oemplus
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1,9 TDI Sportline

2E with Weber 40s Side Drafts

Post by oemplus »

Hi There

Anybody know of a place or have a vacuum advance dizzy with a 2E gear and ring adaptor in Cape Town or another option that can work on a 2E block with sidedrafts

Much appreciated
VW Chico 1.3 (2E 2l 8v, Twin Weber 40s, 50mm Exhaust )
Seat Cupra TDI (EGR delete, Racepipe, Straightpipe, RK Button Clutch, Hybrid Turbo, Coilovers, Stage 2+)
VW Beetle 1600S (Full restoration)
Mazda MX5 NB (Decat, Solid Mounts, CAI)
VW Polo TDI Sportline 9n (EGR delete, Racepipe, Straightpipe, RK Comp Clutch, Stage 1)
VW Citi 1.4i (272cam, Profit 50mm Exhaust)
DeanK
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: 2E with Weber 40s Side Drafts

Post by DeanK »

Hi

Finally back in the office for a day ....

I had the same problem when I built the 16v for Dean's chico.
My solution was a dictator with tps on the carbs.
This allowed me use the standard 16v dizzy ( no vacuum on it ).

It has now been 12 months since Wessel did my dyno and I have not touched the carbs.
Lot's of comments on how unreliable sidies are , but mine works without hasslses.

You can always contact Rowland at Rowland manifolds to chat about the dizzy - I know he was looking at doing a modification to an Uno dizzy to fit the 16v's.
oemplus
Cadet

Post by oemplus »

Thank!!

Actually spoke to him yesterday.

His going to sort me out
Seat Cupra TDI (EGR delete, Racepipe, Straightpipe, RK Button Clutch, Hybrid Turbo, Coilovers, Stage 2+)
VW Polo TDI Sportline 9n (EGR delete, Racepipe, Straightpipe, RK Comp Clutch, Stage 1)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Golf3 carbs had a electronic distributor with an electronic ecu that advanced timing. If you can get hold of one of those boxes it works just fine. Very similar to what was on 2l 16v K-jet mk2.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
oemplus
Cadet

Post by oemplus »

Thanks Panic and Dean

All sorted by Mr Rowland.

For anybody that needs the info, he took the stock vacuum advance distributor and swapped a 2E gear and machined and fitted the collar for R400.

Ran like a dream after I had the carbs rebuilt (synced, tuned, CO tested by Carb Master) He informed me the dizzy was on its way out and that he's not happy with the fuel pump location (Facet low pressure pump in the bay next to carbs) as well as the timing was slightly out

I replaced the dizzy, did timing, replaced plugs

At the moment its not running great (starts up and idles/revs great, but dies under load)

Any recommendations for a suitable (correct) spark plug to run? Currently running NGK BP6ES
Also, it has a low pressure Facet fuel pump in the bay next to the carbs, should I change the setup and relocate it closer to the tank? Will also be fitting a FPR
missioner
Major
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Facet pumps dont like to suck.

Best location is under the car next to the fuel tank.

Make sure its fused and powered through a relay.

I also sometimes run the pump from it's own dedicated switch. It helps from time to time to be able to turn the pump off independently of the ignition switch.

Stock carb motor takes BPR7ES-ZN plugs
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Huzair786
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Post by Huzair786 »

Howsit any1 know how to take out the intake manifold on my polo 9n 2007 model theres a water pipe underneath that has a leak i jus replaced my thermostat housing recently...
oemplus
Cadet

Post by oemplus »

Thanks Missioner!

You a great help.
oemplus
Cadet

Post by oemplus »

Just an update on what I did. This info might help someone

First thing I did was relocate the pump to the rear next to the tank. Picked up a standard galvanised L bracket at the friendly hardware and mounted the pump (on a 45 degree angle as per manufacturer) on rubber mounts (tygerberg rubber) to the bracket.Inserted a rivnut and bolted it to the chassis. I did a prefilter setup between the tank and pump as well as a filter between engine bay line and carbs. Since then I never has a fuel supply issue. Im running a low pressure facet pump matched perfectly to the volume/pressure needed by carbs and it self regulates and primes therefore no FPR or return line is needed.(Can supply part number for anyone who needs it)

For plugs in running a OEM VW 3 prong plug from Goldwagen (Can supply part number to whomever needs it will have to confirm)

Had the carbs and timing dialed in perfect by Rowland Manifolds. The stock intake trumpets on the Weber 40s has a lip on the transition between trumpet/gasket/carb. Rowland developed a machined trumpet which perfectly transitions to carb. Smoother path for air travel. Tremendously improves throttle response and performance.

Since spark, fuel supply and and timing has been fixed - it runs like a dream.
oemplus
Cadet

Post by oemplus »

I'm currently wrapping up my build 2e bottom end with crossflow head + twin weber 40s

My current dilemma is finalising the cooling. My end goal would be something that fits hidden behind the slam panel. I have been reading up people using a Corsa B radiator, golf 4 radiator even flipping the OEM MK1 radiator.

Looking for some advice on a clean simple and reliable setup🙏

Thanks guys!