Valcon
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Crosspolo
Membership No: 3243

Wear on 1.9tdi cylinder head

Post by Valcon »

Hi guys, I need some help from more experienced guys.
Below is a picture of my head that i removed from my car because of bent valves. when i removed the injectors i noticed some wear on the head where the o-ring on the injector is (marked in red)...has anyone had issues with this???
Side note, i have bought a new cylinder head because i dont want issues later on.
Current:

2009 VW Crosspolo 1.9tdi with Qtec stage one remap.
2015 VW Polo 1.2Tsi ( The Wifes Car)
Ex:

1989 VW Golf MKll GTi - Engine swapped to a 2.0L 8v long block with dickator management - SOLD
1993 VW Golf MKlll GTi - SOLD
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Wear on 1.9tdi cylinder head

Post by Ashveer03 »

From what i know, that sort of wear is caused by a loose injector. How deep is the ridge?

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Valcon
Wheel Whore

Post by Valcon »

The wear on number 2, injector in the pic is the worst. its hard to gauge the depth but i would guess around 0.5 - 1.0mm
Current:

Ex:

1989 VW Golf MKll GTi - Engine swapped to a 2.0L 8v long block with dickator management - SOLD
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

In my opinion, that would cause an issue. Possibility of the seals not sealing because of the wear, or the seals getting damaged when fitting the injector in.

I personally wouldnt want to use that head. However, U probably might get away with trying to lightly sand down the burrs and maybe use slightly little thicker o-rings, but i wouldnt encourage that, its a chance.. if im not mistaken theres a few guys on the tdiforums who have dealt with this problem - i cant remember the outcome though.

I also noticed a wear mark below the 1 that u have outlined.
Was the injector nozzle damaged by the valves?

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Valcon
Wheel Whore

Post by Valcon »

Ill take a look at the tdi forum to see what they did. Nothing else was damage by the valves besides the valves themselves, however I bought a new head and replaced everything besides injectors and and cam...thought i would try and fix the old head incase someone is in a jam and needs it.
Current:

Ex:

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

If i were u, i would sell the head as is so the responsibility of repairing that is their own (inform them ofcourse)