2007 Jetta 5 1.9 TDI

Shiro
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

2007 Jetta 5 1.9 TDI

Post by Shiro »

Good Day Gents,

Shot in the Dark here but I'm out of options. New to Forums so Ill just post All the information I have on the problem so far

I bought My Wife a Jetta 5 1.9 Tdi from Auction and car Struggles to start in the morning, and by struggling I'm killing a fully charged battery before it starts.

Symptoms of car:

1. Not starting when its been standing Over night and its cold the next Morning
2. Very Low on power, Had it on a Dyno and only Producing 51kw and 160nm (77kw Motor)
3. Slow revving and acceleration, especially in the mornings after start up.
4. After the 1st start car starts in one crank of the Motor
5. Car also seems to be performing very well when the Ambient Temperature is hot, Sunday the car felt like its fixed itself but it was like 30 Deg outside, Next day slightly cooler same problem
6. According to the Dyno It looks like the boost only kicks in @ 2400RPM

Whats been done to the car to try and fix the problem :

1. Cam belt Service, Oil Change, Oil Filter and Air Filter, Did all these as I did not know the History of the car
2. Scanned for Error Codes - EGR Insufficient Flow (RAW Values indicated that the EGR was Reading correctly) - Had the EGR Cleaned anyways.
- Glowplug on Bank 3 showed open Circuit, Looks like it broke off from harness but was told this wouldn't make a big
difference to the power or starting
3. Replaced Fuel Filter in Engine bay on Saturday and car Performed well but again ambient Temps were 30 deg
4. Checked for Boost Leaks None found
5. Was told maybe the Cat and exhaust was clogged so I had a Straight pipe fitted and the Cat hit out.
PS- After I did the straight Pipe you can hear the car Dumping all of its boost if you change gear before 2400RPM As if the Turbo is boosting at lower RPM but Motor only 'Accepting' the boost @ 2400RPM

Willing to try anything at this stage.

NO BLACK SMOKE WHEN STARTING OR ACCELERATING Just very light smelly smoke when the car finally starts in the morning

Thanks in advance.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Re: 2007 Jetta 5 1.9 TDI

Post by Neuk »

It could be a number of things based on all the symptoms you have but I am sure the TDi experts will give their ideas. From my limited knowledge, a sensor fault, injector timing or faulty injectors or faulty VNT system could all be possible causes. The glow plug shouldn't contribute much to starting in our warm climate and the 1.9 TDi PD engines in the MkV platform don't dump boost.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Shiro
Enlisted

Post by Shiro »

Neuk wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:13 pm It could be a number of things based on all the symptoms you have but I am sure the TDi experts will give their ideas. From my limited knowledge, a sensor fault, injector timing or faulty injectors or faulty VNT system could all be possible causes. The glow plug shouldn't contribute much to starting in our warm climate and the 1.9 TDi PD engines in the MkV platform don't dump boost.
Thanks, So now I can Scratch the Glowplug Issue from the list,

Ill see if I can supply a Audio Clip of what the "Dumping Boost" Sounds like very hard to describe what it sounds like, Oh and it comes from the exhaust since the straight pipe.

Regards
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Sounds like the cam timing is out so the injectors arent doing what they should when they should. Have someone read the injector values on VCDS and see if they're in spec and timed right.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

U could have a number of issues as Neuk said.. u gonna have to do a few tests and checks

To list a few for the starting issue and since it was before the cambelt change..
1. Dead intank fuel pump (normally hear it squirt when putting the key on)
2. Leaking injector seals (if u put a clear hose from the return line to fuel filter u would see air bubbles)
3. Leaking tandem pump gasket (oil or fuel will be leaking down the engine)
4. Wouldnt hurt to check torsion values either..

For the boost issues..
1. I would check vacuum lines
2. Sticky vnt
3. Misadjusted stop screw or actuator
4. A faulty actuator

U can kind of test the actuator and vnt mechanism to see if it moves freely or getting stuck. If im not mistaken, group11 (i think) basic settings will open and close the vnt for u when idling.

Being an auctioned car, people tend to swap parts before it goes. Hope u are not a victim of that

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Shiro
Enlisted

Post by Shiro »

MarshallGTi wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:17 pm Sounds like the cam timing is out so the injectors arent doing what they should when they should. Have someone read the injector values on VCDS and see if they're in spec and timed right.
Makes Sense as I did Find a Invoice for a new set of lifters in the car when I bought it, Will take it to the local VW shop here and ask them to check for me

Thanks
Shiro
Enlisted

Post by Shiro »

Ashveer03 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 pm U could have a number of issues as Neuk said.. u gonna have to do a few tests and checks

To list a few for the starting issue and since it was before the cambelt change..
1. Dead intank fuel pump (normally hear it squirt when putting the key on)
2. Leaking injector seals (if u put a clear hose from the return line to fuel filter u would see air bubbles)
3. Leaking tandem pump gasket (oil or fuel will be leaking down the engine)
4. Wouldnt hurt to check torsion values either..

For the boost issues..
1. I would check vacuum lines
2. Sticky vnt
3. Misadjusted stop screw or actuator
4. A faulty actuator

U can kind of test the actuator and vnt mechanism to see if it moves freely or getting stuck. If im not mistaken, group11 (i think) basic settings will open and close the vnt for u when idling.

Being an auctioned car, people tend to swap parts before it goes. Hope u are not a victim of that

Thanks, Will test all of the above Tomorrow Morning,

The In tank Pump would have been next on my list but they bit Pricey to just replace to see if it fixes the problem but will listen to the tank tomorrow morning and see if I hear anything.

Thanks
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

Crank angle sensor known to cause hard start issues on the TDI's also if I am not mistaken.
But also if the issues started after cambelt replacement then pretty decent chance the timing is out
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
boost'd
Criminal Troll.
Registered for: 13 years 4 months
Membership No: missing

Post by boost'd »

Cam position sensor, cam timing or injector seals are your culprit for not starting.
Try parking the car with the nose facing down a slope over night and see if the car starts easier.

I would also look at injectors as a whole on the car after the lack of power and "boost being dumped" out the exhaust.. if I'm not mistake I know the exact noise you talking about.
EIGHTYSIXAUTOMOTIVE/ACD PERFORMANCE/RK MOTION
dazza
Field Marshal

Post by dazza »

boost'd wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:58 pm Try parking the car with the nose facing down a slope over night and see if the car starts easier.
Can you explain perhaps why this would make a difference, is it something to do with the cam sensor?
Darryn Van Rooyen
Previous:
12' MKVI GTI Manual
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

dazza wrote:
boost'd wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:58 pm Try parking the car with the nose facing down a slope over night and see if the car starts easier.
Can you explain perhaps why this would make a difference, is it something to do with the cam sensor?
This sometimes helps when there is air in the fuel lines.. nothing to do with sensors

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Shiro
Enlisted

Post by Shiro »

HI Gents, So The Timing has been advanced a little bit using the cam gear, This Morning she Fired up straight away, The Boost Dump sound is less and you can actual hear the turbo spool when driving through the rev Range, Problem now is she is very lazy at the top end now where in the past she was lazy low end so maybe I did not solve the problem yet and leaning towards injectors now
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Did u check the syncro angle on vcds? Group4 block4. It must be 0.

MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Ashveer03 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:27 pm Did u check the syncro angle on vcds? Group4 block4. It must be 0.

:iagree: this... adjust and and scan until its spot on. also remember that diesels in general aren't peaky at the top end of the rev range like a petrol would be
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

A big turbo will be, a kp39 and stock software will not keep the car lively at high rpms

dazza
Field Marshal

Post by dazza »

It seems like clearly you have adjusted the timing for the better hence the improvement but it may be that it is not yet 100% correct and needs to be set optimally?
Darryn Van Rooyen
Previous:
12' MKVI GTI Manual
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

And it could simply be a dead / faulty airflow meter. Have you even looked at the values it is reading?.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Shiro
Enlisted

Post by Shiro »

Hi Guys, So I drove up to JHB and must say car felt better after the Timing was set. Since I got in JHB the car is so dead between 800 and 1800 rpm I cant even get away at certain robots, Starting issue started again. What I did notice yesterday when checking the oil lvl there's tiny little bubbles on my dipstick what could this be?