Missing CAT on 2l tdi CC

Iceman01
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Missing CAT on 2l tdi CC

Post by Iceman01 »

Hi Guys

Purchased a 2011 CC second hand. The guys have removed the CAT and I've got black smoke billowing out the back everytime I accelerate. I'd like to put a CAT back in, perhaps get a used one from a scrapyard but the ones I've found are still hugely expensive. It's been suggested that I simply put a mini CAT and connect the sensor to this to turn off the ECU light? Suggestions please??
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Missing CAT on 2l tdi CC

Post by Ashveer03 »

Minicats not gonna work on diesels, well from what I know.. And it wouldn't solve the problem either.
Firstly, scan the car and see what faults u getting.

Don't put a cat/dpf back in there. Total waste of money.

If the car was equipped with a dpf from factory, and it was removed, best bet is to get software done (if not already done) to write off the dpf from the cars ecu.

Also, it shouldn't smoke much if it has std software on it unless it has an issue somewhere else, like a boost leak or something along those lines.

I would suggest a remap to get rid of the emission faults (if that's the faults that the car is setting) , along with that u can get the tuner to give u a smokeless tune.

BTW, Don't be afraid of some black smoke

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

gegenrally you can get a dpf / cat coded out without needing a TUNED map.yes they will always smoke a little after cat/dpf removal but not billowing clouds.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

The car was likely also tuned hence the clouds of black smoke...cat removal alone wont cause excessive smoke. Getting it flashed back to a stock tune will be your best bet.
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Iceman01
Enlisted

Post by Iceman01 »

Hi guys

Thanks for the advice. I have had the fault removed with the software but after a couple of days the ecu light comes back on so its obviously looking for the reading from the oxygen sensor. It would seem that a remap is the only alternative or installing a mini cat( I've been told that there are no guarantees that this will work). Where would be the best place to get the remapping done? Approximate cost?

Thanks.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

once more - you can run a stock map with the cat / dpf deleted. if your current tuner cannot get it right ask somebody else. You do not need a modified performance map to get rid of a cat / dpf light.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Iceman01
Enlisted

Post by Iceman01 »

Hi, thanks for the advice. Now the issue is that the guys want to charge me R3500 to R4000 to remap and delete the DPF coding from the system. Does this sound right to you, seems a bit expensive? Is there anybody that you can suggest that I take the vehicle to?