dawie102
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo TDI 96KW

Strange behavior when switching the car off

Post by dawie102 »

Hi All,

So this week, I have noticed something strange with my polo. When I got to work, as I drove towards the underground parking making a left turn, suddenly there were 4 beeps then the car was driving again, no warning light what so ever. Then as I parked the car, I noticed my time and trip and radio stations were all back to factory settings.

The 2 days later, as I was driving home the car did the same lost power, then 4 beeps, then power steering light came on and the car was idling rough for a few seconds then back to normal, but the steering light was still on. As I got closer to the house, while driving I put the car in neutral and switched off the car and back on, then the car alarm went off and all was working fine again.

Last night on my way to pick up my other half, and got into a parking bay, when I switched of the ignition off, all the light, such as interior and exterior light went off. AS soon as I removed the key the alarm went off again and I pressed the unlock button. I inserted the key again all was fine but my trip, time and radio was back to factory.

Any ideas on what might cause this behavior? I have check the battery and all contact are tight. I get 12.4v when car is switched off and when running I get 13-14v so the battery is charging.

Cheers
'04 Polo TDI :grin:
'09 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI DSG
'05 Polo 1.6
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: Strange behavior when switching the car off

Post by Callum229 »

How old is your battery, take it to a battery shop and have them check the battery's health, however as it is resetting while driving as well it does sound like something loose.

It sounds like a loose connection somewhere, I would suggest taking the battery out, check all the ground straps, tighten them, clean battery poles and terminals and hopefully that will fix it, as it does sound as if it is coming from the main cables.

As everything will reset and show the steering icon and run a bit rough if the battery is disconnected for a few seconds or so.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
dawie102
Enlisted

Post by dawie102 »

Callum229 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:43 am How old is your battery, take it to a battery shop and have them check the battery's health, however as it is resetting while driving as well it does sound like something loose.

It sounds like a loose connection somewhere, I would suggest taking the battery out, check all the ground straps, tighten them, clean battery poles and terminals and hopefully that will fix it, as it does sound as if it is coming from the main cables.

As everything will reset and show the steering icon and run a bit rough if the battery is disconnected for a few seconds or so.
Hi Callum,

Thank you for responding.

I am not sure about the age of the battery as I bought it in June from a dealership, all was running well up until this week.

Will check if I can make a turn this weekend at a battery shop.

Thanks.
'09 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI DSG
'05 Polo 1.6
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

Mine did the same a couple of years ago... New battery sorted things out.
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
dawie102
Enlisted

Post by dawie102 »

VGTI wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:15 pm Mine did the same a couple of years ago... New battery sorted things out.
Thank you VGTI, will definitely make a turn the weekend at the shop.
'09 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI DSG
'05 Polo 1.6