Oil pump change

Kyle28rsa
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 4 months
Car Make: volkwswagen
Car Model: MK1 1983 GLS

Oil pump change

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Hey guys. I have a mk1 1.6 carb motor. Oil light was flashing so i checked and came accross that my head is receiving minimal oil if not any. Checked oil ports on head and by the switch everything seams clear. Only option i can think is the oil pump gave in. I have another oem oil pump from a 2l8v

So the question is will this oil pump be a direct fit and is there a difference in oil pressure that the 2l pump kicks out?
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Oil pump change

Post by missioner »

No difference in pressures. That is determined by oil clearances of the engine.

The pump is a straight fit as long as you have the newer rectangular style sump.

If your oil light was buzzing it usually means you are busy hurting the bearings on the crank. My suggestion is to pull the motor and do it up. Just putting a pump in may not solve the oil pressure problem.

Sent from my ***-L22 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

I fitted the pump earlier and started it up. It popped the filters o ring and oil shot to the ceiling. Pulled the filter and positioned the rubber back thinking i maybe did not make it to tight. Happened again. Took it out the pump and fitted the old one back. Rubber didnt pop this time but still no circulation to the head
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Think i should add that i replaced the head gasket. Ever since i put the head back on its been giving this issue. Getting tappet sounds after a few seconds of starting. Its a shim head so i checked the valve clearence already just incase. Everything seems in order. I fed a wire through all the oil ports on the head including the side
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

The 2L pump is not a direct fit into a 1.6. The shaft is longer so you cannot use it
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
n.gov3
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by n.gov3 »

Kyle28rsa wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:27 pm Think i should add that i replaced the head gasket. Ever since i put the head back on its been giving this issue. Getting tappet sounds after a few seconds of starting. Its a shim head so i checked the valve clearence already just incase. Everything seems in order. I fed a wire through all the oil ports on the head including the side
Did you use the correct head gasket?
Gasket fitted correctly?

Issue coming up after head gasket replacement, is probably a clue
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

n.gov3 wrote:
Kyle28rsa wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:27 pm Think i should add that i replaced the head gasket. Ever since i put the head back on its been giving this issue. Getting tappet sounds after a few seconds of starting. Its a shim head so i checked the valve clearence already just incase. Everything seems in order. I fed a wire through all the oil ports on the head including the side
Did you use the correct head gasket?
Gasket fitted correctly?

Issue coming up after head gasket replacement, is probably a clue
I took my old gasket with when i purchased the new one. All the holes matched and didnt look any thicker
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

chucker02 wrote:The 2L pump is not a direct fit into a 1.6. The shaft is longer so you cannot use it
According to another older post i saw on the group the shafts are a the same length. I measured it before putting it in just to make sure. Only difference is that the gear inside is bigger on the 2l pump. According to the post
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

You may have installed the gasket upside down. This is very likely.

If this is actually the case it's also why your oil filter is popping off as the oil pressure is sky high in the block and no oil is passing to the head, the oil passage from the feed is closed off most of the way.

The gasket is fully reversible, the only difference is the direction of the oil feed line hole in the gasket. The block side is centred between cyl 2 and 3, whereas the head side is 10mm off to the side. The opening in the gasket is what joins these two passages.

Seems it's time to go back in order to make progress.

Also hopefully there isn't any damage to the cam and the head from oil starvation. Check for score marks on the cam caps and on the cam lobes.

Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

missioner wrote:You may have installed the gasket upside down. This is very likely.

If this is actually the case it's also why your oil filter is popping off as the oil pressure is sky high in the block and no oil is passing to the head, the oil passage from the feed is closed off most of the way.

The gasket is fully reversible, the only difference is the direction of the oil feed line hole in the gasket. The block side is centred between cyl 2 and 3, whereas the head side is 10mm off to the side. The opening in the gasket is what joins these two passages.

Seems it's time to go back in order to make progress.

Also hopefully there isn't any damage to the cam and the head from oil starvation. Check for score marks on the cam caps and on the cam lobes.

I was very careful when putting on the gasket. I made 100% sure that i was not misaligning any of the holes. But if this is the only reason as to why the filter o ring is popping off then i guess i have no choice but to remove the head again.

Is there any way i can check if this is the case before removing the head. Maybe by any of the oil ports?

Made sure i lubed up the cam before starting and haven't seen any scorce marks
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Get a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge and fit it to the side of the head where the oil pressure switch goes. Newer models have a small Allen cap plug instead. It's just above the water port.

Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

missioner wrote:Get a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge and fit it to the side of the head where the oil pressure switch goes. Newer models have a small Allen cap plug instead. It's just above the water port.

Thanks will purchase one and test the pressure
buggyfan
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: mk1
Car Model: GTX
Membership No: missing

Post by buggyfan »

We had the same issue with lack of oil to the head. Found a pieve of gunk blocking the oil passge from the block up to the head. Removed the head bolt inbetween number 3 and 4 cylinder and turned the oilpump with a drill with a modified bolt to clear the blockage.
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

buggyfan wrote:We had the same issue with lack of oil to the head. Found a pieve of gunk blocking the oil passge from the block up to the head. Removed the head bolt inbetween number 3 and 4 cylinder and turned the oilpump with a drill with a modified bolt to clear the blockage.
Have you removed the head bolt just to get access to the oil pump to spin?
buggyfan
Cadet

Post by buggyfan »

No we removed the distributor and spinned the oilpump by cutting a slot into a bolt and turning it with the drill.
Your oil supply channel goes out of your block alongside your one headbolt and angles into the head channels
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

buggyfan wrote:No we removed the distributor and spinned the oilpump by cutting a slot into a bolt and turning it with the drill.
Your oil supply channel goes out of your block alongside your one headbolt and angles into the head channels
Ok that makes sense. Just to be 100% certain. Which head bolt was move to be exactImage
buggyfan
Cadet

Post by buggyfan »

The bolt on the waterport side /sparkplug side
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Thanks buggy. Will try that method tomorrow.
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Tried the method buggy. Removed the head bolt. Made a bit to spin the oil pump with a head bolt. Removed the dizzy and spinned the oil pump. I feel the drill struggle abit when spinning is and i can hear a sound in the head that sounds like compression which is closer to cylinder 1 side. Still no luck with getting the oil to shoot through
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Would it help if i blow with a compressor into the oil switch
buggyfan
Cadet

Post by buggyfan »

Did you spin the drill clockwise and anti clockwise?
Because if you turn the pump the wrong way you will get a gurgling sound coming out of the engine.
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

buggyfan wrote:Did you spin the drill clockwise and anti clockwise?
Because if you turn the pump the wrong way you will get a gurgling sound coming out of the engine.
Spinned it clockwise. Should i do both directions
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Silly question..... did you prime the oil pump first by either pouring oil into it and turning it or by putting it in a container with oil and turning it before fitting it?
It has happened when unprimed oil pumps simply do not pump any oil because they were not primed before fitting.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Jetta2 wrote:Silly question..... did you prime the oil pump first by either pouring oil into it and turning it or by putting it in a container with oil and turning it before fitting it?
It has happened when unprimed oil pumps simply do not pump any oil because they were not primed before fitting.
Yes i have. Did it with all the oil pumps i tested to see if the pump was the issue