Polo 1.6 TDI Electrical Issues

ES1987
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Polo 1.6 TDI Electrical Issues

Post by ES1987 »

Hi guys

I've been having issues with my Polo 1.6 TDI (2012) lately where the bulb failure light comes on every time I start the car. The rear number plate lights sometimes work and other times they don't. Some of the times the power steering takes a couple of seconds before it works as well.

I recently fitted a new battery 646CE but I am thinking that I should rather have a 652 fitted. I don't know if that could be the issue.

Other than that, the car sometimes struggles to start and other times cranks and starts immediately.

I don't think that there could be any major electrical issues but I am not sure.

Any one else had similar issues?
smoke.machine
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Polo Tdi

Re: Polo 1.6 TDI Electrical Issues

Post by smoke.machine »

Check the battery earth cables to body
..inspect fuses on battery for cracks
..starter could need an overall......
Current: 9n3 1.9 TDI Pd100...cupra lip..Pgti rear apron
smoke.machine
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Polo Tdi

Post by smoke.machine »

Bulb monitoring can be turned off by someone who has vcds .
Current: 9n3 1.9 TDI Pd100...cupra lip..Pgti rear apron
ES1987
Enlisted

Post by ES1987 »

Thanks smoke.machine

I've checked the earth cable to car, will check the fuses as well.

Think I'll have the starter checked as well. Thanks!
Dublin
Enlisted

Post by Dublin »

Hi. I’m new to the forum and looking for help with my “97 polo classic. I left her home for a month and when I came back she wouldn’t start. The engine just turns over but no lights on the cluster nor does the fuel pump come or or the throttle valve. Please help
Dublin
Enlisted

Post by Dublin »

Hi. I’m new to the forum and looking for help with my “97 polo classic. I left her home for a month and when I came back she wouldn’t start. The engine just turns over but no lights on the cluster nor does the fuel pump come or or the throttle valve. Please help
ES1987
Enlisted

Post by ES1987 »

Dublin wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 am Hi. I’m new to the forum and looking for help with my “97 polo classic. I left her home for a month and when I came back she wouldn’t start. The engine just turns over but no lights on the cluster nor does the fuel pump come or or the throttle valve. Please help
:hijack:
Saiendra
Criminal Troll.
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2019 Polo Vivo 1.4 C/Line

Post by Saiendra »

Dublin wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 am Hi. I’m new to the forum and looking for help with my “97 polo classic. I left her home for a month and when I came back she wouldn’t start. The engine just turns over but no lights on the cluster nor does the fuel pump come or or the throttle valve. Please help
Please start your own thread however it sounds like the battery fuses have come loose. Check the 2 main fuses on the left side of the battery.
Daily - Limestone Grey 2019 Volkswagen Polo Vivo 1.4 Comfortline.
ES1987
Enlisted

Post by ES1987 »

So I've checked the earth cables and they seem to be fine.
The car has recently started to crank for a long time now too, it seems to start on the 2nd try when the engine is cold which is why I suspected the battery initially.

I had the same problem on a previous diesel car (Hyundai Getz) and it turned out to be dirty injectors.
Thing is, I only fill up with 50ppm or 10ppm whenever I am at a Sasol fuelling station?
ES1987
Enlisted

Post by ES1987 »

So after taking the car to my good friends at Bosch - it turned out to be the battery :twisted:
I had a 646CE battery in the car. I bought it from the 2nd hand dealer like that because they read somewhere that the 646CE is used in all models. What they failed to see is that it is the correct battery for all petrol models - the diesel models all use 652's. This seemed to have solved all my issues. I still have a loose connection though as my rear number plate lights sometimes do not work after starting the car.