Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

TDI oil dipstick O-ring

Post by Callum229 »

Hi guys

Just replaced my dipstick tube today, the old one was glued by my now ex mechanic without my knowledge. (2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG).

Some of the silicone/epoxy chunks fell into the sump, how do I go around removing that? Is it safe to drive. Was only around one or two pieces and they both looked like silicone.

Now my dipstick, I notice it has a slight groove, is that for an O ring? Can anyone confirm if theirs has an O ring?

Please see picture below for what I am talking about.

Last edited by Callum229 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: TDI oil dipstick O-ring

Post by Jetta2 »

The only way to clean up anything that dropped in there is to drop the sump. Yes, draining the oil can maybe, just maybe let some bits come out, but if that was my car, I will drop the sump and make sure it is cleaned 100%.
Any bits in the sump can potentially clog up the oil pickup strainer and that is not a good thing.

A sump gasket and fresh oil is a hell of a lot cheaper than a motor rebuild.

And no o-ring on the dipstick. The plastic "connector" part where the dipstick goes into has an o-ring on the bottom where it slides over the metal tube.
Check here:
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/za/jetta ... 15-115020/
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

Thanks @Jetta2

I will pull the sump out one of the days during the week as car is parked off, last thing I want to do is damage the motor.

The dipstick diagram you provided is much different from the one I have on the car, mines is just a long plastic tube that comes out from a metal short tube at the bottom of the block.

It doesn't take an O ring at the bottom part, but I just put a thin dab of silicone on the end of the sealing edge just to make sure nothing can leak out. It's just the top area where the dipstick fits in, I can't seem to find any sort of rubberised seal and my NP200 1.5 dci dipstick has an O ring hence I'm worried about any crankcase ventilation leaking out.

When I do pop my dipstick while the engine is running, smoke does come out and when it's closed, it does appear as if it is sealing.Image

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Membership No: missing

Post by NHB_R »

1. Take the sump and remove any objects...its allot safer and you might just wish you had later on.
2. Take a drive to a second hand dealership that may have a car like yours and pull the dipstick out to be 100% sure it looks the same and if it has an o ring or not.
mk2-phreak
Captain
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by mk2-phreak »

My 3.0 TDI has a small O-ring at the top of the disptick.