Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1.4i Citi Golf

Citi Golf 1.4i UniQ issues (possibly?)

Post by R32-boy »

Hi Guys😊
I have a Citi 1.4i with a slight array of mods as follows:

272Β° Estas cam
Viper 4-2-1 branch
Stock exhaust (back box replaced due to baffles)
UniQ chip

When the car was completely stock (exception of the air filter removed from the airbox) I had 2 power runs done at Autotrix dyno which yielded 64kw & 122nm atw.

After fitting the cam and branch I had another 2 power runs at the same dyno under similar conditions and the results were 73.3kw & 122nm atw.

So on to the dilemma...
I proceeded to get the UniQ fitted and tuned by a "reputable" tuner in Durban. I knew there wouldn't be a massive increase in power, but there should be some feeling on the road as to the cars performance being noticeably different. On his dyno the car produced 78kw atw.
In all honesty, I couldn't feel much difference at all as compared to driving with no chip.
(Only difference was in 5th gear)
The tuner did mention that my fpr needed to be changed or he could use the old trick of knocking it in to increase the flow, but wanted to charge for another retune. I wouldn't trust this method as well if no gauge was used to determine the pressure after.πŸ˜‘

And now to where the problem starts...
After a week of driving the car I noticed that the fuel pump would always prime twice when I turned on the ignition.
Suddenly one night the car just swung and wouldn't take despite the fuel pump priming twice.
Tried again and heard the fuel pump prime once and then only did the car start up quite slowly.

Ever since then this has been happening with the fuel pump priming either once or twice and on rare occasions not priming at all on initial ignition. The car will swing and start halfway and then instantly cut off or it will just swing and sort of stutter into life/ slow start up, or it will start on the turn with no issues at all despite priming once or twice.

I've only being experiencing this problem ever since the chip has been installed.
My question is, could this issue be related to the chip itself probably kicking off whatever map was on it or could it be spiking?

The car also struggles to go past 180km/h now days, so I'm assuming the fuelling is definitely out as well as overfueling/ heavy on fuel.
I never disconnected the battery or touched ignition timing since it was chipped.

I will be going to a different tuner in the week to come, but I would appreciate any valuable input that you guys have as to why this is/could be happeningπŸ€”

Many ThanksπŸ˜‡
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Citi Golf 1.4i UniQ issues (possibly?)

Post by panic-mechanic »

Go back to the tuner - let him install a bypass plug - see if the problem goes away. if it does then yes it's the uniq. if not then no it isn't.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
R32-boy
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1.4i Citi Golf

Post by R32-boy »

Thanks Panic, I'll ask the new tuner to do thisπŸ™Œ

As for the fpr, if I do plan on going with an external unit, how would I go about setting it up?
I know many guys connect it to there return line from the rail. Does this work effectively? Or is there another way?
Can the mp9 rails handle up to 4bar of pressure?πŸ€”
Car: 1.4i Citi Golf
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I don't understand the reason for higher fuel pressure. Those injectors are enough for about 150hp so really no need to up the fuel pressure.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.