CarLoss
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Caddy MK3

2.0 FSI Cold Start Automatic Choke Problem

Post by CarLoss »

Hi

so I have a Audi A3 2.0 FSI (non turbo) that doesn’t always activate the automatic choke to warm up on a cold start.
So nowadays on the first start of the day on a cold mornings +- 14°C it cranks fine and starts smooth but the RPM sits around 900 where it’d normally sit with a warm engine. Usually itd have a much higher idle and sit at 1100rpm to warm up the engine. Sometimes after a few hours after the car has been driving later on in the day with a much higher outside temperature it activates the choke so I’m a bit confused.

Any advice would be appreciated. Does this have something to do with the EVAP system?
TDi
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: 2.0 FSI Cold Start Automatic Choke Problem

Post by missioner »

Firstly your engine does NOT have an automatic choke.

This was something that existed when carburettors and mechanical fuel systems where cutting edge technology. Like in the 1960's.

Your car is equipped with Bosch Motronic fully sequential direct injection engine management system. It's electric and computer controlled.

I do understand what you are getting at, the car is not performing the warm up cycle every time on cold mornings, this could point to several sensors that may be faulty.

The first step is to get the stored faults read off the engine management computer, then some fault finding must be done to ascertain the exact component/s causing the issue.

Bear in mind that the warm up cycle will only happen if the conditions are met for it to be needed, ie: it's below a certain ambient temperature, coolant is below a set temperature, etc. The ECU will use the various sensors to determine if the warmup is necessary or not.

Depending on your location we can recommend a trustworthy workshop to go to that can look after you and your car.

Sent from my ***-L22 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
325i
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Re: 2.0 FSI Cold Start Automatic Choke Problem

Post by 325i »

Hi I am facing the exact same problem, although on a Polo 9N3 2.0. Even after being parked outside overnight in cold temperatures it would still not idle at the usual ~1100 rpm. This happens intermittently so I suspect there must be an issue and is not normal. Did you figure out what the problem was?

Sent from my LIO-AL00 using Tapatalk