CarLoss
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Caddy MK3

Caddy 1.9 TDI vs 2.0 TDI

Post by CarLoss »

Hello all

I am looking to buy a caddy however I need advice on weather to get a 2006-2009 old shape 1.9TDI or to spend a bit more and get the more modern looking 2.0 version. The 1.9 falls into my budget of 80-90k however would it be better to spend the 30-40k more and get the 2.0 TDI if so why?

What are the main differences between the models besides the addition of a heat gauge (the missing on on the 1.9 is irritating) :grin: which is more reliable, powerful and economical. (will consider software tuning)

What should I be looking at when buying a Caddy TDI. Its going to be used as a daily runner business vehicle transporting light loads.

Thanks and apologies if this has been asked before I am not sure on how to search on this forum.
TDi
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Caddy 1.9 TDI vs 2.0 TDI

Post by panic-mechanic »

No good reason to get the 2l except for the looks or if you want the more power.
They are completely different engines and the 2l probably quite a bit more expensive to maintain.
If your budget is for the 1.9 then buy that.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: Touareg / Caddy / Polo / Citi
Membership No: missing

Post by OettingerTDi »

Post deleted
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2004 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1998 Jetta 3 CLX (Taken by a friendly chap called Jack)
1993 Uno Turbo
1988 Ford Laser 1600i Sport
CarLoss
Cadet

Post by CarLoss »

panic-mechanic wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:44 am No good reason to get the 2l except for the looks or if you want the more power.
They are completely different engines and the 2l probably quite a bit more expensive to maintain.
If your budget is for the 1.9 then buy that.
Thanks for the reply, how much extra power does the 2l give. Do you think stage 1 on the 1.9 will make up for the difference. Also how much more reliable is it.
TDi
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: 2004 VW Polo 9N Electrical Issue

Post by Ashveer03 »

The 2.0 tdi comes in a 81kw 250nm and 103kw 320nm if I'm not mistaken, the 103kw seems to only be on the dsg variant. This is a 16v common rail injection system with most likely an electronically actuated turbo.
These are also more likely to have a dpf which in my opinion is a pain in the behind.
The 2.0tdi is claimed to have a slightly better fuel consumption than the 1.9

The 1.9 is a 77kw 250nm. This is a PD engine, 8v with a vacuum actuated turbo. Injectors are expensive!

Both seem to be quite reliable if maintained well.

When it comes to modding the 1.9s there's a variety of combinations u can go with and parts are readily available almost everywhere - but when u start modding it never ends. Power is addictive as hell.
The 77kw PD engine should have a similar if not the same turbo as the 74kw polos. If so, those turbos are kind of fragile and don't like to be beated on much.
A stage 1 tune should still be quite safe though - depending on the tuner (millions of people nowdays call themselves tuners yet they can barely tune a radio)
The power u can get from these PD's are crazy, supporting hardware required though.

My opinion is, If u want to buy a vehicle to fiddle with then the 1.9 would probably be ideal. Iv had nothing but Goodluck with PD engines, works for me..

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Pik Sooter
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: MK2 Q5 3.0T l MK2 TT Roadster
Membership No: 1893

Post by Pik Sooter »

Agreed with all here, the 1.9TDI PD105 (74Kw/250Nm) is the way to go. They have massive gains on software, BUT!!! Stock turbo is fragile. Fit the slightly larger and revision "H" PD130 turbo (Came off the Sportline Polo's), they have billet wheels. Injectors on the PD105 is limited, but good for around 120wkw-130wkw reliably, just check what intercooler you have, my Jetta had the GTI front mount vs. the Polo's had the wheel well mount (Small). First mods to do is remove the EGR and DPF (if it has this), blank of plates are around R 250.00 for both, then fit PD130 turbo and new downpipe (PD105 turbo has a round flange vs. the PD130 turbo has triangular flange), but the turbo and exhaust manifold (one unit) is totally bolt on. If you feeling a bit enegetic, you can always slap a larger turbo and injectors on her, they REALLY wake up with boost (150wkw-160wkw and around 500Nm). Check in my signature, I did the PD130 conversion on my PD105 after the turbo **** itself while overtaking a truck @ 90km/h. All in, if you have all the parts and tools needed (VERY basic tools), the conversion will take a day or so, depending on time and expertise, then just to get the car mapped and the EGT and DPF mapped out (else will cuase a check engine light). Some tuners with reputable names will be able to assist, just off the top of my head: RK Motion, SR Tuned, Insane Racing, Dark Artz Performance.. Those are the one's I remember.

EDIT: If you decide to check my old rides thread, check from page 8 onwards for the conversion.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

PD injectors can be refurbed at around R2500 each - you don't have to buy new.
Common rail Piezo injectors cannot be refurbed anywhere in SA currently and are over R12k each.
So saying PD injectors are expensive is a little bit of a stretch considering.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

panic-mechanic wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:48 am PD injectors can be refurbed at around R2500 each - you don't have to buy new.
Common rail Piezo injectors cannot be refurbed anywhere in SA currently and are over R12k each.
Who are the reliable places to refurb them? I've heard some horror stories from places that claim to be able to do PD's but stuff them up bad.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Don't know placeS. know of one and that is Northern diesel in silverton pretoria.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

MarshallGTi wrote:
panic-mechanic wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:48 am PD injectors can be refurbed at around R2500 each - you don't have to buy new.
Who are the reliable places to refurb them? I've heard some horror stories from places that claim to be able to do PD's but stuff them up bad.
Diesel works in PMB KZN did a set for me 3.5 years ago.

Top notch work, just a little pricey as the refurb was about R15k all in.

Overall I've found PD injectors to be very sturdy in non modified motors. Just be sure to set the camshaft preload anytime they come out of the motor.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
CarLoss
Cadet

Post by CarLoss »

Thanks, going to pick up the van tomorrow. Got a 1.9 TDI with for 87k. Van has 186k on the clock but owner put a new vw import motor which apparently has between 80k-100k kms. He says its a BXE motor?

As for modding, probably not going to go crazy as its a work vehicle but got quoted R3.5k from RK and SR for stage 1 which seems fair. Probably wont do much more than that so turbo will still be good?
TDi
CarLoss
Cadet

Re: 2004 VW Polo 9N Electrical Issue

Post by CarLoss »

Ashveer03 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:27 am those turbos are kind of fragile and don't like to be beated on much.
It seems like my turbo died on me 2 weeks after doing software :(
TDi
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Well u will be better off fitting a 96kw turbo (Bv39b) They are way stronger than ur original

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
CarLoss
Cadet

Post by CarLoss »

Ashveer03 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:37 pm Well u will be better off fitting a 96kw turbo (Bv39b) They are way stronger than ur original

Will I need to retune? Any idea what the cost difference is between reconditioning and a bv39
TDi
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Retune will be recommended, however the car should still run on the current file. Speak to ur tuner they should give u a good price on a remap.
But, Even on stock Injectors, a fmic will be needed for a stronger tune.

Brand new Bv39 from the agents is about 10k, second hand will be about 4-5k depending on condition.

Depending on how bad your original is, refurb can cost from 4-7k at Fastec. Wouldn't recommend anybody else regarding turbo reconditioning.