Golf mk1 1.4i 2007 model no power

Silas james
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Golf mk1 1.4i 2007 model no power

Post by Silas james »

Hi. I own a golf mk1 1.4i 2007 model. I noticed a few months ago that on cold start it wouldn't start the first time like it used to but rather starts on the second turn. I also realized that on an incline it loses power, the Rev goes up but not the actual speed this also happens on a flat road. When I leave the accelerator and press again then it seems to be fine. I have already done the following :

New coil pack from VW
Changed oil, oil filter, petrol filter, air filter and Bosch spark plugs. I also changed the spark plug leads (bremi)

The problem is still there.

Please help me. Thanking you in advance for the advice.
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi ADY

Re: Golf mk1 1.4i 2007 model no power

Post by chucker02 »

Coldstart issue is most likely the water temp sensor. The second problem sounds like your clutch is slipping
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
Silas james
Enlisted

Post by Silas james »

chucker02 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:38 am Coldstart issue is most likely the water temp sensor. The second problem sounds like your clutch is slipping
Thanks for the advice. I did forget to mention that I did replace the water temp switch. Still does the same thing. Im certain it's not the clutch as I have an idea of what it feels like when the clutch slips. I have now removed the cable for the sound system that is attached to the battery and will monitor as I did notice that the battery light stays on longer than usual.
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

If ur revs go up but ur speed stays the same its very possible that ur clutch is slipping... i cannot think of anything else that will cause it ...it can be that the clutch plate is fine but u have an oil leak on the rear main seal ,or on the brass bush over the push rod or the cable is not correctly set.
Previous experience... on my 1.6 velo the brass bush popped out or was worn out 1week after i bought the car i dont know how so assuming it was clutch due to similar symptoms like what u explaining. we pulled out the box only to find a stuffed up bush with a brand new clutch kit since i had just bought the car i had no idea who the previous mech was who worked on the car i just bought a new bush and soaked the clutch plate in paraffin also skimmed the flywheel just a lil to get rid if the burnt parts and all seemed good after that for a few months until i sold the car for an upgrade
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
Silas james
Enlisted

Post by Silas james »

Trishen94 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:17 pm If ur revs go up but ur speed stays the same its very possible that ur clutch is slipping... i cannot think of anything else that will cause it ...it can be that the clutch plate is fine but u have an oil leak on the rear main seal ,or on the brass bush over the push rod or the cable is not correctly set.
Previous experience... on my 1.6 velo the brass bush popped out or was worn out 1week after i bought the car i dont know how so assuming it was clutch due to similar symptoms like what u explaining. we pulled out the box only to find a stuffed up bush with a brand new clutch kit since i had just bought the car i had no idea who the previous mech was who worked on the car i just bought a new bush and soaked the clutch plate in paraffin also skimmed the flywheel just a lil to get rid if the burnt parts and all seemed good after that for a few months until i sold the car for an upgrade
Thanks dude for that. Will have a look into that. Really apreciate the advice