casperjjordaan
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9N TDI ASZ (96KW)

Making a Polo (9N/9N3) more secure.

Post by casperjjordaan »

Hi Guys.

I am new to the VW family. However, being part of law enforcement, I know very well the apart from the Toyota Furtuner, Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger (which I also have) the Polo is one of the top ranking vehicle theft cars here are in our absolutely FANTASTIC country, and, here on the "woes" rand it is no exception. Trust me.

I want to make my beautiful TDI (ASZ) as un-startable (if that's even a word) as possible. I thought of the coil, however, being a TDI it might be more technical as I'd like. 2nd thing that came to mind is, being drive by wire, is it not possible to "through hidden switch" disable the throttle control? In other words the car wil start, but no throttle responce will be present? Can that work? What have you okes done the keep yours, yours?

Here is a Pic of my car, you'll understand that I'd like keep her, MINE!

Thanks for the inputs guys!ImageImage

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Casper Jordaan
www.accustoms.co.za

Current: 2005 Polo 9N 1.9 TDI (Oo oO) 96KW
Current: 2000 Mazda Rustler 160i (Immaculate!)
Current: 2013 Honda Brio
Ex: 2004 Honda CIVIC 170i VTEC
dcmk4
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Model: MK7 GTi

Re: Making a Polo (9N/9N3) more secure.

Post by dcmk4 »

'14 Golf Mk7 GTI
THANAS STG/// ECU&DSG
Littco L380x
All the ponies
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

U can probably switch the ground to the accelerator pedal position sensor, I wouldn't suggest interfering with the signal or power wires

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

The sad reality is that if someone wants to steal a car, they will. No matter if you remove the whole motor every night and lock it away in a walk in safe, they will take it if they want it.

A friend of mine had his Sportline stolen a few years ago. They broke his driveway gate open, broke the garage door open, reversed a flatbed in, and loaded the car and drove off.
He had two tracking systems in it, ECU security bracket installed, aftermarket alarm system, hidden switch for the fuel pump, etc.
It was never found, neither were any of the tracking systems.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Polos are very easy to interfere with

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Best suggestion I can make is to add a toggle switch to the main ECU relay ground wire.

You may want to get it done by a reputable electrician, as if it's done wrong the car will let you down. Why I suggest this that it will prevent the main relay from engaging thus the ECU will remain unpowered and render the car virtually useless as most of the electronics will be disabled along with the engine management. The trick is that the instruments will still light up and the starter will still swing, but engine and any dependant systems will be dead.

It will work on manual and autos and 99% of most modern cars.

One trick I also have seen on a golf 2, was to use one of the accessory switches on the dash as the "idiot" switch. The owner disconnected the rear window demister switch and wired it to the ignition system somehow. This worked a treat. If I remember the car was subjected to about four attempted thefts that I knew of and none were successful. Sadly the car was eventually written off due to the owners drinking habits.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Membership No: 3103

Post by Jet Li »

Jetta2 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:33 pm The sad reality is that if someone wants to steal a car, they will. No matter if you remove the whole motor every night and lock it away in a walk in safe, they will take it if they want it.

A friend of mine had his Sportline stolen a few years ago. They broke his driveway gate open, broke the garage door open, reversed a flatbed in, and loaded the car and drove off.
He had two tracking systems in it, ECU security bracket installed, aftermarket alarm system, hidden switch for the fuel pump, etc.
It was never found, neither were any of the tracking systems.
You've said a mouth full. Thank you for that.
As a reminder:
1. A car is a depreciating asset and you may wake up one day without it for various reasons apart from being stolen.
2. Another sad reality is that cars get involved in accidents and sometimes insurance companies getaway without paying.
3. As mentioned above they will take it if they want to and may use deadly force if they so choose.

Your polo looks very nice and it will be painful if you may have to loose it that way, I'm just reminding you that our lives are worth more than the cars we get to drive. Thanx
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)