Diesel under body Cooler...

gPhilipC
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf MK5 tdi, Caddy Utility

Diesel under body Cooler...

Post by gPhilipC »

With much pondering, suffering and swearing my problem seems to be solved... and i am throwing it out there for the rest of you...

I have a 1.9 tdi gold mk5. the problem i was sitting with was that the car would die during long traffic times 1 hour plus. and it would just refuse to start. if it does start it slowly stutters to death. I let it cool of for an hour or so and after a long crank it will slowly stutter back to life (at this time i charge the battery or jump start it).

a little history... i have it for 6 years, redid the head, turbo, clutch through the years and serviced it as i should without fail. i build cars and bikes in my youth and know my way around a car. no expert but i can hold my own. The car the last 2 or so years it had a long crank to start, hot or cold, smoked somewhat and didn't feel to happy with life, new glow-plugs few new sensors and so on...

back to the story...

it it obvious that it is a fueling issue. So with the will of my grandfather, no diagnostics to guide me, and budget that is none excising, i when about tracing the diesel line. From the tank to the injectors, but before i striped all the difficult things i took the covers of to find the diesel lines.

what i find was interesting...
The cooler was not it the correct position... and when i took the covers of it fell down and behold... kinked diesel lines...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qP9F0 ... KaOp4slwjf

kinked at 3 places...

i inspected the the cooler after taking it of and it seemed that it was hit by something and broke its mounts off and moving it out of position kinked the lines and starved the poor engine of diesel.

I bent everything back in position, replaced the lines with DIY style rubber fuel line, new filter and started it... long crank... started.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N5Mr7 ... SLrqFwPmtC

bolted everything back and left it to idle for 3 hours while i was working on my caddy bakkie. i took it for a drive and i found that it is not smoking as much anymore, it idles better and the idle duel usage went from 9l/hr to 5l/hr on idle. i am checking constantly for leaks and seems like the clamps are holding well. big test will be today and tomorrow.

Do any of you think i still need to take it for a diagnostics just to confirm all the other stuff are good, or is the problem fixed?
Ex Rides

VW beetle 1600
Yamaha RZ 350 YPVS Full racing spec motor
VW Beetle 1.8 Motor
Jetta 2 1.8 (Stolen)
Jetta 2 1.8 (was in a sad state when i bought it)
1998 BMW 235 TDS (Respect for the diesel)
VW Citi 1.3
VW Jetta 3
2007 Kawasaki Verses 650
1996 Nissan 1400 AKA "scrappy"

Current Rides

2005 VW 1.9tdi - decat, and tune...
2001 VW Caddy Utlilty - 2l, standard block and head, throttles, branch, free-flow, 298 cam, spitronics management.
Stefan0909
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 1 month
Car Model: Tiguan 2.0TDI

Re: Diesel under body Cooler...

Post by Stefan0909 »

I hope all is fine, but still to make sure, take it for a scan to see if all the other stuff is healthy. Good luck
Ex Rides:
1.4i Velocity Stock
1.4i Kia Rio Stock
1.8i VTEC Honda FRV Stock
Citroen DS3 Techno Pack Stock
Peugeot 208 1.6 Allure Stock DECAT

Current Ride:
VW Tiguan 2.0TDI Stage 1 + DPF, DECAT and EGR done
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

U mean 0.9L/hr to 0.5L/hr idle consumption?

And yes, a scan is important to tell what's going on. U can also view fuel Temps via a scantool

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
gPhilipC
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 10 months
Car Model: Golf MK5 tdi, Caddy Utility

Post by gPhilipC »

Yes, that is what i ment...

Well all is ship shape and i have a happy VW diesel engin.

Starts perfectly at 5 in the morning and starts perfectly when warm.
Idels perfectly in long traffic times.
No clouds of smoke during normal driving.
Idel is smooth and quiet(in relevant terms)

Wifie said the car feels faster.

So my fix works and no leaks. Win for me.
Ex Rides

VW beetle 1600
Yamaha RZ 350 YPVS Full racing spec motor
VW Beetle 1.8 Motor
Jetta 2 1.8 (Stolen)
Jetta 2 1.8 (was in a sad state when i bought it)
1998 BMW 235 TDS (Respect for the diesel)
VW Citi 1.3
VW Jetta 3
2007 Kawasaki Verses 650
1996 Nissan 1400 AKA "scrappy"

Current Rides

2005 VW 1.9tdi - decat, and tune...
2001 VW Caddy Utlilty - 2l, standard block and head, throttles, branch, free-flow, 298 cam, spitronics management.