1.6i MP9 motor

Brandonblb
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

1.6i MP9 motor

Post by Brandonblb »

Hi Petrol heads

Need help I blew my head gasket just want to no is it safe to change my thermostat to one that open on 75° instead of 87° also must I replace my head bolts ?
Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

Re: 1.6i MP9 motor

Post by Dub rox »

Brandonblb wrote:Hi Petrol heads

Need help I blew my head gasket just want to no is it safe to change my thermostat to one that open on 75° instead of 87° also must I replace my head bolts ?
Advice on the head bolts...

Take old ones for samples to spares shop. Get new ones and take old ones to scrap metal or throw them away.....

Sent from my VFD320 using Tapatalk

OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Brandonblb wrote:Hi Petrol heads

On the thermostat.

The engine has a certain opperating temperature so if you fiddle with that and fit a lower temp thermostat it will open before opperating temp is reached ( so do some homework on that )and take much longer to warm up, use more fuel on cold start and more wear and tear on the working bits,
thicker oil for longer, etc.

What is the reason for you asking? Precaution maybe?

If your head gasket blew over heat issues i'd check the cooling system ie: radiator, hoses and water bottle for blockages and also give it a good clean and flush and or replace.Also make sure your water pump is in good nick and working propperly.

If it was me i would replace it for good measure and use the engine specified thermostat along with some decent grade antifreeze.

Brandonblb
Enlisted

Post by Brandonblb »

Hi Bro thanks for the info

The head gasket blew still don't no how as my heat gauge never went higher than half ever . Can only think maybe previous people did patch up job
Brandonblb
Enlisted

Post by Brandonblb »

Hi guys ok so I disconnected the water pipes going to the oil heat exchanger and blocked it off temporarily and started up . After a while I saw oil dripping from the oil heat exchanger where the pipes came off

1 I hope it's that cause I don't think oil should come out there .

2 I flushed the water system with normal water but when I start up and car idles hot and let it cool down there is mayonnaise in bottle but only floating can it be in the system and it needs time to work out or what must I do .

I checked inside my tapped cover still no signals of mixing .

I appreciate your help
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Head gasket is blown ,

Sometimes the water mixes into oil or the oil is mixing into the water , the latter is what you're experiencing.
The oil already made it way through the either cooling system hence you seeing it in the heat exchanger.

Either is bad , but having water in your oil is the worst of the two.

Will need to purchase new head bolts and having the thermostat open earlier is not a good idea - car will never get to operating temp
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

ICE King wrote:Head gasket is blown ,

Sometimes the water mixes into oil or the oil is mixing into the water , the latter is what you're experiencing.
The oil already made it way through the either cooling system hence you seeing it in the heat exchanger.

Either is bad , but having water in your oil is the worst of the two.

Will need to purchase new head bolts and having the thermostat open earlier is not a good idea - car will never get to operating temp
What he saydImage

If there is oil in your water there would be water in the oil aswell. Both systems are run by pumps and the water system has presure in it when hot. If the cooling system is hot and the engine is switched off, there is a busted seal or some breach between the two, water will pertrude into the oil because of the hot water presure.

It is possible that your thermostat did not open all the way because of age or rust and gave you the reading on the heat guage of half..... Meanwhile in the engine side things were getting hot as hell.

Brandonblb
Enlisted

Post by Brandonblb »

Thanks all sorted