Mk3 GTi engine issue

noor
Captain
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Mk3 GTi engine issue

Post by noor »

hope someone can help me out as i am completely baffled. i know i don't drive my car much and it parks off for 6 - 10 months each year with me only driving it when ever i get a chance meaning only in summer. however, one thing i never skip out on is servicing my GTi annually. for those who don't know my car,its a Golf Mk3 GTi 2door with the 2E long block engine. what i did this year was replace my fuel pump, replace the fuel filter, replace the usual items like spark plugs, oil, air filter, etc. i needed to replace my fuel pump as i could smell the fuel inside the tank was off so therefore drained all the fuel since when i started the car, there was no power and it idled very erratically and appeared to idle only on 2 cylinders.

after replacing all these items the car still idles only on 2 cylinders (1 and 3). the cylinders 2 and 4 isn't working for some reason. i already checked for spark and across all 4 cylinders its definitely there (pulled out plugs from spark plug to see for spark) however, removing the plugs for cylinder 2 and 4 makes no impact on idling of the car.

anyone have any ideas as i am completely baffled... :fear:
VW Golf Mk5 GTi DSG
VW Golf Mk3 GTi 3dr 2litre 8V
ex - VW Jetta Mk3 CLi Exec 2litre 8V
ex - VW Jetta Mk3 VR6 3.0litre 12V
noor
Captain

Re: Mk3 GTi engine issue

Post by noor »

do you think it is the injectors? remember this engine has Bosch engine management system, not MP9... and if it is the injectors would i need to strip it and have it cleaned to see whats wrong? remember the fuel is getting to the injectors as everything before the injectors have been replaced and is working 100% as i did a check as well by swopping fuses causing the fuel pump to remain on when ignition is on which allowed me to easily drain the fuel tank...
VW Golf Mk5 GTi DSG
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Did you remove the spark plugs as well and check that all four spark while cranking the motor?

A buddy had some issue with his Mk3 CLI and we checked the injectors by removing the whole fuel rail and placing a old towel under the injectors, then cranking. It was another issue, but we managed to at least check that it was getting fuel.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
noor
Captain

Post by noor »

Jetta2 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:13 pm Did you remove the spark plugs as well and check that all four spark while cranking the motor?

A buddy had some issue with his Mk3 CLI and we checked the injectors by removing the whole fuel rail and placing a old towel under the injectors, then cranking. It was another issue, but we managed to at least check that it was getting fuel.
yes i confirmed all 4 spark whilst cranking the motor - so it means i need to remove the injectors and fuel rail... my worst nightmare... :cry:
VW Golf Mk5 GTi DSG
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Moral of the story, drive the car more ...... :oops:

GLWF .......
noor
Captain

Post by noor »

Howie-WP wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:53 pm Moral of the story, drive the car more ...... :oops:

GLWF .......
yeah but i know guys who drive their cars once a year as well and no issues and have been doing so for years... :oops:
VW Golf Mk5 GTi DSG
noor
Captain

Post by noor »

so i guess nobody has any info on what could resolve my problem????
VW Golf Mk5 GTi DSG
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

No - YOU need to do some diagnosis ie have the injectors checked. Nobody else can just simply give an answer to why it's happening without seeing the car or you giving some feedback.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
noor
Captain

Post by noor »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 am No - YOU need to do some diagnosis ie have the injectors checked. Nobody else can just simply give an answer to why it's happening without seeing the car or you giving some feedback.
thanks much appreciated - i have been hectic busy with work but plan to sort the engine out october - will be getting a buddy who works for VW to pop over to me and then we can have a look..
VW Golf Mk5 GTi DSG
noor
Captain

Post by noor »

finally had a check on the injectors and its the fuel rail, only injector 1 and 3 working but 2 and 4 isnt. had the complete fuel rail removed and taken by my buddy to VW and inserted into an ultrasonic bath to clean it. seems that didnt work as when we fitted it back problem still there, engine cranks but backfires like crazy and sounds like only 2cylinders working.

then tried to source another complete fuel rail - seems its NLA (no longer available). i tried all the parts shops like Mikes Place, Goldwagens, 786 Spares, VW Spares, etc and none of them have this 2E Bosch fuel rail.

so how hard is it to fit an Mp9 fuel rail onto a 2E engine? I doubt it will work but i previously owned a jetta CLi exec with the MP9 2litre 8V engine and the head seems the same from the pics I took. this digifant engine seems like it was a problem child no wonder VW SA opted for something different...

any help appreciated...
VW Golf Mk5 GTi DSG
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

You could fit the rail but the injector values might not be right. mp9 has individual injector wiring and the resistance might be wrong when you put them all together. You'll have to do some measurements. And then I also have no idea what CC flow the 2E's are - have never needed to find out.
Put a wanted post on - somebody will have one somewhere.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
mike65
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 9 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: mk1

Post by mike65 »

noor wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:02 pm finally had a check on the injectors and its the fuel rail, only injector 1 and 3 working but 2 and 4 isnt. had the complete fuel rail removed and taken by my buddy to VW and inserted into an ultrasonic bath to clean it. seems that didnt work as when we fitted it back problem still there, engine cranks but backfires like crazy and sounds like only 2cylinders working.

then tried to source another complete fuel rail - seems its NLA (no longer available). i tried all the parts shops like Mikes Place, Goldwagens, 786 Spares, VW Spares, etc and none of them have this 2E Bosch fuel rail.

so how hard is it to fit an Mp9 fuel rail onto a 2E engine? I doubt it will work but i previously owned a jetta CLi exec with the MP9 2litre 8V engine and the head seems the same from the pics I took. this digifant engine seems like it was a problem child no wonder VW SA opted for something different...

any help appreciated...
Seems like your injectors is and issue...have the injectors cleaned
Watch this space
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Locally I would try obvious places like scrapyards or anywhere that imports engines. Otherwise you'll need to try find NOS (new old stock)
Try Graham Savage from Goldwagen JHB CDB, his inventory or old/hard to find parts is massive.

If all local suppliers fail, it's time to look internationally:

https://www.vwheritage.com

If they don't have you can also look on fakebook for a group called Merseycabriobreakers. They should be able to source what you need from their stock or donor vehicles.

Expect shipping to cost more than the parts though, so put in a big order for everything needed on the car to make it worthwhile to import.
Otherwise you can also try VWVortex.
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Post a picture of your rail and injectors. Chances are that someone may have what you need.
noor
Captain

Post by noor »

EX-DOHCTOR wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:02 am Locally I would try obvious places like scrapyards or anywhere that imports engines. Otherwise you'll need to try find NOS (new old stock)
Try Graham Savage from Goldwagen JHB CDB, his inventory or old/hard to find parts is massive.

If all local suppliers fail, it's time to look internationally:

https://www.vwheritage.com

If they don't have you can also look on fakebook for a group called Merseycabriobreakers. They should be able to source what you need from their stock or donor vehicles.

Expect shipping to cost more than the parts though, so put in a big order for everything needed on the car to make it worthwhile to import.
Otherwise you can also try VWVortex.
thanks and i managed to import a complete fuel rail for R750 from uk and ended up paying R350 for shipping plus R150 for customs/excise duties. fitted it and engine started perfectly first time round - all sorted now. thanks to all for the help...
VW Golf Mk5 GTi DSG
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Glad you got her sorted. Now how about some more photo's?
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...