Polo Playa Jerking

zak123
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Polo Playa Jerking

Post by zak123 »

Hi Guys. I am new to the forum and would like some guidance.

I drive a 2002 Polo (millennium edition) 1.6 Polo. In recent months I have experienced the car is jerking whilst driving. It is very erratic and not continuous (can't narrow it down to weather conditions etc.) The car will loose power and jerk vigorously whilst accelerating. It usually happens whilst gaining speed in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. Should I switch the car off and restart the jerk is no longer there. I have spoken to my mech and he is also not sure what the problem is. He is thinking we start by changing the coil pack. The problem is I do not want to waste money by trial and error. Has anyone had similar issues? What was the cause/solution? Can I perhaps get some guidance on what "checks" or "tests" can be done to pinpoint the problem in order to eliminate me having to replace parts unnecessarily? I have read on some other sites that it may be sign of a fuel pump giving up or dirty fuel injectors - my mech however advised that if this was the case the jerk will be consistent and not inconsistent like mine. Additional Info: I know my car currently has an issue of valve stem seals which are leaking (car smokes alot and uses oil), my mech is however confident that this is not be the cause of the jerk.

Thanks
melkbospolo
Enlisted
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo '97 1.8 & '98 1.6

Re: Polo Playa Jerking

Post by melkbospolo »

Any one know where I can buy a MAP sensor for Polo 1.6 '98 in or around Cape Town please and approximate cost?

[/quote]
zak123 wrote:Hi Guys. I am new to the forum and would like some guidance.

I drive a 2002 Polo (millennium edition) 1.6 Polo. In recent months I have experienced the car is jerking whilst driving. It is very erratic and not continuous (can't narrow it down to weather conditions etc.) The car will loose power and jerk vigorously whilst accelerating. It usually happens whilst gaining speed in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. Should I switch the car off and restart the jerk is no longer there. I have spoken to my mech and he is also not sure what the problem is. He is thinking we start by changing the coil pack. The problem is I do not want to waste money by trial and error. Has anyone had similar issues? What was the cause/solution? Can I perhaps get some guidance on what "checks" or "tests" can be done to pinpoint the problem in order to eliminate me having to replace parts unnecessarily? I have read on some other sites that it may be sign of a fuel pump giving up or dirty fuel injectors - my mech however advised that if this was the case the jerk will be consistent and not inconsistent like mine. Additional Info: I know my car currently has an issue of valve stem seals which are leaking (car smokes alot and uses oil), my mech is however confident that this is not be the cause of the jerk.

Thanks
melkbospolo
Enlisted

Post by melkbospolo »

Hi Zak123

I have / had similar issues with a 1.6 '98 and a 1.8 '97. I found that the temperature sender unit (yellow band) which on my cars sits on the top of the coolant pipe going into the cylinder head front and center - was giving the wrong resistance reading to the ECU. When the engine is cold it should give a reading of between 1.5 K ohm and 2.5K. Mine was giving 13.2 K! The effect it that the ECU adjusts fuel supply (how long the injectors are switched on for) according to the signals it gets from the sensors. Typically if the engine revs around 2500 rpm in idle then it is very likely the temperature sender unit at fault. Lack of power is also related to this but more likely to be the Max Air Pressure sensor (on the gearbox end of the intake manifold on my cars - Black sensor / 4 wire plug from harness). For my Polo's the temperature sender unit costs about R100 and I am still looking for a supplier of the MAP unit.

Thanks
melkbospolo
Enlisted

Post by melkbospolo »

melkbospolo wrote:
Sorry - typical amateur error - MAP is for Manifold Absolute Pressure :oops:

Hi Zak123

I have / had similar issues with a 1.6 '98 and a 1.8 '97. I found that the temperature sender unit (yellow band) which on my cars sits on the top of the coolant pipe going into the cylinder head front and center - was giving the wrong resistance reading to the ECU. When the engine is cold it should give a reading of between 1.5 K ohm and 2.5K. Mine was giving 13.2 K! The effect it that the ECU adjusts fuel supply (how long the injectors are switched on for) according to the signals it gets from the sensors. Typically if the engine revs around 2500 rpm in idle then it is very likely the temperature sender unit at fault. Lack of power is also related to this but more likely to be the Max Air Pressure sensor (on the gearbox end of the intake manifold on my cars - Black sensor / 4 wire plug from harness). For my Polo's the temperature sender unit costs about R100 and I am still looking for a supplier of the MAP unit.

Thanks
Soprano
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo

Post by Soprano »

Hi
I had a similiar issue on my 9N Polo 2006
It turned out to be a faulty spark plug which had somehow come loose on the head and was making intermittent contact resulting in the jerking. I would start out by checking the spark plugs then the coil pack and cord/cables.
If still unsuccessful get someone with a VAG tool to run a diagnostic and check for errors.
1.6 Polo Trendline
JVC front loader
2x12" Pioneer TS-W305C SVC
Star Sound Monoblock
Power Pipes Free flow 50mm dual exit

zak123
Enlisted

Post by zak123 »

Soprano wrote:Hi
I had a similiar issue on my 9N Polo 2006
It turned out to be a faulty spark plug which had somehow come loose on the head and was making intermittent contact resulting in the jerking. I would start out by checking the spark plugs then the coil pack and cord/cables.
If still unsuccessful get someone with a VAG tool to run a diagnostic and check for errors.
Thanks - I have already run the diagnostic tool and no errors.

Seems like a good idea to start off with the spark plugs - cheaper option as well
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

BAH engine I am assuming?. Yeah have a really good look at the coilpack. They crack and then miss and spark all over the place. Whenver it is slightly wet or high humidity it will be worse. Have a look at night and see if you can't see any sparking.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
zak123
Enlisted

Post by zak123 »

panic-mechanic wrote:BAH engine I am assuming?. Yeah have a really good look at the coilpack. They crack and then miss and spark all over the place. Whenver it is slightly wet or high humidity it will be worse. Have a look at night and see if you can't see any sparking.
Hi Panic Mechanic

I am not so knowledgeable with regards to engines etc. What do you mean by BAH engine? As far as I know the car is a standard 1.6i engine.

Also, how would I go about in seeing the sparks at night? The car jerks occasionally whilst driving (however seeming to happen quite often recently). Very erratic and I can't pin point to weather or moisture etc. Or are you saying I should pop open the hood at night and look for any sparks whilst the car is idling? If so, should the sparks appear on/around the coilpack?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

yes see if you can see spark on around the coil with it idling at night with the bonnet open.
Look at your registration disc. The engine number is on there - should start with BAHxxxxxx
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

zak123
Enlisted

Post by zak123 »

panic-mechanic wrote:yes see if you can see spark on around the coil with it idling at night with the bonnet open.
Look at your registration disc. The engine number is on there - should start with BAHxxxxxx
Nope - AFX.... engine number
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Oh 6n polo. Where did I see 9n?
Anyways single coil with distributor then. Yes do the same thing. Bonnet open at night see if you see spark or corona's around leads.
But those coils are famous for failing.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

VinceH
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by VinceH »

Hi can any 1 send a Pic of where temp sensor/temp sender unit is located on polo classic 1.6i 2000 model. Thanks in advance
gjones1417
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Post by gjones1417 »

zak123 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:58 am Hi Guys. I am new to the forum and would like some guidance.

Thanks
I have the same problem. Already tested new coil and temp sensor. Maybe fuel pump going?
Antondubstar
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years

Post by Antondubstar »

Hi guys i have the exact same problem on my polo playa 1.6i it jerks sometimes its very slugish up hill i looks like a common fault could i please see pic of tempreture sender
gjones1417
Enlisted

Post by gjones1417 »

I found the problem! Its the fuel pressure regulator. Mine got gunked up and the vacuum port as well. I used throttle body cleaner with a long nozzle attached and gave short squirts into the vacuum port to unclog it. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, didn't bother testing with the old one
gjones1417
Enlisted

Post by gjones1417 »

Antondubstar, i doubt its your temp sensor, a faulty one would cause your engine to run rich. You would smell petrol if its the temp sensor and notice on the temp gauge. Check your fuel filter, fuel hoses connected between fuel line and rail, throw injector cleaner in. How does your car idle?
gjones1417
Enlisted

Post by gjones1417 »

If it helps anyone, my symptoms appeared again and the problem was in fact the fuel pump relay. My car would slightly jerk randomly when accelerating and car would sometimes stall while driving or lose power while driving and no response on accelerator pedal. I have replaced fuel pump and filter, air filter, spark plugs and leads, tried ignition coil, throttle body and map sensor from a working car, as well as another distributor. In the end it was a relay that were faulty when the car warmed up. It only cost R100 for replacement but i unfortunately spent almost R2000 getting to the actual problem😭
Antondubstar
Enlisted

Post by Antondubstar »

I have tried injector cleaner and replaced coil leads plugs replaced fuel filter and water temp switch
Still the car jerks alot when cold espicail when under load like if i drive bellow 2000rm up a hill it jerks alot
Please help me to pin point probelm
gjones1417
Enlisted

Post by gjones1417 »

Have you tried shifting down when going uphill? You need to be over 2000 revs going uphill. If your car jerk when doing normal flat road driving, you should have a look at your distributor
Mush127
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 8 months

Post by Mush127 »

please try to disconnect the speedometer wires and test it again.
Antondubstar
Enlisted

Post by Antondubstar »

Howzit gents i have an issue with my playa 2001 1.6i when i remove my key every single dash warning light comes out even warning lights that dont apply to 6n2 sa spec when i turn the key to start all dissapear when switched off and key out if i turn the light switch to put parks on it automatically comes right and lights disappear. would greatly appreciate assistance on any one who had issue and resolved it