Mc Carthy VW Oil special

MSD
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

Mc Carthy VW Oil special

Post by MSD »

Seen a post on the McCarthy VW page.... A 5lt oil conforming to 505.01 spec for around R350. It comes with a free sump drum to catch the used oil.

Can anyone confirm if the VW product is better than the Shell brand product? Both conform to 505.01 but the Shell is around 600 for a 5lt.

Sent from my POT-LX1AF using Tapatalk

MSD
Wheel Whore

Re: Mc Carthy VW Oil special

Post by MSD »

Posted pictureImage

Sent from my POT-LX1AF using Tapatalk

J0NN0
Registered for: 12 years 2 months
Car Make: No Name
Car Model: Tekkies
Membership No: 1725

Post by J0NN0 »

Following...
Jonno

2002 Volkswagen Lupo 1.4TDI - SAC: 87.7 kw 276.1nm
2018 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4x4
2006 Mitsubishi Colt Clubcab 2800 TDI
2003 Volkswagen Lupo 1.4 16v Auto
2007 SEAT LEON FR
1983 Volkswagen Caddy - Panic: 319.7hp 360nm
2008 SEAT LEON CUPRA - Oettinger: 191kw 352nm
2008 SEAT IBIZA CUPRA - HM Auto: 146.9hp 244nm
2007 SEAT LEON FR - KAR: 163.2kw 337nm
2007 Volkswagen Polo 1.6
2001 Ford Fiesta Flite 1.4i
VWCSA Membership Number: 1725
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

VW branded oil is made by Mobil, apparently.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

I have seen these ads on Facebook and read the comments as I also wanted some but it was just too cheap.

Good Castrol oil for my car costs R600+ (5W40, 505.01 spec) and other brands are in the similar price range, I also get the oil at suppliers rate, so it then costs about R450.

So I could not understand how the VW oil is half the price PLUS offering a sumpy.

I remember reading the comments (this was about 2 weeks ago) and someone damaged their TDI's engine, another guy was saying its mineral oil and another was saying VW told him to use it as top up oil.

However Bidvest McCarthy themselves commented that it is fully synthetic oil, so not sure, as it should be fine to use, it's just the price is too cheap for fully synthetic 505.01 oil.

Refer to screenshots.

I wouldn't use it though, use at your own risk as it is very hard to prove that the oil caused damage to your engine.

Although a free sumpy sounds nice!ImageImageImage

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
KaRBoN85
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 3 months
Car Model: MK5 Jetta TDI

Post by KaRBoN85 »

On the subject of oil. Has anyone had any experience with Wolf Lubricants? I see it's a European brand now sold at Goldwagen.

Attached image from December catalogue.Image

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

MSD
Wheel Whore

Post by MSD »

So im not taking chances here. Im just going to stick to my 505.01 approved Shell Helix HX7 Professional AV 5w 30 in the blue container :twisted:
V-Wagon
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by V-Wagon »

Can anyone suggest the should a new car (1 year old) with about 24 000km use oil in-between services?
Mine hasn't been needing, but just wondering
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

V-Wagon wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:23 am Can anyone suggest the should a new car (1 year old) with about 24 000km use oil in-between services?
I just get 1l/500ml of what ever was used at the last service and use as topup. If dealership, they normally sell same variant in bottles (or just ask what oil they use and then buy)
Tswerie
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Tswerie »

My understanding of vw 505.01 is fully synthetic only.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

PeterTech
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months
Car Model: Polo 1.6 TDI

Post by PeterTech »

I also bought the VW oil and used it on my last service.....after 1000 kilos no problem........will see as time goes......

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

V-Wagon
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by V-Wagon »

Thanks for the advice!
Will do that too

Cheers
Howie-WP wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:35 pm
V-Wagon wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:23 am Can anyone suggest the should a new car (1 year old) with about 24 000km use oil in-between services?
I just get 1l/500ml of what ever was used at the last service and use as topup. If dealership, they normally sell same variant in bottles (or just ask what oil they use and then buy)
PeterTech
Enlisted

Post by PeterTech »

What I have noticed is ever since I used this VW branded 5w40 oil on my last service on my 1.6 TDI, the engine sounds a bit rough or noisy when you drive or on idle. The engine was much quieter and smooth on idle when I used the Castrol 5w40. I have no idea what causes that.

amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

PeterTech wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:05 pm What I have noticed is ever since I used this VW branded 5w40 oil on my last service on my 1.6 TDI, the engine sounds a bit rough or noisy when you drive or on idle. The engine was much quieter and smooth on idle when I used the Castrol 5w40. I have no idea what causes that.

1.6 TDI needs oil spec VW507
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
PeterTech
Enlisted

Post by PeterTech »

amstel18 wrote:
PeterTech wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:05 pm What I have noticed is ever since I used this VW branded 5w40 oil on my last service on my 1.6 TDI, the engine sounds a bit rough or noisy when you drive or on idle. The engine was much quieter and smooth on idle when I used the Castrol 5w40. I have no idea what causes that.

1.6 TDI needs oil spec VW507
The sales person at the parts department at a VW dealership told me that they use this oil on all VW diesel cars and they have no other oil that they sell or use on cars that come for service.

If this is the truth then VW dealerships are ruining people's cars with using the incorrect oil specification.

Tswerie
Enlisted

Post by Tswerie »

My cars manual states vw 505.01 fully synthetic. Some 5w30 and 5w40 has the vw 505.01 spec. Not all 5w30 and 5w40 oils has the vw 505.01 spec.

Tswerie
Enlisted

Post by Tswerie »

I drive a 2010 polo 1.6 tdi

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

PeterTech wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:18 am The sales person at the parts department at a VW dealership told me that they use this oil on all VW diesel cars and they have no other oil that they sell or use on cars that come for service.
Ja.......I'd tend not to take parts guys word on what gets used, they don't care and most of the time talk sh!t ..... ask them to put this on record, might result in different answer. Check the proper spec oil for you car and if needed do a oil / filter change asap. :deadhorse:
PeterTech
Enlisted

Post by PeterTech »

Howie-WP wrote:
PeterTech wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:18 am The sales person at the parts department at a VW dealership told me that they use this oil on all VW diesel cars and they have no other oil that they sell or use on cars that come for service.
Ja.......I'd tend not to take parts guys word on what gets used, they don't care and most of the time talk sh!t ..... ask them to put this on record, might result in different answer. Check the proper spec oil for you car and if needed do a oil / filter change asap. :deadhorse:
Well the parts guy might have a point. One service agent at one VW dealership also told me a story similar to this. Apparently they have some sort of a Jojo tank filled with synthetic oil which they use on all cars that are in for a service and require fully synthetic oil.

A VW mechanic in one VW Commercial dealership also told me that as long as the oil is fully synthetic and says 5W40 then they use on all cars that require fully synthetic oil. They don't care about the finer details of the oil. 5W40 is all they care about.

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

PeterTech wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:31 pm They don't care about the finer details of the oil. 5W40 is all they care about.
I've had similar when I had my Mk4 GTi that needed specific oil, I asked the dealership to put in writing:
1. what oil they use in my car
2. that it meets VW's specification.

I would imagine the 5w40 oil with the highest spec would be OK to use across all the models, it is if it's not that it becomes an issue.
GT6
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 3 years 3 months
Membership No: 3361

Post by GT6 »

The VW special G oil is labeled synthetic "technology" and not 100% synthetic. It compares to Shell HX8, but I will stick to Shell Helix Ultra. You can pick up Shell H we lix Ultra at Ace Parts cheap in Springs or use their online shop.
PeterTech
Enlisted

Post by PeterTech »

GT6 wrote:The VW special G oil is labeled synthetic "technology" and not 100% synthetic. It compares to Shell HX8, but I will stick to Shell Helix Ultra. You can pick up Shell H we lix Ultra at Ace Parts cheap in Springs or use their online shop.
This is the picture of the oil I bought and this then means VW is selling us Oil that is not fully synthetic ,unbelievable. Image

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

@ PeterTech, as Amstel stated, does your car not need 507?
PeterTech
Enlisted

Post by PeterTech »

Howie-WP wrote:@ PeterTech, as Amstel stated, does your car not need 507?
I'll have to find out from alternative sources because I went to two VW dealerships and the parts guys and the mechanics tell me that this is the correct oil for my car and as a matter of fact they use it on all VW diesel vehicles

Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

I think, If I remember correctly, 505.01 is for diesel engines without a DPF(diesel particulate filter) and 507 is for the engines with a DPF.

When I did my research they just said either oil is fine, it's just that 507 spec is newer and "superior" according to the VW tech and is more suited to cars with a DPF.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.