Polo 1.9 TDI ATD wont start up

govenderseelan
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDI

Polo 1.9 TDI ATD wont start up

Post by govenderseelan »

Hi Guys I'm having some trouble with my polo 1.9 TDI ATD Engine. As I was driving my car today I was in 2nd gear and went into boost the turbo died off assuming it went into limp mode, however the check engine light never came on, I switched the car off and tried to start up again but the car wouldn't start up it just cranks. I was still in motion and tried to kick start but that also never worked. It cranks over fine and theres fuel coming through, I pulled the pipe from the fuel filter off and switched the key on and fuel was coming through.I can hear the pump running when the ignition is turned on, the flap on the egr is opened the car just doesnt want to start up at all. Please help guys
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: Polo 1.9 TDI ATD wont start up

Post by Callum229 »

Howzit bud.

Check crank and cam sensor. Check that your cam Vernier did not slip or move out of time. Common fault for the 1.9 TDI engines for long cranking and no start problems.

Scan the car regardless of no check engine light.

Check ignition relay, check fuses.

Remove the intercooler pipe going to intake and try starting. Maybe turbo has died/broke and now it's stuck?

Check ground connections and for any loose wiring.

On the side of the engine, by the tandem pump, there is the injector loom, unplug and plug it back on, maybe it's loose? Also, when cranking, is your exhaust smelling of unburnt diesel?

Turn over engine by hand, it should be really hard to turn and you should be able to feel when the cylinders go into compression. If not, something is wrong internally.

When cranking, is it making attempts to fire or it's just a dead crank?

Unplug MAF and try to start.

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
govenderseelan
Enlisted

Post by govenderseelan »

Thanks for the pointers bud, as going through them I managed to locate the problem. My cam belt ripped of 7 teeth which of set the timing off and caused the no start. 🤦‍♂️
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

7 teeth? Valve damage?

Was the belt replaced as per service intervals?

Or did something seize?

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

govenderseelan wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:04 pm My cam belt ripped of 7 teeth which of set the timing off and caused the no start. 🤦‍♂️
:crazy: :crazy:
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Time to strip the head off, then.

Some valves have tap danced on the pistons because the timing belt decided to have a stripdance party.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
govenderseelan
Enlisted

Post by govenderseelan »

Howsit guys, I have done a full timing kit replacement on my car, as I brought the engine to TDC the came pulley was one tooth off. I replaced the belt, tensioner ect and car started up fine, sounds good and drives perfectly. Luck was on my side this time. Thanks guys
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

govenderseelan wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:10 pm Luck was on my side this time. Thanks guys
:crazy: :crazy:
tmohlala79@gmail.com
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by tmohlala79@gmail.com »

Same problem as mine, but my polo broke cambelt then after fixed and valves changed, it ran for 2 days then started to have cold start then doesn't wanna start anymore. If it picks up it only idle for less than 20 sec and cut
tmohlala79@gmail.com
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by tmohlala79@gmail.com »

Any solution please
Deezo777
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 7 months
Car Model: Polo TDi

Post by Deezo777 »

govenderseelan wrote:Howsit guys, I have done a full timing kit replacement on my car, as I brought the engine to TDC the came pulley was one tooth off. I replaced the belt, tensioner ect and car started up fine, sounds good and drives perfectly. Luck was on my side this time. Thanks guys
Glad you where lucky . Next time avoid cranking when it doesn't want to start without first checking the cambelt

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk