2011 jetta 6 2.0 tdi cooling and oil

Humanjs1
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 5 months

2011 jetta 6 2.0 tdi cooling and oil

Post by Humanjs1 »

Good day all
Can someone maybe help me out here just have a few question, after taking my car for a service about a week ago, saw yesterday that my oil temperature on the displayed showed 108 degrees my gauge on the dash didnt even reach 90 degrees. Usually these 2 were always on 90 degrees. Does these 2 measure the same temperature why will they after all this time differ now? Also realised that my fan does not start even if the dash shows 90 degrees and the oil temperature shows 108 degrees. Knowing the car I know the fan always started after driving for a long period and stopped. Took it for a diagnostic bud nothing showed relating to a faulty relay or fan.
Is this normal or what could the cause be?

Thank you.
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: 2011 jetta 6 2.0 tdi cooling and oil

Post by Callum229 »

What spec oil was used, the 1.9 and 2.0 TDI engines require good quality oil (501.00 oil) otherwise they can fail.

if it is reading a higher oil temp then before, it could be that the oil sensor is on it's way out, however the oil will be just fine up to maybe 130 degrees depending on what oil was put there. I wouldn't really worry if the oil is at 110 but the car isn't overheating and has good oil pressure.

Or it could be a more worrying symptom where there is more friction due to the wrong oil and thus more heat produced, but if the correct oil was put, then there isn't anything to worry about.

Fans start up usually for the engine coolant, not oil, as coolant needs to be cooled, the oil and coolant will heat up relative to each other so it won't really make a difference.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.