Knock sensor location

JpTheron1984
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Knock sensor location

Post by JpTheron1984 »

Hi guys

Could you please assist and tell me where I will find my knock sensor?I drive a 2007 1.4 VW Polo Trendline (BLM Engine) TIA
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Knock sensor location

Post by missioner »

JpTheron1984 wrote:Hi guys

Could you please assist and tell me where I will find my knock sensor?I drive a 2007 1.4 VW Polo Trendline (BLM Engine) TIA
Under the inlet manifold on the the block in between the 2 and 3 cylinders.

Take the manifold off to get to it. It's an utter pain otherwise.

Why on earth do you want to change it any way? Unless you've taken a hammer to it on the bench those things never break.

Post some details of your problem and why you believe your knock sensor is to blame and maybe we can help you.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
JpTheron1984
Enlisted

Post by JpTheron1984 »

I am experiencing ignition timing noise.When the car is under load I hear a pinging sound.Up a hill or with the aircon on.It has gotten progressively worse and doing it even when car is not under load.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

first go with a vcds scan and look at timing values. See if you see any timing retard. If so then it's working fine.
Get it on a dyno and see what the fuelling looks like. if it is lean it could do the same
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

panic-mechanic wrote:first go with a vcds scan and look at timing values. See if you see any timing retard. If so then it's working fine.
Get it on a dyno and see what the fuelling looks like. if it is lean it could do the same
Could be that the fuel pump is giving up and not supplying enough fuel, it would have the same effect.

While it's on the dyno and AFR is being looked at, have a fuel pressure gauge connected at the same time.

One more thing, the fuel filter on your car has a built in fuel pressure regulator, if it has become faulty it could reduce the amount of fuel going to the motor.

Perhaps start there and see. Make sure you buy the right one, there are 4 types, yours should be a Z156 with a 3Bar pressure regulator.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
JpTheron1984
Enlisted

Post by JpTheron1984 »

Thanks for the replies guys.Tell me one more thing.I read somewhere that you can just unplug the knock sensor and drive it without to see if that is indeed the culprit?Is that true or will it cause damage?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

sure you can unplug it. Will make a fault on the management. but it should run still
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.