Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 1 month
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: VW
Membership No: missing

Surge when turning right on corners

Post by JunaVivo »

Hey everyone

Recently got a mk3 Jetta 1.8i mp9. The issue is when taking a sharp right corner most times the car will surge for like 1-2 seconds and then drive fine. On straight roads and up hills there are no issues. It's done this with the fuel gauge sitting on the quarter mark. The fuel system is still the factory setup. All the rubber pipes look intact.
Also put in new plugs, leads, rotor, cap and coil about two weeks ago.

Is this signs of a failing/clogged fuel pump and / or filter?

Any suggestions what I should look at?

Thanks
79 MK1 GLS 1500 - Stock Standard
Citi 2.0 - 8V Performance
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Re: Surge when turning right on corners

Post by VAG Fan »

It could simply be that the gauge is not accurate, and the the tank is closer to empty than you think. If you wanted to, you could pump empty the tank, by disconnecting a fuel line and putting it into a canister, and bridging the fuel pump relay. That would tell you how accurate the gauge is.

However, I've also had one instance of a failing fuel pump that would sometimes stop running in (left) turns, until one day it stopped completely. This was a 040-type 6.5 bar pump in an Audi.

I don't think the filter would really respond to turns. If the car is running fine on straights and up hills, I think the filter is fine for now.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
JunaVivo
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 1 month
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: VW

Post by JunaVivo »

Thanks. Just an update, changed the filter over the weekend and the issue was still present. Then proceeded to filled the tank to just below the half way mark and the surging disappeared. Car drove normal until the fuel gauge got back to quarter mark. So now it's clear that it's only doing this when the fuel level is low.

Will drain the fuel as suggested to get an idea of how much fuel is actually in the tank and if this corresponds with the gauge. Been doing some reading and it would appear that a failing pump could also be the problem.
79 MK1 GLS 1500 - Stock Standard
Citi 2.0 - 8V Performance
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: SEAT

Post by Supervan II »

JunaVivo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:40 pm Thanks. Just an update, changed the filter over the weekend and the issue was still present. Then proceeded to filled the tank to just below the half way mark and the surging disappeared. Car drove normal until the fuel gauge got back to quarter mark. So now it's clear that it's only doing this when the fuel level is low.

Will drain the fuel as suggested to get an idea of how much fuel is actually in the tank and if this corresponds with the gauge. Been doing some reading and it would appear that a failing pump could also be the problem.
Or it could be that your fuel tank has a large dent in it from underneath, which would also affect your fuel guage reading. Perhaps you should first jack up the rear and have a look-see as it's quite possible that it was jacked up there or even slid off the rear axle whilst being jacked up.