Polo 1.6 TDI Water Coolant Loss

ES1987
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Polo 1.6 TDI Water Coolant Loss

Post by ES1987 »

Hi guys

I've noticed through the last couple of months my engine coolant tank is losing water slowlyy. During the last week the water receded to just under the minimum line. This morning I was halfway to work (about 15 km's into the drive) before the water light came on.

I don't see water leaks anywhere and I actually took the coolant tank out this weekend to check the pipes and the tank itself for leaks or cracks but could not see anything. Could the EGR cooler be the culprit - could it actually be dumping all the water in such a short time?

Car's got just over 130 000 km's on the clock.

Another thought - could it be the water pump and, if it is, can it be changed without doing the timing belt as well?
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Re: Polo 1.6 TDI Water Coolant Loss

Post by amstel18 »

Could be the EGR cooler.
Quite a common issue. Go have a gas test done at a radiator shop.

Do you know the history? When was the cambelt done? Might be a good thing to do anyway with the water pump at that mileage

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
ES1987
Enlisted

Post by ES1987 »

amstel18 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:27 pm Could be the EGR cooler.

Do you know the history? When was the cambelt done? Might be a good thing to do anyway with the water pump at that mileage

I checked last night and it seems that the cambelt has not been changed. I put the car on ramps and voila - water leak (it really was p*ssing out water). Though I cannot see where the leak is exactly, I have narrowed it down to a spot below the oil cooler but it really is difficult to see. I'll have to remove some of the air pipes etc. to get to the cause.

Will update here soon.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

ES1987 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:08 am
amstel18 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:27 pm Could be the EGR cooler.

I checked last night and it seems that the cambelt has not been changed. I put the car on ramps and voila - water leak (it really was p*ssing out water). Though I cannot see where the leak is exactly, I have narrowed it down to a spot below the oil cooler but it really is difficult to see. I'll have to remove some of the air pipes etc. to get to the cause.

Will update here soon.
Well get the cambelt + Waterpump changed to spare you some tears down the line. Gonna be a much bigger headache than a waterleak when it decides to snap
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
ES1987
Enlisted

Post by ES1987 »

So it turns out that it wasn't a burst pipe... inside the oil filter housing, where the water runs through to the cooler, the inside walls which holds the gasket perished completely (I have no idea how - must be age) and I now have to replace the whole filter housing unit. I'll attach a picture to show the damage. I don't think it will be too expensive, must be at least less than R 2k.

So far this year I've had to replace a gear selector cable, battery and now this filter housing unit.
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

And there is more coming is the sad truth!

SELL IT!
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Sorry but did you come right as yet with the issue?

If you haven't, there's an overflow valve on the waterpump- The mentioned valve gets stuck into an open position leading to the loss in coolant.

I'm on waterpump number 3- none were broken per say, but he overflow valves were all screwed and that singular component cannot be changed even tho the pump itself maybe fine
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
ES1987
Enlisted

Post by ES1987 »

Only feedback on this now - turned out to be the oil filter housing. The inside wall of the water running through the housing perished, along with the gasket that seals it. I fixed it in October, only to have issues again now in late January with more coolant loss.

This time it was the thermostat housing that perished in exactly the same way (I am starting to think that the extreme heat is actually shortening the lifespan of the plastic parts). I replaced the whole thermostat housing. Still have a leak on a pipe that runs adjacent to the engine block to the new thermostat housing. I think the O-ring there probably got damaged in the process.

Interestingly enough - after changing all the parts, my engine-check light comes on every time I start the car and does not go off. Not sure if it has anything to do with some of the sensors I may have unplugged. I am pretty sure I plugged all of them in again.
ES1987
Enlisted

Post by ES1987 »

So after 3 leaks and one O-ring replacement, the water pump also leaked... So I replaced that. Now there's air in the fuel line... Have to get the air out before the car will start. Engine light is still on as well. I feel like I'm going to have to replace the whole engine soon (touch wood).