T5 Kombi 1.9TDi 50% loss of power

Lukenx77
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 9 months

T5 Kombi 1.9TDi 50% loss of power

Post by Lukenx77 »

Hi Everyone, New to this forum as a member however I have read lots of great advice over the last week regarding the fault with the kombi.

Ill try to keep this as short as possible but include all the relevant facts. The kombi was running 100% fine until we noticed the water level was dropping (at that time it was still running with 100% power), so it was sent to a mechanic and he replaced the head gasket, had the turbo overhauled, had the injectors tested and cleaned and installed with a new oring kit etc. It came back with about half of the power it had when it was sent to him. It feels as if the turbo isn't functioning or the last 50% of the accelerator pedal isn't there. He claims that the injectors need to be overhauled or replaced, but I do not think that is the case since it is not displaying any symptoms of bad injectors.

The symptoms are as follows:
starts up quickly
idles smoothly
revs smoothly
has constant power with no surging
no smoke
sounds smooth in general
50% less power

I have done the following:
replaced MAF sensor
checked and blanked off EGR pipe
run a diagnostics for fault codes with no codes shown
checked injectors are delivering fuel equally on diagnostics test
Checked and set boost on diagnostics test
checked for leaks on intercooler pipes
checked for leaks on EGR pipe
checked timing

I have taken it to 2 mechanics already, one of which said it could be the injector pump. I really don't want to buy a new injector pump to find out it isn't the problem having already spent a small fortune on the rebuild. Does anyone know where I can possibly have it tested in Cape Town or if there are any other suggestions of things to try or check? I can upload a video if that would help.

Thanks in advance!

Luke
Lukenx77
Enlisted

Re: T5 Kombi 1.9TDi 50% loss of power

Post by Lukenx77 »

Hi guys,

no one got any suggestions?

Luke
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Check if the VNT actuator on the turbo can move.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Lukenx77
Enlisted

Post by Lukenx77 »

Hi Guys, just thought I would update for anyone that has a similar problem. Turns out it was the Injectors. They are PD injectors and they weren't producing enough pressure. Had them rebuilt for R17k and the car runs like a dream now. Most probable cause was overheating.

Thanks Missioner, only saw your reply now.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Thanks for the update.

What happened to you is remarkably common.

Many mechanics assume there is nothing wrong with the injectors and put them back in after the repair without even getting them tested.

The red herring I have had once before was very similar to yours and we even rebuilt the turbo before getting the injectors checked. Expensive school fees that one.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Thanks for reporting back.
This is interesting to read, and to keep in mind (at least for PD engines).

You say you had them rebuilt. My impression was that PD units cannot be rebuilt. Would you be prepared to give some details on what this entails, and who did the job?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

VAG Fan wrote:Thanks for reporting back.
This is interesting to read, and to keep in mind (at least for PD engines).

You say you had them rebuilt. My impression was that PD units cannot be rebuilt. Would you be prepared to give some details on what this entails, and who did the job?
The right person can rebuild PD injectors. Not many diesel shops will though as the equipment setup needed to test them is expensive.

I learned a trade secret the other day, many of the guys work together due to the cost of testing equipment, so one guy will get a certain setup that's good for a particular variety of injectors and pumps and his "competitor" will get different equipment for other types of parts etc. They will then send work to each other when needed related to how they are setup. So regardless of what the client brings in it will get repaired to a good standard.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk