kyle90
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf MK1 1.4

Citi Golf Carb Setup

Post by kyle90 »

Hi everyone,

I have a 2002 1.4 Citi Golf. I recently had issues with it idling. I then bought a carb kit and changed everything. Not being a mechanic I didnt take much care to where the mix screw was set as well at the needle screw. Needles to say its not running the way it should and its also using far too much fuel and its still not idling.

I got the following number off a sticker on the carb. Not sure if this is the carb model 17S 129 017A

I'd greatly appreciate any assistance in getting my carb set up.

Many thanks
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Re: Citi Golf Carb Setup

Post by Quik-Trix »

so did you change all the jets and put the new gasket on that came with the kit?
kyle90
Enlisted

Post by kyle90 »

Yes I did, replaced everything as well as the think gasket that goes under the carb.

There is a large screw on the top of the carb which adjust the needle I think which is for the float level. i have also fiddled with that and not sure where it should be.
King8v
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Chevy
Car Model: Sonic 1.6 LS B&W

Post by King8v »

Just a q where did you buy this and how much did it cost?
****My VW goes BWaaaaaaaH Ppsshh****

My ride: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php ... i&start=25
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

kyle90 wrote:Yes I did, replaced everything as well as the think gasket that goes under the carb.

There is a large screw on the top of the carb which adjust the needle I think which is for the float level. i have also fiddled with that and not sure where it should be.
The way you will know when it is right, if you blow air through the fuel line, you need to hear the air noise, when the float is at about 90 degree's the air will stop blowing through, That's how I adjust them

Problem is now that you have adjusted the Jets and screwed them in full until they stop I assume, this is the trial and error part, You will need to know were the idle jets are and adjust accordingly
kyle90
Enlisted

Post by kyle90 »

ok thanks for that. i have got the float set. i also changed the vacuum pipe from the distributor. the car seems to be hunting less. i managed to get it to idle last night which is huge considering it hasnt in a few months :hurray:

ive read that the mix screw should be screwed all the way in and then out 2 1/2 turns and that should give me a starting point. mine on the other had is screwed out 15 turns and then only sort of runs. any ideas to what i should do.
King8v
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by King8v »

Is this still on the standard vw carb? Cos is also found the 2.5 turns deal to work for me on mine. i just cant seem to get to th other screw at the back. mine has one which affects the idle (idle screw) but its the mix screw i want to acces but i cant get to it with my screwdriver.

kyle90
Enlisted

Post by kyle90 »

yes this is a standard carb. you need a short flat screwdriver to access the mix screw. Not sure if my carb has another problem that it need to be turned out so far?
King8v
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by King8v »

sorry i was referring to the idle screw. thats 2.5 turns. i havent been able to access the mix screw. what does the kit consist of? and where from and hw difficult is it? sorry i just wanna do this also.

markfynesclinton
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by markfynesclinton »

Greetings all. Just as an afterthought! I have just completed a clean up and set up of my carb on the citi Golf. I have a 1.6, (1999 model).I noticed that the diaphragm on the vacuum unit dies not come in the kit ! Where would I get one of those please. I am guessing its an agents only part ?
Also after setting the needle and seat as suggested, i.e.at 90 degrees to the top of the carb body, I had success, but the kit did not have a plastic cover inside which sits on the top of the assembly (outside) to keep the muck out. I reinstalled the old one with a touch of silicone to seal it, it will make disassembly easier in the future. HOPEFULLY ! :twisted:
Safe travels.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

try goldwgaen otherwise agent only
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Loubser
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 7 months

Post by Loubser »

Hi guys i exsperianced the flooding and bad idle issue and i turned the float skrew full in and the 2 turns out and set the choke again and it runs smooth now with no problems so whoever can find the info usefull here it is