96 Caddy Engine Work

Shagwaggon
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

96 Caddy Engine Work

Post by Shagwaggon »

Howz going fellow vdubians

So long story short, I replaced all the gear linkage bushings on my 96 VW Caddy 1.6. In order to remove and replace the main red bush on the shifter connecting rod I had to loosen the exhaust manifold slightly to get a spanner behind the bracket (it's a 4-2-1 "banana branch" ).

Everything's been replaced and tightened back up but now I notice some smoke coming from the manifold. Initially thought it may be steam as I cleaned the block alittle while I was under there.

So I'm thinking replace the exhaust manifold gaskets and add some sealant , but i know how much of a mission getting that exhaust manifold loose is while the intake is attached. I also noticed that one of the bolts on the manifold turns in all the way and just continues turning (doesnt tighten up) -this is where I believe the leak is coming from.

So just looking for any opinions on whether I should just remove the head and do the head gasket as well as the exhaust, intake and tappet cover gaskets while I'm busy. (185000 Km) or would this be overkill.

Should I look at doing the rings, guide seals and everything else while I've got the head off ? Or consider a 2l upgrade ? All depends on price and mission.

Ballpark estimate of rebuilding the 1.6 vs installing 2l and selling 1.6?

Or convert the 1.6 carb to fuel injection?

Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated