VW Polo 1.9 TDI Upgrades

Liam101523
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 5 months

VW Polo 1.9 TDI Upgrades

Post by Liam101523 »

Hi there

I am new to this forum and are extremely interested in upgrading my car to get a little more power out of it as well as maybe upgrade some of its aesthetics. I'd like to redo the rims, colour the brakes and change the headlights to LED's.

I am a bit clueless on the engine side though and was wondering what the best bang for you buck would be when upgrading the engine. I would like to get a dump valve as the sound is amazing but I'm also a little nervous of straight piping it as it is my daily and i don't want to paint every car behind me as i pull off.

I've got a reasonable budget but cant go too overboard.

What would be the best recommendations from you guys.

Thank you :) !!!
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Upgrades

Post by Ashveer03 »

What's ur engine code

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
aristo92
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Model: Golf MK7 GTI IS20H
Membership No: 3133

Post by aristo92 »

Howsit man , and welcome. First thing which variant do you have, the 96kw or 74kw? That will help to establish a base point. A dump valve will not work on a diesel, what you hear is normal a mix between exhaust and intake sounds. Performance wise I think we should first establish a starting point of what you want to achieve and then we can take it from there.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Regards, Armand.

Rides Thread: viewtopic.php?p=2577126#p2577126
FanMan
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9 Tdi

Post by FanMan »

Hello Hi.
Welcome to the forum. :grin:
There is a lot of feeds on the Polo 1.9 Tdi. You can also have a look at these 2 threads to get some ideas... links below.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=170538
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=216892

But what I can suggest as a start is a De-Cat , its a MUST ! And then a software tune.

Here is a straight pipe i did on mine, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YYoFYT9QzI
Im not paining the people behind me yet, hahahaha, but soon... :lol: Oh and its also my daily.
Current : VW Polo 1.9 Tdi Sportline Big Turbo :driving:
https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=216892

Previouse : :cool:
1. Vw Beetle 1.4 1974
2. Vw Beetle 1.6 1982
3. Opel Corsa Utility 1.4i 1999
4. Vw Golf City Sport 1.4i 2009
5. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Highline 2007
6. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Sportline
7. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Classic
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Straight pipe
Software
Wont be too rowdy, will really increase the smiles per gallon factor.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Liam101523
Enlisted

Post by Liam101523 »

Ashveer03 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:22 pm What's ur engine code

I'm not sure what my engine code is, how would i go about finding it ? Sorry am quite clueless when it comes to this stuff
aristo92
Cadet

Post by aristo92 »

Liam101523 wrote:

I'm not sure what my engine code is, how would i go about finding it ? Sorry am quite clueless when it comes to this stuff
Check on your disc it will either start with ASZ or ATD. Is it a 2 door or 4door?

Regards, Armand.

Liam101523
Enlisted

Post by Liam101523 »

aristo92 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:29 pm Howsit man , and welcome. First thing which variant do you have, the 96kw or 74kw? That will help to establish a base point. A dump valve will not work on a diesel, what you hear is normal a mix between exhaust and intake sounds. Performance wise I think we should first establish a starting point of what you want to achieve and then we can take it from there.

It is my daily car so i cant make it super fuel inefficient but i would really like to give it a good boost of power. My goal is basically trying to make it as fast as possible while keeping the economical side of it. I would like it to make a nice bit of noise but again it will be my daily car so i cant have it being too obnoxious. :)
aristo92
Cadet

Post by aristo92 »

Liam101523 wrote:
aristo92 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:29 pm Howsit man , and welcome. First thing which variant do you have, the 96kw or 74kw? That will help to establish a base point. A dump valve will not work on a diesel, what you hear is normal a mix between exhaust and intake sounds. Performance wise I think we should first establish a starting point of what you want to achieve and then we can take it from there.

It is my daily car so i cant make it super fuel inefficient but i would really like to give it a good boost of power. My goal is basically trying to make it as fast as possible while keeping the economical side of it. I would like it to make a nice bit of noise but again it will be my daily car so i cant have it being too obnoxious. :)
Well as stated for now you can do a map, definitely a decat, straight pipe. After awhile when you have more funds you can look at other mods like front mount intercooler and turbo upgrades.

Regards, Armand.

Liam101523
Enlisted

Post by Liam101523 »

aristo92 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:59 am
Liam101523 wrote:

Check on your disc it will either start with ASZ or ATD. Is it a 2 door or 4door?

Thank you, found it ! My engine number starts with ATD and i have the 4 door version of the car :)
Liam101523
Enlisted

Post by Liam101523 »

FanMan wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:56 pm Hello Hi.
There is a lot of feeds on the Polo 1.9 Tdi. You can also have a look at these 2 threads to get some ideas... links below.

But what I can suggest as a start is a De-Cat , its a MUST ! And then a software tune.

Here is a straight pipe i did on mine, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YYoFYT9QzI
Im not paining the people behind me yet, hahahaha, but soon... :lol: Oh and its also my daily.
Your car sounds absalutely amazing! I must definately do that. I was also looking for a way to get the turbo flutter going and my one friend suggested getting a blow off valve but apparently i cant do that on my car. Are there ay other ways of getting a sound like that on the 1.9 TDI ?
Liam101523
Enlisted

Post by Liam101523 »

MarshallGTi wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:05 pm Straight pipe
Software
I'm worried that the straight pipe will make it a bit of a truck and change anything that is behind me when i pull off to black :lol:

The mapping sounds like a good idea though, this will give the car a bit of a power increase if im not mistaken ?
aristo92
Cadet

Post by aristo92 »

Liam101523 wrote:
Software
I'm worried that the straight pipe will make it a bit of a truck and change anything that is behind me when i pull off to black Image

The mapping sounds like a good idea though, this will give the car a bit of a power increase if im not mistaken ?
Straight pipe is not that bad really yeah a map will help with power and fuel economy. Where are you based

Regards, Armand.

Liam101523
Enlisted

Post by Liam101523 »

aristo92 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:31 am
Liam101523 wrote:
Software
I'm worried that the straight pipe will make it a bit of a truck and change anything that is behind me when i pull off to black Image

Straight pipe is not that bad really yeah a map will help with power and fuel economy. Where are you based

I'm based in Rondebosch, Cape Town. I'm also looking to do a bit of asthetics to my car as the "I" on the "TDI" has been stolen off my car and I'd aslo be intersted in maybe something just to make it look a little nicer like mayber headlights or something :)
aristo92
Cadet

Post by aristo92 »

Liam101523 wrote:
aristo92 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:31 am
Liam101523 wrote:
Software

I'm based in Rondebosch, Cape Town. I'm also looking to do a bit of asthetics to my car as the "I" on the "TDI" has been stolen off my car and I'd aslo be intersted in maybe something just to make it look a little nicer like mayber headlights or something :)
Have a mate that has a tdi as well that stays around there. I'd say debadge the rear and tint the lights a lil darker.

Regards, Armand.

FanMan
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9 Tdi

Post by FanMan »

Liam101523 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:08 am
FanMan wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:56 pm Hello Hi.

Your car sounds absalutely amazing! I must definately do that. I was also looking for a way to get the turbo flutter going and my one friend suggested getting a blow off valve but apparently i cant do that on my car. Are there ay other ways of getting a sound like that on the 1.9 TDI ?
I would not recommend the dump valve , you will waste your money , does not work on diesels.
If you are scared of being rowdy, first only do the DeCat it already makes a huge difference and maybe a cold air induction kit for that nice induction noise, as long as you don't travel dirt roads you should be fine, :lol:
As for softwater, You can visit JP Motorsport (RK Motion) they the leaders in Tdi's down in Capetown, Even Thanas, but don't know if they do diesel, but there are many many tuning companies down there, just follow them on Instagram/FB and watch for specials, i know Qtec has a special running now for 1.9Tdi's for R1250.
Current : VW Polo 1.9 Tdi Sportline Big Turbo :driving:
https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=216892

Previouse : :cool:
1. Vw Beetle 1.4 1974
2. Vw Beetle 1.6 1982
3. Opel Corsa Utility 1.4i 1999
4. Vw Golf City Sport 1.4i 2009
5. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Highline 2007
6. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Sportline
7. Vw Polo 1.9 Tdi Classic
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Well unfortunately ATD is not very tuner friendly straight off the bat. The limiters in these are the injectors and turbo.

Stage 1 software can be done with a decat. And it's what I would call safe with original hardware.

Stage 2 requires a front mount intercooler, the ATD turbo wouldn't cope too well with stage 2.

When the turbo does retire u can look for a 96kw ASZ turbo (Bv39b). And then u can do stage 2 file which would push the car to around 130kw, leaving the injectors as the limiting factor.
The clutch will Most likely die around this time too..

When it comes to software, Sr tuned or nothing.

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Liam101523 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:11 am
Software
I'm worried that the straight pipe will make it a bit of a truck and change anything that is behind me when i pull off to black :lol:

You've got those the wrong way round, straight pipe exhaust wont give you black smoke, just frees up the gases leaveing the motor and turbo (decat will give a noticeable improvement), its the remap that gives the black smoke.

Very basically, remap increases the boost and amount of fuel injected. The black smoke is from running a richer mixture. Some tuners load generic maps that run rich all the time so they will smoke all the time, while some tuners put more effort in and make a custom map for each car, so they only smoke when you're driving hard and dont smoke at all when driving normally.

Too much smoke isn't the healthiest thing for the turbo as the particles cause drag on the exhaust wheel of the turbine, but some is necessary to get the best performance, so theres a balance. Stick to the big names that have proven results and have been doing it for a while.

Also, make sure you have some money saved, even the best remap in the world cant protect poorly maintained components that have had a hard life for the past 10+ years. Better safe than sorry. Like Ash said, you're 74kw turbo and the stock injectors will be the limiting factor and if you start asking them to do like 30% extra work they might not last.

Still, totally worth it :evil:
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Agree with Marshall.

U can get smoke free remaps also. Done it before, alot of times. Sr Tuned ftw