Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 10 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta
Membership No: missing

scoring on brake discs

Post by FM1 »

Hi guys

so my brake pads were finished and neglected to change them on time. i noticed my discs have a bit of scoring on them, its not deep at all. but after fitting new pads my car has anoying squeeks/squeels everytime i brake. will this eventually wear down in time as its being like this for more than a month, or will the discs need to be skeemed or replaced
FROM ROOTS TO TREETOP

Current: Ford Fiesta
Ex: VW Golf 4 1.6
TimeShifter
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2012 Mk6 GTi

Re: scoring on brake discs

Post by TimeShifter »

The squealing can actually be the brake composition that is causing that. I had the same issue with Ferrodo, now I stick with ATE... With that said, you should have at least skimmed your discs at the same time you changed your pads. Now the "highs" on the discs are creating ridges in the pads which will cause uneven wear and also reduce braking efficiency.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2012 VW Golf Mk6 GTi
[color=#0000FF]Chuck Norris[/color] wrote: Wadup TimeShifter! Will you please teach me how to do that round house kick again?
FM1
Cadet

Post by FM1 »

TimeShifter wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:54 pm The squealing can actually be the brake composition that is causing that. I had the same issue with Ferrodo, now I stick with ATE... With that said, you should have at least skimmed your discs at the same time you changed your pads. Now the "highs" on the discs are creating ridges in the pads which will cause uneven wear and also reduce braking efficiency.

im using sure brake pads at the moment. i wanted to buy the Febi but they werent in stock. so might just just discs and pads again in the new year
FROM ROOTS TO TREETOP

NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by NHB_R »

Sometimes putting copper slip between the pad and the caliper will help with squeeky noises in case that is actually where the noise is coming from.
But i also had squeeky noises from Sure brake, i think they from Goldwagon. It will go away after some time, then return, then go away, then return, then go away finally (My experience - Squeek free for about 6 months now)
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Sure Brake is rubbish (imho) but did you bed in the brake pads correctly? Sometimes the noise is from dust between pads and disk (in your case due to the score marks, it could be more pronounced until they wear away) I would do some heavy braking to try a better mating surface.
Gts88
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 3 months
Car Model: Citi

Post by Gts88 »

TimeShifter wrote:The squealing can actually be the brake composition that is causing that. I had the same issue with Ferrodo, now I stick with ATE... With that said, you should have at least skimmed your discs at the same time you changed your pads. Now the "highs" on the discs are creating ridges in the pads which will cause uneven wear and also reduce braking efficiency.

I just did my Citi .... ATE and brand new Discs.... first couple of stops in the morn they squeal like baby pigs.... the it gets better..... wanto look for Ferodo ceramic again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TimeShifter
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: 2012 Mk6 GTi

Post by TimeShifter »

Gts88 wrote: I just did my Citi .... ATE and brand new Discs.... first couple of stops in the morn they squeal like baby pigs.... the it gets better..... wanto look for Ferodo ceramic again....

That's odd, I've changed pads a couple of times and never experienced any issues with the ATE's. The Ferodo's were terrible

2012 VW Golf Mk6 GTi
[color=#0000FF]Chuck Norris[/color] wrote: Wadup TimeShifter! Will you please teach me how to do that round house kick again?
Gts88
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 3 months
Car Model: Citi

Post by Gts88 »

Normal Ferodos yes.... Ceramics I loved... handle punishment well, not to bad on dust, but they work the disks like mad....
true that on ATE.... first time I get them serenading me like this

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

The key here is to bed new pads (and disks if fitting) correcty; so that you have a proper transfer of friction material to the disk. Also, if squeaking lots, use compressed air to clean dust from between pads / disk surface.
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 8 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

If the discs had any excessive contact , they would need a fresh surface to bed in .

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk

Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
FM1
Cadet

Post by FM1 »

**** this a late update. but yeah the brakes still squeel like hell. tried most things mentioned here besides skimming the brake discs. The pads were cleaned and even used some copper on the pads and shims to cancel out any friction if there was any. but what im aiming for is to replace the discs and pads all together as the payments are coming to end soon and im planning on keeping the car
FROM ROOTS TO TREETOP

Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 2 months
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

When I changed my rear brake pads, I used the cheap allied nippon brakes, what a mistake, squeals like hell especially when hot.

And I did bed them in too, plus they are rubbish compared to the old set, don't hold as well, creaks and slips loudly if parked on a slight hill.

I think yes, the best choice is to change them over, looks like I will end up fitting ATEs. Please let us know if your issue is resolved when you change them over and what brands you ended up using.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
FM1
Cadet

Post by FM1 »

Callum229 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:13 am When I changed my rear brake pads, I used the cheap allied nippon brakes, what a mistake, squeals like hell especially when hot.

And I did bed them in too, plus they are rubbish compared to the old set, don't hold as well, creaks and slips loudly if parked on a slight hill.

I think yes, the best choice is to change them over, looks like I will end up fitting ATEs. Please let us know if your issue is resolved when you change them over and what brands you ended up using.
im not sure what brand im going for next. As i thought Sure brake would be a decent brand for normal road daily use. But over at other forums I see others also have issues with this brand. I dont have discs at the back I have drums.
FROM ROOTS TO TREETOP

Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

I replaced the Caddy's front discs and pads a week ago with Pagid Hella discs and pads from GW.
To say they are perfect is an understatement. I bedded them in properly and now the brakes are better than they have ever been.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

Jetta2 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:48 pm I replaced the Caddy's front discs and pads a week ago with Pagid Hella discs and pads from GW.
To say they are perfect is an understatement. I bedded them in properly and now the brakes are better than they have ever been.
+1

Panic fitted same to my TReg when I sent it to him for some work, well recommended (both Pagid Hella and Panic :lol: )
Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Thanks guys, I can also get Safeline as well as ATE directly from the distributors, if they don't have stock of ATE, is Safeline a good brand? If not then I will go to Goldwagen to get Pagid Hella.

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

FM1
Cadet

Post by FM1 »

Hows the prices of hella compared to ferodo
FROM ROOTS TO TREETOP

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

Callum229 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:09 am Thanks guys, I can also get Safeline as well as ATE directly from the distributors, if they don't have stock of ATE, is Safeline a good brand? If not then I will go to Goldwagen to get Pagid Hella.
I'd steer clear of Safeline.....

Get the Pagid Hella from GW, afaik they are well priced as well.
Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Thanks Howie, will be getting Pagid Hella on Monday from Goldwagen.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk