Kyle28rsa
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: volkwswagen
Car Model: MK1 1983 GLS

Spark issues

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Good day

I have a golf 1 gti with the original dx motor. Im having issues with the spark. When i swing the motor, spark comes for about a second then cuts off completely until i swing the motor again and then the process continues. Any idea what the issue could be. I changed the following parts already: ignition coil, module, plugs leads and rotor cap
mellos
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Spark issues

Post by mellos »

Kyle28rsa wrote:Good day

I have a golf 1 gti with the original dx motor. Im having issues with the spark. When i swing the motor, spark comes for about a second then cuts off completely until i swing the motor again and then the process continues. Any idea what the issue could be. I changed the following parts already: ignition coil, module, plugs leads and rotor cap
Good day did you change the rotor as well??

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

I am yet to change the rotor. But if the rotor is the issue, shouldn't it atleast make contact once every revolution instead of just dying out completely
mellos
Cadet

Post by mellos »

Kyle28rsa wrote:I am yet to change the rotor. But if the rotor is the issue, shouldn't it atleast make contact once every revolution instead of just dying out completely
Yes logically it should but you never know with electronics, sometimes it's a simple problem, how are you checking the spark??

Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

I checked with each of the leads going to the plugs by putting it against the motor. I tested the main lead coming from the coil as well giving the same issue
mellos
Cadet

Post by mellos »

Kyle28rsa wrote:I checked with each of the leads going to the plugs by putting it against the motor. I tested the main lead coming from the coil as well giving the same issue
Looks more complicated than it seems, I guess you've done all you can I guess you will have to consult with an auto electrician they deal with things like this every day....

mellos
Cadet

Post by mellos »

mellos wrote:
Kyle28rsa wrote:I checked with each of the leads going to the plugs by putting it against the motor. I tested the main lead coming from the coil as well giving the same issue
Looks more complicated than it seems, I guess you've done all you can I guess you will have to consult with an auto electrician they deal with things like this every day....

What happened in the very beginning when this problem started, did the car cut out while driving or did it just not start at all one day, sometimes it's good to try and see when it all began.....

Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

I was busy sorting out all the wiring in my car. Taking out whats not needed, making things tidy, etc. Then it just suddenly happened the next day. I did move the fuse box in its original place. Maybe i unplugged something. Any idea if any part of the ignition system goes to the fuse box or to any relays?
mellos
Cadet

Post by mellos »

Kyle28rsa wrote:I was busy sorting out all the wiring in my car. Taking out whats not needed, making things tidy, etc. Then it just suddenly happened the next day. I did move the fuse box in its original place. Maybe i unplugged something. Any idea if any part of the ignition system goes to the fuse box or to any relays?
Sorry I'm no expert you will have to just wait and see if anyone else responds

Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

mellos wrote:
Kyle28rsa wrote:I was busy sorting out all the wiring in my car. Taking out whats not needed, making things tidy, etc. Then it just suddenly happened the next day. I did move the fuse box in its original place. Maybe i unplugged something. Any idea if any part of the ignition system goes to the fuse box or to any relays?

Thank for the help though
mellos
Cadet

Post by mellos »

Kyle28rsa wrote:
mellos wrote:

Thank for the help though
No problem