DIY Gutter maintenance

MSD
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

DIY Gutter maintenance

Post by MSD »

This weekend the polo 9n went to the mechanic to have its gearbox removed. When i got back they were still busy on the car. They removed the plastic fender arch liner and mud flap. i had a look and found that sand had collected over the years and filled the area inside the fender. i cleaned it out and realised that that is one of the major causes of rust in the fender and side rails. Any how i cleaned that up and then inspected the remainder of the inner arch.

I found the rectangular outlet from the windscreen gutter was full of sand, mud, twigs, i even found a cable tie..... The plastic fender arch prevents larger objects from going through and as a result it creates a dam and the water starts to fill into your fresh air inlet.

Anyway i removed as much as i could by hand. The rectangular opening is sharp and i would suggest using gloves. It is a messy job.

I could see more dirt but it was inaccessible. at this point i brought out my tool box and began opening the parts.

I began removing the wipers using a 13mm socket. Memorise the approximate position before removing. The wipe arm was stuck to the rotating shaft but a little q20 and it will pop right off. I then removed the rubber that seals the engine bay and the bonnet. It did came off with ease. I then wiggled the plastic gutter cover and loosened it by pulling downwards towards the engine. After the plastic was removed i could see the dirt but the fresh air inlet cover was still in the way. Using a 10mm socket helped me open get the bolts out. Be carefull as the pastic is fragile and will break, especially where the bolt goes. I then inspected the air inlet flap and rotated it a few times using the recirculate button in the car. it sealed correctly. I then ensured it was closed and poured water into the gutter to clean in up using a bottle and spout. A hose will do but i didnt want to flood the area.

Next weekend i am to have the right side fender and gutter cleaned and refreshed.

I will try and post pictures as soon as i can.
MSD
Wheel Whore

Re: DIY Gutter maintenance

Post by MSD »

Gutter outlet Image

Sent from my POT-LX1AF using Tapatalk

MSD
Wheel Whore

Re: DIY Gutter maintenance

Post by MSD »