1.8 8v to 1.8 16v throttles

Shaylin Pillay
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 11 months

1.8 8v to 1.8 16v throttles

Post by Shaylin Pillay »

Hi Guys

So firstly I have a Carburetored Golf 2 1.8 8v 5spd (HV-engine code). Car is absolutely stock standard. Car has be stock for too long now 🤭. Basically I've managed to get myself a daily car and now want to turn my Golf into a weekend/project car.

A friend of mine has a Golf 2 1.8 16v Head (KR) for r2500. I just need to know if this would fit onto my block also if it does do I need to make any other modifications. Basically this friend advised me to go on the following route:

Carb to Injection
1.8 16v Head (havent purchased yet)
1.8 8v Block (current block)
288 cams (abf)
2.3 caravelle pistons (pocketed)
43mm 20v throttles (toyota)
Dicktator Managment

Any advice as well as rough estimated kw output. Cause another friend of mine literally dropped in a 2.0 8v Branch Exhaust, 288 cam, VR6 TB and Dicktator and bumped his stock engine from 85kw to 110kw. Which is actually impressive.

Basically I'm seeking advice to move the Stock Golf 2 1.8 8v to atleast +125kw.
P.S I ain't looking along the lines of side drafts (sorry tho I've seen too many friends struggle and have issues all just to go back to injection again).
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Re: 1.8 8v to 1.8 16v throttles

Post by Quik-Trix »

Those power figures look like you at the coast, even still 25kw Gain from just a cam/exhaust on a 2.0 8v is a lot, but that's not what you questioning here.

To be honest, that list of changes vs the power you after, you rather just go ABF , Pricing now is around 22K from what I saw, a much more decent/seamless base instead of converting your current setup.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

I would not advise the 83.5mm pistons in this case. It would drop your compression down to that of a 70's fuel crisis car.

If you are looking to convert to 16V then there is much more you will have to change than what you mentioned. The differences between the 2 motors is not just the head. There are a fairly large number of changes you will need to make to the bottom half of the motor just to get the KR head to work without killing itself.

My suggestion would be to find a stock KR that is all KR, not some hack job hybrid.

@PapaJo has a freshly built KR sitting under covers in his garage that he might be convinced to part with if you ask nicely. It's 99% standard and should make just over 100kWATW at sea level properly tuned with the right supporting parts.

For some better perspective on what you proposed to do in your opening post I suggest giving Sarel at 8VPerformance a call. He has built every conceivable engine combination you can make out of the EA827 engine family, and not just once, hundreds of them. His number is on their FB page.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

missioner wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:54 pm I would not advise the 83.5mm pistons in this case. It would drop your compression down to that of a 70's fuel crisis car.

If you are looking to convert to 16V then there is much more you will have to change than what you mentioned. The differences between the 2 motors is not just the head. There are a fairly large number of changes you will need to make to the bottom half of the motor just to get the KR head to work without killing itself.

My suggestion would be to find a stock KR that is all KR, not some hack job hybrid.

@PapaJo has a freshly built KR sitting under covers in his garage that he might be convinced to part with if you ask nicely. It's 99% standard and should make just over 100kWATW at sea level properly tuned with the right supporting parts.

For some better perspective on what you proposed to do in your opening post I suggest giving Sarel at 8VPerformance a call. He has built every conceivable engine combination you can make out of the EA827 engine family, and not just once, hundreds of them. His number is on their FB page.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Old thread revival

Yes, I still have the KR throttled motor under wraps in the garage and will put it to use in shell one day.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Not if you sell it to me first.

Waiting for my Lotto money. Lol

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

missioner wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:56 am Not if you sell it to me first.

Waiting for my Lotto money. Lol

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk
I read you loud and clear, missioner.