Timing on old school Fiat 128 rallye

mellos
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Timing on old school Fiat 128 rallye

Post by mellos »

My nephew has a Fiat 128 which broke the cambelt, we not sure if the valves are bent but we are going to attempt to put a new cambelt on and see from there, we need some detailed advice on how to set the timing, it's a single overhead camshaft engine, it's a 1300,I know this is not a VW but I desperately need some advice, thanks.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Timing on old school Fiat 128 rallye

Post by panic-mechanic »

set cylinder 1 on tdc. Set the cam to where it rocks between the lobes on cylinder one. Set ignition timing to where it points at the lobe for cylinder 1.
Turn engine by hand to make sure nothing bumps. Start it, adjust ignition timing to around 6-8 degrees advance, Check on dyno for best power. done.
Or try to find the markings for cam timing - there will be SOMETHING somewhere. A dot - an arrow - a cut that lines up with a cove or mark on the head.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
mellos
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Timing on old school Fiat 128 rallye

Post by mellos »

panic-mechanic wrote:set cylinder 1 on tdc. Set the cam to where it rocks between the lobes on cylinder one. Set ignition timing to where it points at the lobe for cylinder 1.
Turn engine by hand to make sure nothing bumps. Start it, adjust ignition timing to around 6-8 degrees advance, Check on dyno for best power. done.
Or try to find the markings for cam timing - there will be SOMETHING somewhere. A dot - an arrow - a cut that lines up with a cove or mark on the head.
Ok thanks panic I will try that and see,there is a dot on the camshaft pulley and some home made cuts on the pulley as well so not sure where those should line up.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk