Headgasket cost Jetta 4 tdi

ED van Greunen
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 10 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: 2003 mk 4 jetta 1.9 tdi

Headgasket cost Jetta 4 tdi

Post by ED van Greunen »

What is the going rate for having a headgasket re done? Car is a 2003 jetta 4 tdi alh engine.

Suspect water pump failed on the way back from Durban. Only caught it when the dash was shouting at me but it was too late. No water and oil mixing though and no water out the exhaust but the car is not starting anymore just swings.

Weighing up my options to get it repaired or just sell the car as it is
'Racecar' is 'racecar' spelled backwards
Rudi46
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 5 months
Car Make: Nike
Car Model: Walk and see more
Membership No: missing

Re: Headgasket cost Jetta 4 tdi

Post by Rudi46 »

ED van Greunen wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:34 am What is the going rate for having a headgasket re done? Car is a 2003 jetta 4 tdi alh engine.

Suspect water pump failed on the way back from Durban. Only caught it when the dash was shouting at me but it was too late. No water and oil mixing though and no water out the exhaust but the car is not starting anymore just swings.

Deff not worth selling the car. They are awesome cars.
I would say around R2500 with parts?
That's not the biggest job in the world.
Current - 1994 VW Caddy 1.8i
EX - 05 Audi A3 Sportback DSG 2TDI
Ex - 01 VW Golf MK4 TDi Estate
Ex - 00 Triumph Sprint ST(Stollen)
Ex - 83 Caddy
Ex - 02 Audi S3
Ex - Kartcraft Kestrel beach Buggy
Ex - 98 Golf Chico 2L
Ex - 01 Golf 4 Tdi
Ex - 92 Citi shuttle 2L
Ex - 90 Yamaha FZR1000
Ex - 90 Honda CBR400
Ex - 03 Honda NSR150SP
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Rudi46 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:38 am
ED van Greunen wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:34 am What is the going rate for having a headgasket re done? Car is a 2003 jetta 4 tdi alh engine.

Deff not worth selling the car. They are awesome cars.
I would say around R2500 with parts?
That's not the biggest job in the world.
:iagree:

I am sure it has served you @ED van Greunen well to date.
They are known to go on and on clocking up plenty of kilos.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Geez where is that? I will have to take it to a shop unfortunately no space to work on it myself
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

ED van Greunen wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:23 pm Geez where is that? I will have to take it to a shop unfortunately no space to work on it myself
Where you located?
I am sure Panic can sort it out for you.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Pretoria East. Sent him a DM.

Just hoping the damage is not too bad goldwagen dont stock diesel cylinder heads. i switched the car off as soon as the warning came on so hoping there is limited damage
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

there is no way I can fix that for R2500. That is even assuming it really is just a blown headgasket.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

panic-mechanic wrote:there is no way I can fix that for R2500. That is even assuming it really is just a blown headgasket.
Absolutely Agree one hundred and eleventy percent.

Budget 15 to 18 grand to include some preventive maintenance, possible injector service and turbo service.

Diesel injector tips become distorted when the engine overheats, this affects spray patterns and can cause them to leak as well. Bad injectors are bad for diesel engines and can be a major factor in premature failure.

Turbos also dont like getting hot and it's a good idea to at least have it checked while it's not bolted to the motor. Turbo Direct charge around a Grand to run a turbo on a flow bench and inspect it. Failed turbo seals can quickly lead to a runaway diesel, so for me peace of mind is priceless.

Hopefully the cylinders are all ok and the pistons and rings didn't get damaged while the motor got hot, just be sure to inspect the bores properly for vertical lines and dull patches, just to be sure. Use a strong light and dont take anybody's word that it's fine until you yourself have looked.

Keep us updated with the outcome.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Im hoping it didn't get that hot. as soon as the buzzer came on i got it in neutral and by the time i stopped the temp gauge was just below the red. When i opened the bonnet things didnt feel as hot as with the previous times i over heated. (both times being in 2 different Fords)

Waited for it to cool down then got the car to the nearest garage having to stop several times along the way when the needle got too high for my liking.

As the car sits now its still not starting, no coolant lost, no oil and water mixing??
Will dive into it further this weekend.

Anyone know what the compression on the cylinders should be?
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Without physically opening the motor there is no way to know for certain.

At the moment the car is behaving?

Perhaps just get the water pump replaced now and see what happens after that.

No need to fix what isn't broken.
ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

No its not starting at all. it started fine right after the incident with the warmish engine but now that its cooled down it doesn't want to know anything
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

ED van Greunen wrote:No its not starting at all. it started fine right after the incident with the warmish engine but now that its cooled down it doesn't want to know anything
Sorry buddy. Time for a tow truck then.

Take it in to a trustworthy shop and start putting some money aside.

I wont suggest selling it as is, you will lose more money than it will cost you to fix the car. Get it working and enjoy the car for some more years.

Edit: if you have insurance they will cover at least some of the tow. Call them.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I also fetch but like Missioner mentions without at least looking at it I can't even begin to commit to a budget and I can give you an almost written guarantee it ain't going to be R2500. For somebody to give / create that kind of expectation is very wrong and maybe that was true somewhere in the early 80's
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Understood. I have free towing with my insurance. Traced down an engine with 100k km,s less than mine for under 9k on exchange. Weighing out my options but in no rush have my tucson and bike to get me around
ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Car was sold