Water pump leak after timing belt replacement at 104500km

IAINK
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Caddy Crew Bus 2.0 TDi

Water pump leak after timing belt replacement at 104500km

Post by IAINK »

I took my Caddy Crew Bus 2.0 TDi in for a timing belt change on at 104 500km. When I collected the car I noticed a rattle in the engine compartment, which was not there before the service. The mechanic came to listen from outside the car, with the bonnet open. Unfortunately the rattle was only prominent from inside the cab and I didn’t realise this at the time. He stated that the noise he heard was normal and that it was the water pump running. A couple of months after the service, the cooling water reservoir level had dropped to a point where the dashboard warning signal came on. I had to top up with about 750ml of water. Another couple of months later the same thing happened again and I decided that I had better bring the car in to get it checked out to establish the reason for the water loss and the rattle. The dealership then informed me that the water pump was leaking and that I should replace it.
My Questions are:
1. Is it possible that changing the timing belt could have caused the water pump leak?
2. Is it advisable to change the water pump every time that the timing belt is changed? - note that this particular pump had a plastic impeller and was replaced with the same
3. Has anyone on this forum experienced a similar problem?
Boost
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Caddy pickup
Membership No: 1921

Re: Water pump leak after timing belt replacement at 104500km

Post by Boost »

1. Anything is possible
2. Yes it is advised to replace water pumps when they run on the cam belt as well.
3. I have experienced a water pump failure a couple of months after replacement. The shaft seal on the pump was the route cause of failure.
Current: 2008 VW Caddy R-Line 20V BIG T :driving:
2009 CW 9n3 Polo Gti
2012 Holden Captiva 2.2d LX
Ex:
2011 Holden Cruze Equipe
2010 Great Wall V240 Ute
2017 Chev Captiva 2.2d LT daily
2000 Vw Citi 1.6i
2013 GW Audi A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI SE S-Tronic (POS)
2006 Volvo S40 T5
2004 Nissan 350Z Coupe
2000 VW Golf 4 GTI (247wKw @ 1.3bar)
2007 Fiat Grande Punto
1994 Fiat Uno Turbo
1994 Fiat Uno Pacer