Asz 9n Polo TDI Gearbox & Engine mount

Deezo777
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo TDi

Asz 9n Polo TDI Gearbox & Engine mount

Post by Deezo777 »

I recently found out that my gearbox mount is gone and has started to weaken the bottom engine mount resulting in engine movement.

Which is the reason why my passenger side inner cv boot kept on getting damaged in the same place.

Any advice with regards to having the mounts filled with polyurethane and who can do it for me in the kzn area? What's the pros and cons to this. I got a quote from goldwagen for the mounts and they are ridiculously priced.

Urgent help as I'm in Richards bay and the guy who does filling here of the mount is closed till January

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

WBN
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Model: 9n3 Polo GTi
Membership No: 3056

Re: Asz 9n Polo TDI Gearbox & Engine mount

Post by WBN »

Hwst Deezo...it's normal for the mounts to wear due to the high vibration and torque of the tdi platform, that been said..filling those mounts with polyurethane will only allow such vibration to be carried through the car.

On the side of you getting a mount filled now...I'd say that's going to be very rare cause of the festive season...best bet will be put a post on the tdi page on Facebook and get it shipped to you..that would be your fastest solution outside buying an oem one.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

poly on an engine mount of a tdi will drive you nuts,
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

panic-mechanic wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:45 pm poly on an engine mount of a tdi will drive you nuts,
Even on my Caddy with 16V motor, poly mounts drives me nuts. Feel like I’m going to loose my tooth fillings.
BIGMIG
Porra Love
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Model: 9N3 GTB22/60vk Sportline
Membership No: 1574

Post by BIGMIG »

Driven down this road a few times. I have done the filled route and also did complete poly mounts on both gearbox and engine. The gearbox side tore itself apart and the engine I had in for less than a week because I couldn’t handle the vibration. It was just way to much. The Best gearbox mount that I have fitted is my vibratech. even after having broken the deleray racing dogbone mount (Wikus has already established that it was a poor design) and a brand new engine mount both at the same time. The only one that held on was the vibra. So in terms of what I spent excluding that vibra mount, could easily come up to 10k (a couple of new mounts plus the poly ones plus the laser cutting and design to make a complete gearbox poly mount. Oh and fittment if you can’t do it yourself) The vibra mount I think costs now about 3k landed. It will transmit some vibration into the cabin but nothing as bad as doing a poly dogbone mount. I am busy testing the new deleray dog bone mount but am having issues due to the previous failure. I also did buy both vibra dogbone and engine mounts but have yet to install them so I can’t give my personal input on those two items. However I do have a mate that I bought a vibra dogbone and he did report back that it is very solid and doesn’t allow much movement but at an extreme cost of vibration into the cabin.

You need to be honest to yourself and see where you want the power, torque limit and clutch type to be for your car, because that will determine how aggressive the mounts need to be. If decide to go the poly filled route it will cost more in the long run. Example, you fill your old dodgy mount which is already on its last legs ( lands up failing). Then buy a new which works like it should and then you decide to up the power and torque and that lands up failing as well . Even upgrading the clutch will also put massive strain on the mounts. Then buy another new one, fill it and that too doesn’t work. Finally you deside to buy the correct parts for the application and be happy. All that can be saved if you know where you want to car to be.

If however you only have/want minimal mods and want to make about 170Hp and 450nm then a new mount will be perfect and last a long time.

I know it’s a long read. Just trying to help.
My NoPiel assassin

Goose, soot ninja
Deezo777
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 7 months
Car Model: Polo TDi

Post by Deezo777 »

Thanks for the advice Bigmig

I have got the gearbox mount and dog mount filled and it has made a difference. It was done a week ago and I did experience vibration on the steering and dash only at idle and when switching off but since then it has settled. While driving the car it feels like it has oem mounts. I did mine at a place called Lindsay Castings and he went with a softer compound poly and drilled a few holes in for some flex.

The vibration on the steering has almost completely gone away and this could be due to the mounts settling in. Only time will tell how they hold up as I do launch my car at the robots from time to time and enjoy high speed driving on the toll roads. The guy from the casting place said my old mounts where gone quite soft but they where not torn.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures as my vehicle was left at the mechanic.

Sent from my SM-P585 using Tapatalk