speedo issue

1452nana
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

speedo issue

Post by 1452nana »

Hi there,

so Browsing the forums cant seem to find the help i need,

i have a 2001 Polo Playa millenium dash. the speedo is problem matic.

it doesnt work :-(

i have replace the electronic sensor, and water temp sensor (because that was a suggestion) and to my dismay i am still sitting with the issue.

when the speedo is plugged into the gearbox the car will start, when you try and pull away the car will cut out. once unplugged i can drive it.

please help.
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Membership No: 1041

Re: speedo issue

Post by UDC »

which electronic sensor did you change
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

I had this problem once, if he ecu is decoded theres a wire that has to be cut inorder for the speedo to work. Im not too sure which wire. I had Nizam @ Autotronix to sort it out for me

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
1452nana
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by 1452nana »

Hi Guys, i replaced the speedo sensor located on the gearbox its the speedo drive i belive. could you explain decoding to me? my ignition key has no chip in it.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Ashveer03 wrote:I had this problem once, if he ecu is decoded theres a wire that has to be cut inorder for the speedo to work. Im not too sure which wire. I had Nizam @ Autotronix to sort it out for me

What is a decoded ECU?
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

1452nana wrote:Hi Guys, i replaced the speedo sensor located on the gearbox its the speedo drive i belive. could you explain decoding to me? my ignition key has no chip in it.
If im not mistaken all polos from like 1997 has a transponder with a coded key. Not the best explanation, but anyway - The key sends a signal to a sensor on the ignition and from the ignition to the ecu (tells the ecu if the correct key is being used).
A decoded ecu will not have that security feature. Ecu's are decoded by having some chip removed from them (something like that) or sometimes if they are remapped.

I did have the exact same problem on a mp9 system, it started after i got the ecu remapped, when i spoke to the guy who remapped it, he said some wire has to be cut for it to work (not everybody likes sharing their experiences) but he got it sorted out at no charge.

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
ShiveshPanday
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months
Car Model: Polo Classic 1.6i Millennium

Post by ShiveshPanday »

Hi, did you also happen to have trouble starting the car as in the car cutting off 2 seconds after started. I am having this problem. My speedo is not working as well. Could my speedo sensor be related to this problem in anyway?
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

ShiveshPanday wrote:Hi, did you also happen to have trouble starting the car as in the car cutting off 2 seconds after started. I am having this problem. My speedo is not working as well. Could my speedo sensor be related to this problem in anyway?
U probably have an immobilizer issue. Try using ur spare key

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk