Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

1.9 TDI smoking when cold, oil loss

Post by Callum229 »

Hi guys

My VW Jetta 1.9 TDI smokes light blue smoke when it is cold. Its not a huge plume of blue smoke, it is just a small puff and is more apparent when driving while it is cold and only visible when you are behind the car as the smoke isn't major. The issue is, it is losing oil.

The smoking is almost immediate so that would rule out the oil leaking from the hot side of the turbo?

The car never smoked before the head work was done.

The following was done.

- A new "used head" with new seals(Victor Reinz) and valve guides, it was also very lightly skimmed, pressure tested, etc, done by a very reputable company.

- Compression check, all cylinders are within spec.

- Turbo was checked, no oil leaks, intake piping only has a few drops of oil, no play in turbo shaft.

- After head work, car was smoking badly with huge plumes of blue smoke, turns out the Crankcase ventilation pipe was broken, car was driven with that pipe broken for a while(without my knowledge), new pipe installed and it stopped smoking(stopped visibly smoking huge plumes of blue smoke).

- Car takes oil, found an oil leak by the tandem pump, thought it was that, I put a new gasket and sealed it up, no oil leaks at all around the engine.

Car still took oil, although much less, but I would say every 1000kms it will go to the minimum mark or show a visible drop in oil level.

Nothing else weird is wrong with the car, no running problems at all, its perfect besides the oil burning issue.

Please help as it is driving me insane! :crazy:
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Re: 1.9 TDI smoking when cold, oil loss

Post by Killerwatt »

If it all started with the head work, it could just be a valve stem seal that was not installed correctly. Seems you have checked the other common sources alresdy
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: 1.9 TDI smoking when cold, oil loss

Post by Callum229 »

Hi Killerwatt

If the seal was not installed correctly, is it possible to change it without dismantling and removing the whole head?

Could the valve stem seals have gotten damaged when the crankcase breather pipe was damaged? As that would have increased the pressure of the crankcase in the engine.

The smoke isn't much though, and considering that my Toyota Hilux D4D with 600 000kms, smokes way more with a strong blue smoke when it is cold, yet it never requires or ever required a top up of oil(same service intervals, travels much more mileage within a year though), it is certainly boggling my mind as how is it possible for one car to use much more oil with less smoke?
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.