, where a guy was showing that some people take the cam sensor out and put a bolt into the hole to loosen the cam sprocket bolt, and since that isn’t cast, it does move. Now I’m pretty sure whom ever worked on these motors before did that. Besides buying a new cam is there anyone that would know what the correct placement of that cam sensor ‘love’ should be? As I can’t seem to find anything online.
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

Hey bud, perhaps post this on the Caddy2k forum.
lots of folks there with these engines, so would be able to assist
michaelfalconer
Enlisted

Thanks. Signed up. But have to do a few posts to be able to view any of the technical topics.
michaelfalconer
Enlisted

Well, it’s been a while, and after getting another motor for my other caddy, the cam shaft looked like it was all good.
But figured the gremlins out on the hot start, it was the temp sensor, the ones from alert or any spares shop (that purchases from alert - most to my understanding do) and on 3 out of 5 from Goldwagen didn’t give the correct resistance reading (can’t remember exactly what is was on the multimeter- there is a YouTube video on it). The ones from the agent works 100%, when they have stock is another question.
So in case anyone comes across this problem, that was my solution eventually, timing marks are back on where they need to be.
Also changed the cam sensor - that didn’t do anything, so I put the old one back.
Kajee786
Enlisted
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by Kajee786 »

Hi, I just purchased a 2016 1.6i caddy , it seems to have a misfire from the exhaust, I’ve taken it to about 8 different mechanics who’ve driven the car , plugged the computer box , checked for vacuum leaks or error codes , none of them can seem to find any issue as it doesn’t lose power or have poor fuel consumption. Not sure what to do.